Honored Contributor

Another use for rotisserie chicken with an Indian flair.

SPICE BLEND:
1 T garam masala
1-1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cayenne

Stir together in a small bowl and set aside.

SAUCE:
3 T butter
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 t minced garlic
1 T tomato paste
15 oz can tomato sauce
14-1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
10 oz box frozen peas, thawed
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 rotisserie chicken, skin off and pulled into bite size chunks

Melt the butter in 12 inch nonstick skillet over med heat. Add onion and cook stirring frequently until just turning gold (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, tomato paste and spice blend and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Simmer over low heat until chicken is heated through (about 5 minutes). Remove to serving dish.

Add peas and cream to pan. Stir well and heat through. Do not boil. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.

Serve with rice and warmed pita bread.

4 servings

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for this recipe. I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread. I just got back from London, flying on British Airways. For dinner, they served a dish called Butter Chicken which had a slight curry taste. For airline food, it was really very good. I am sure this recipe will be even better as the airlines have to keep everything a little bland. I had been hoping that I would find a recipe for it. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Thanks

Respected Contributor

For a quick version of this dish, I bought a package of the seasoning paste from Amazon as a Gold Box Deal one time several years back & liked it so well, I've kept on reordering it. It comes in a package of 6 pouches for about $10 that you use with 1 lb. of raw boneless chicken, 3 tbsp. of butter & water & one pouch in a saucepan & simmer for 20 minutes.

It's really tasty & quick to prepare, so you might check it out, if you're lazy like me!

Go to Amazon & type in "Kitchens of India Paste for Butter Chicken Curry, 3.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)" in the search bar & it should bring it up for you to look at. It's really quite good over rice after it's cooked & has many 5 star reviews.

Super Contributor

Tiger brand makes a FABULOUS Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce.

1. cut up 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs, if you prefer -- but must be boneless).

2. saute chicken in pan just until they get browned on one side

3. pour in sauce

4. bring to boil; then simmer on Low for about 10 minutes.

Easey peasey and yummy!

Variations:

1. I add in about 1/2 cup frozen peas

2. also add in 1 sauteed onion

3. for extra flavor, put in 1T curry powder

4. use about 1/2 cup coconut milk to "clear out" the jar of all the sauce that you were not able to scoop out: put in coconut milk, put lid back on jar and shake vigorously....then pour into pan.

Trusted Contributor
This receipe sounds delicious and east. I love butter chicken but have always had it in restarants. Thanks! * * * * **********debcakes, which Were End shows did you see?
Respected Contributor

I got this at Trader Joe's last week. I had never heard of it and it looked interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.

Trusted Contributor

RitasNo1fan,

We didn't go to any West End shows this time. On the night when we were going to go, my mom and I were a little tired and were leaving for Prague the next day. We went to Rock the Ballet: The Bad Boys of Ballet at the Sadler Wells, Peacock Theatre. It was closer to where we were staying and got out earlier. It was really good. Who knew ballet could be done to rap music? At the end, for one of the encores, they gave us a little bit of a Chippendale's routine.