Super Contributor

Wanted: Vegetarian "Pork & Beans" Recipe

DH loves those canned beans. Bush's makes a great canned product, Vegetarian Baked Beans, that I would like to copy. Not exactly copy, but I want to make a similar bean dish from scratch. I've been successful at eliminating most canned foods from our pantry, (not happy with the chemicals in the liner, as well as the canned taste) as making from scratch is NOT that hard once you do it. (I always say that what seems "time consuming" mostly is the brain work you have to do when trying something new, or, what occupies the learning curve.)

So, I'm hoping someone makes beans from scratch here that could share a recipe. Hopefully no added fat, but I could modify that part myself. I do believe in soaking beans and pouring off the liquid, thus getting rid of much of the plant's chemicals that are not good for our digestion.

What would be amazing is a recipe that I could "can" myself, in GLASS jars.

- Bird

Super Contributor

Re: Wanted: Vegetarian ""Pork & Beans"" Recipe

I would be interested too.
Super Contributor

Wow! Canning your own beans? Good for you, Bird! Like midnight, I'll be interested to see the replies. Hope you find what you're looking for.

I did try a quick online search, but all I came up w/ is a recipe from "Mother Thyme" which claims to be as good as Bush's beans - but it uses canned navy beans. Here it is:

Baked Beans, from Mother Thyme

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose unsulphured molasses

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp tomato paste

2 tbsp maple syrup

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

3 tsp ground mustard

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

3 (15.5oz) cans navy beans (like Goya) rinsed, & drained

2 tbsp bacon bits (skip!)

1/2 - 1 cup water

salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, stir together first 8 ingredients, and then add the beans & stir to coat.

2. Add 1/2, up to 1 cup of water, and bring to boil. Let boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't let burn.

3. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 50-60 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

Respected Contributor

Vegan Baked Beans

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package dry navy beans
6 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped sweet onions
1 clove garlic, minced
4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions

Place beans and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender. Drain, and transfer to a large casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until tender. Mix in garlic, and cook until golden brown. Mix onions and garlic into casserole dish with the beans. Stir in the tomato sauce. Mix in brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, bay leaves, mustard, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
Cover and bake 3 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, stirring frequently and adding water if necessary. Remove cover, and continue baking 30 minutes.

Super Contributor

Thank you Sabatini2 and tiny 2. Yeah, I want to can some of the finished product, not because I am industrious, mind you, but because I am lazy. I may as well double or triple the batch and then can half pints or pints for DH to have in future meals, involving no work at all except for heating. I got over the canning hump a few years back, so that no longer "feels like work" if you know what I mean. - Bird

PS Just an FYI, the can I heated up for him last night had a touch of clove in it. You can't be so exact with spices, as each will contain a different percentage of essential oil. This can of B's Vegetarian Beans, however, had a distinct clove element.

Contributor

These are very good recipes; but if you don't feel liking cooking you can also get very good vegetarian baked beans in a box at stores like Whole Foods and Earthfare.

Super Contributor

We love the dry beans over canned. This is the one I make ... just made some yesterday for the weekend!

Vegetarian Baked Beans …. my tweaked version

1 lb. mixed dry beans(about 3 cups) soaked over night and rinsed

1 med onion ordry onion flakes

1/3 cbrown sugar or maple syrup

2 Tbsp molasses

1/4 c ketchup

2 Tbsp yellow mustard

1 Tbsp paprika ( I use half spicy and half regular)

1 1/2 TbspWorcestershire sauce

1/2 c salsa

2 tsp dry mustard

2 Tbsp vinegar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional ...5-6 slices bacon

Soak beans overnight. Rinse and put in crockpot or slow cooker with just enough water to cover,on high for about 3 hours. Add the other ingredients, lower to med and cook another hour or so.

My note …Let marry over night to get the best flavor.

My edit .... Sorrry, the preview was not all scrunched up like that.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Tabbycat said:

We love the dry beans over canned. This is the one I make ... just made some yesterday for the weekend!

My edit .... Sorrry, the preview was not all scrunched up like that.

Here you go, Tabbycat!

1 lb. mixed dry beans(about 3 cups) soaked over night and rinsed

1 med onion or dry onion flakes

1/3 c brown sugar or maple syrup

2 Tbsp molasses

1/4 c ketchup

2 Tbsp yellow mustard

1 Tbsp paprika ( I use half spicy and half regular)

1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 c salsa

2 tsp dry mustard

2 Tbsp vinegar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional ...5-6 slices bacon

Directions:

Soak beans overnight. Rinse and put in crockpot or slow cooker with just enough water to cover,on high for about 3 hours. Add the other ingredients, lower to med and cook another hour or so.

My note …Let marry over night to get the best flavor.

Super Contributor

Bird, while I'll agree that you're industrious, I sincerely doubt that you're lazy! Not only are you trying to prepare healthy, nutritious meals, you're canning! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I've always been too petrified to can anything, because I think I'll end up poisoning us all. It was bad enough making baby formula back in the day! Speaking of,...my mom said that one time when we were babies and she was making baby formula & sterilizing the bottles, someone sneezed in the kitchen, and she threw it all away, and started over again. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

Here's my favorite beans - although I usually cook them in my crockpot on low for 8 hours or on high for less time if your hubby's really hungry. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honey baked beans
2 c. dried navy beans, or 1 c. navy and 1 c. pinto beans

3/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. honey
1 c. water
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced

Soak dried beans in 6 cups of water with a piece or two of ginger root or a few drops of ginger oil for at least eight hours or overnight. Drain water from beans and remove ginger root if used.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick spray. Fill with soaked beans.

Mix together ketchup, honey, water, spices and diced onion. Pour over beans and stir in. Cover casserole dish and bake for 4 - 5 hours, stirring every 2 hours or so. Add more water during cooking if needed. Serves 4 - 6.

-As for the oil, it replaces the fat you would find in bacon baked beans. I've never omitted it, but I suppose you could.