Honored Contributor

I am baking impaired but keep the ingredients around to make these scones occasionally on the week end. It is easy to keep a stick of butter in the freezer and I usually have some cream around.

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup frozen butter
1 cup whipping cream, divided

Pre heat oven to 450. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Grate frozen butter on a box grater and stir in with a fork. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 T cream stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn dough out onto parchment paper. Gently pat dough into a 7 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges. Place 2 inches apart on parchment covered baking sheet. Brush the tops with remaining 2 T cream just until moistened.

Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.

I sometimes add brown sugar instead of white sugar. You can leave the sugar out and stir in 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped bacon and 2 T chopped chives with the cream. Adding 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese and 3/4 finely chopped ham with the cream is also delicious. Dried cranberries or currents can also be added.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this recipe. I usually have these ingredients on hand and since I wouldn't have to wait for anything to thaw or come to room temperature, I could make these pretty quickly.

Trusted Contributor

Grating the frozen butter is genius! I will definitely try this one. Thanks so much.

Respected Contributor
This was also posted on the old QVC BB, unfortunately I don't know who did. I've made these a number of times, they are very light and delicious. Lainey

Fruit & Cream Scones was posted by autumnleaf several years ago and are both a favorite of mine as well. I also copied yours DiAnne since I love scones, thanks

Fruit & Cream Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dried fruit (currants or cranberries)
1-1/4 cups heavy cream

Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use an ungreased baking sheet.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl, stirring with a fork to mix well.
3. Add the dried fruit.
4. Still using a fork, stir in the cream and mix until the dough holds together in a rough mass (the dough will be quite sticky).
5. Lightly flour a board and transfer the dough to it.
6. Knead the dough 8 or 9 times.
7. Pat into 2 circles about 6 inches round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges and place each piece on the baking sheet, allowing about an inch between pieces.
8. For the glaze, spread the butter over the top and sides of the wedges; sprinkle sugar on top.
9. Bake for about 11 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 16 scones

I have a favorite scone recipe--Hope you enjoy these! --oceantown

Sweet Vanilla Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3 1/2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons skim milk, if needed

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Stir together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Stir together the yogurt, egg yolks and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir lightly with a fork. Add milk, if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough begins to clump together. (Dough will be sticky.)
3. Gather dough on lightly floured surface and knead just three or four times or until the dough holds together. (Do not overwork!) Pat dough into a square, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into nine square scones. Lightly brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Place scones on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown.

Coconut Scones POSTED BY JERZ GIRL

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
2 large eggs
1/4 cup raspberry or cherry jam

In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk to blend. Stir all but about 1 tablespoon egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.

Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and pat into an 8-inch round Slide round onto a buttered 12 x 15 inch jellyroll pan and cut into 8 wedges, leaving wedges in place. Brush top of round with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Make a 1-inch diameter depression on top of the wide end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.

Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Re-cut scones to separate and serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 8 scones.

Honored Contributor

doglover - I am definitely going to give the fruit and cream one a try. Interesting that there is no butter.

Super Contributor

I don't know where the idea came from to use cream in scones. I've always used yogurt.

Valued Contributor
On 7/21/2014 doglover3 said:

Coconut Scones POSTED BY JERZ GIRL

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
2 large eggs
1/4 cup raspberry or cherry jam

In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk to blend. Stir all but about 1 tablespoon egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.

Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and pat into an 8-inch round Slide round onto a buttered 12 x 15 inch jellyroll pan and cut into 8 wedges, leaving wedges in place. Brush top of round with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Make a 1-inch diameter depression on top of the wide end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.

Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Re-cut scones to separate and serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 8 scones.

doglover3, I don't see milk as an ingredient in the recipe. I had saved the recipe when it was posted, too...I checked mine, and milk was not listed, so I did an online search. I found that it should be 1/2 cup milk. I thought I'd share! Here's the link to the recipe.... Thank you for sharing!

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Coconut-Scones-My-Recipes?columns=5&position=1%2F50

Valued Contributor

Wanted to make sure my previous message was seen by doglover3...and others, in case they try to make the Coconut Scones recipe above Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

My favorite, easy scone recipe that never fails is Alton Brown's. Search for it @ Food Network.com.

Respected Contributor
On 7/22/2014 DiamondGirly said:
On 7/21/2014 doglover3 said:

<br /> Coconut Scones POSTED BY JERZ GIRL<br /> <br /> 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour<br /> 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut<br /> 1/2 cup rolled oats<br /> 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided<br /> 2 teaspoons baking powder<br /> 1/4 teaspoon salt<br /> 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks<br /> 2 large eggs<br /> 1/4 cup raspberry or cherry jam<br /> <br /> In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.<br /> <br /> In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk to blend. Stir all but about 1 tablespoon egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.<br /> <br /> Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and pat into an 8-inch round Slide round onto a buttered 12 x 15 inch jellyroll pan and cut into 8 wedges, leaving wedges in place. Brush top of round with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Make a 1-inch diameter depression on top of the wide end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.<br /> <br /> Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Re-cut scones to separate and serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely.<br /> <br /> Makes 8 scones.<br />

doglover3, I don't see milk as an ingredient in the recipe. I had saved the recipe when it was posted, too...I checked mine, and milk was not listed, so I did an online search. I found that it should be 1/2 cup milk. I thought I'd share! Here's the link to the recipe.... Thank you for sharing!

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Coconut-Scones-My-Recipes?columns=5&position=1%2F50

thank you very much. I wasn't on, DH was in both the hospital than rehab for the last 6 weeks and I have been there most of the time so glad I saw this post and will change my recipe, thanks so much, glad you saw that.