Honored Contributor

This recipe is from a steak house that I don't think is around anymore but it is delicious.

4 ears fresh corn
1 cup whipping cream
1 t cornstarch
2 T parmesan cheese
2 oz butter
salt, pepper and pinch of sugar

Remove kernels and place in pan. Cover with cream, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch with water and stir into cooking corn. Stir gently until thickened. Transfer to an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter. Brown under the broiler. Keep in slow oven (250) until serving time.

Super Contributor
I remember..... Thanks!!!! Pretty sure they are still around, Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area..... Also known for their bone in prime rib and English trifle!!!!
Valued Contributor

I remember Gulliver's by the JW airport. I loved eating there and the corn was to die for. Thanks for the recipe!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

How much water would you add to the 1 teaspoon of cornstarch? I struggle w/ cornstarch thickening!!

Would this dish taste more like a creamed corn, do you think?

TIA!

Super Contributor
On 7/18/2014 RespectLife said:

How much water would you add to the 1 teaspoon of cornstarch? I struggle w/ cornstarch thickening!!

TIA!

As a rule, I usually use about twice the water to cornstarch for small amounts, so probably two tsps water for one tsp cornstarch. I just put it in a small cup and mix it with my finger.. Yes Gullivers corn is more like a lightly creamed corn..as I recall, the guy who started it had worked for Lawry's, and left to open his own restaurant...back in the 1970's I believe. It was one of John Waynes favorite restaurants.. And it IS still there!
Honored Contributor
On 7/18/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 7/18/2014 RespectLife said:

TIA!

As a rule, I usually use about twice the water to cornstarch for small amounts, so probably two tsps water for one tsp cornstarch. I just put it in a small cup and mix it with my finger.. Yes Gullivers corn is more like a lightly creamed corn..as I recall, the guy who started it had worked for Lawry's, and left to open his own restaurant...back in the 1970's I believe. It was one of John Waynes favorite restaurants.. And it IS still there!

THANK YOU!!

2:1 I should be able to remember this!!

My DH is going to love this. He loves creamed corn, even from a can. I cringe at the smell when I open the can but this recipe may taste and smell delicious!! It will be so fresh!

Regular Contributor

DiAnne: would using frozen corn work with this? Perhaps thawing the corn first or running the frozen under hot water and draining before starting this?? Have you ever used frozen?

I was looking for a simple recipe like this at X-Mas time but never found anything as simple and delicious sounding as this. I must make this soon for DH and myself. We seem to eat corn a lot. It's his favorite. Thanks for posting this and I hope you or someone else sees my question about frozen and answers.

Honored Contributor

RespectLife - It is cream corn but way better than that out of a can!

AnneMary - I think it would be better with fresh corn but frozen corn would probably still be delicious. I would be great at part of Christmas Dinner!

Valued Contributor

I have made this with frozen baby white corn (C&W brand) and it was delicious. Hard to find C&W here in Texas.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Valued Contributor

Was wondering if "bring to a simmer" means not boil? Also, when you put it under the broiler does that curdle the cream? Anxious to try this recipe on company coming in August!