Honored Contributor

Am looking for a tried and true pea salad recipe. I sliced my finger with a sharp knife{#emotions_dlg.crying} and haven't been able to do the prep work for my meals; stopped by the grocery deli for already prepped stuff and bought pea salad. It had bacon and onions and water chestnuts along with the dressing. It was ok but want a really flavorful , kind of healthy recipe. Will check out Pinterst but knew someone here prob has a kick a(s)s family recipe they would share.

thanks-----

Super Contributor

I use canned peas and carrots and just mix it with some mayonnaise - not healthy. I also include 2 or 3 chopped up hard-boiled eggs on the top. It is fast and easy.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Super Contributor
Bag of frozen peas... thaw, don't cook...can of sliced water chestnuts,a few sliced green onions, a few strips crumbled crisp bacon, some cubed or shredded cheddar, dress with half mayo and half ranch....it's also good with shrimp in it.. also good with chopped hard boiled egg....
Respected Contributor

My mother used to make this recipe with canned peas, mayonnaise, grated or finely chopped baked ham, and grated cheddar cheese. I have also added a bit of chopped red onion and red or green pepper as well to kick it up a notch. You can substitute cooked elbow macaroni for the peas in this recipe and add some sweet pickle relish as well to make a nice macaroni salad.

When it gets hot here in the summer, I sometimes like making a "salad supper" with my family's favorite salads. Three bean salad, Sonoma chicken salad (canned chicken with toasted pecans, dried cranberries, celery, and mayo), tuna salad (tuna, capers, lemon juice, mayo, and a dash of agave nectar), broccoli salad (broccoli, dried cranberries, red onions, toasted cashews, slaw dressing), carrot medallion salad (sliced carrots, green peppers, red onions, and french dressing), corn relish (fresh cooked corn OFF the cob, cilantro, green peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, and vinegar), fatoosh (finely chipped cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, green peppers, red onions, olive oil, and lemon juice), pimento cheese (grated cheddar cheese, dried chives, mayonnaise, poppy seeds), and and carrot and raisin salad are some of our favorites.

Super Contributor
Now I am hungry for salad!!!!!
Super Contributor
These all sound so good!!!!!
Super Contributor

Writer with Flair,

I like your idea of a supper that is all summer salads!

You mention a list of several salads that you make and they sound delicious!

Could you please take the time to post the recipes for those salads? I know there are many and it would be a job but you would really be helping those of us who are stuck in a rut making the same old salads week after week.

I do make a couple which are different than yours and I would be happy to share those in return. It would be real special if everyone would jump in with their faves.....

I will check back for your recipe. TIA sue-p

Honored Contributor

I make pea salad with frozen peas; diced onions, bacon, and shredded cheese. I use mayo, sugar, and vinegar for the dressing. Since I am allergic to egg whites, I never use chopped, boiled eggs in this salad, but everyone else I know who makes this salad, adds eggs to it. I think this is a very simple, tasty salad, but since the base is a starchy vegetable, it is not a healthy salad, period.

Super Contributor
On 7/16/2014 Writer with Flair said:

... fatoosh (finely chipped cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, green peppers, red onions, olive oil, and lemon juice), ...

Never heard of fatoosh before! I looked it up on Wiki and found that it is "Levantine cuisine."

What? Again, ignorance, so I looked up that one: "Levantine cuisine is the traditional cuisine of the Levant, known in Arabic as the Bilad ash-Sham."

I love to learn new things, especially food-related. I wonder if I could use a gluten-free bread for this type of salad. - Bird

Super Contributor
My Momused to do a pea salad with celery, red onion, cashews and bacon??miracle ship type dressing...