Valued Contributor

SUGGESTIONS FOR BAKING COOKIES FOR WEDDING

Does anyone have any suggestions for baking and freezing cookies for a wedding? Which cookies are best to bake and freeze? How long can you freeze them? Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR BAKING COOKIES FOR WEDDING

I have never had luck with baking and freezing cookies, so I will be watching this thread for ideas. A co-worker of mine freezes her dough and bakes fresh with good results.

Respected Contributor

I would think Mexican Wedding Cakes would be appropriate.

I wouldn't freeze them, they are so easy to make and store in a sealer container for at least 3 wks.

Wonderful butter cookie with powdered sugar.

Honored Contributor

Pizzelles - you don't need to freeze them they stay fresh in a air tight container for ages.

I have not heard of anyone making cookies for a wedding in ages and ages - how refreshing that someone is doing this again. I always enjoyed sampling the cookies table at someones wedding. My Mom, grandma and aunts baked their fingers off for my wedding and most everyone went home with a plate of cookies.

Honored Contributor

I like the freezing of the cookie dough and then baking fresh. There are basic cookie dough recipes that you make up in bulk and then add different things to each batch for a different flavor of cookie. I love the wedding cookies with the powdered sugar, we called them Russian Teacakes, but they make a mess when you handle or eat them. Powder sugar everywhere, plus they get gummy if left out. Try Pinterest for some recipes. I think cookies are such a nice touch for a wedding.

Honored Contributor

I make and freeze cookies all the time and never had an issue: chocolate chip, oatmeal, sugar cookies EVEN ones with colored icing decoration. I put them in plastic boxes with secure lids and stick them in the freezer.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all who responded. I'll let you know how it works out.

Valued Contributor

The Wedding Cookie Table is a staple in the Pittsburgh, SW PA area. I have baked cookies for 2 daughter's weddings and numerous relatives and friend's children's weddings. All have been baked and frozen. We've done chocolate chips, snowballs, buckeyes, peanut butter balls, strawberries, nut horns, peaches, pizzelles, cannolis, brownies, thumbprints, pecan tassies, and on and on. I think the only type we haven't frozen is a caramel tassy. Those are done the day before we deliver all to the reception site. I have used saran, wax paper, parchment and aluminum foil to wrap and protect, then store in Tupperware or any good air-tight container. Be sure to fill up the air space with wax paper and cover the top well. Normally we start baking about 3+ months prior to the wedding and start freezing immediately. We have never had any issues with freezer burn or lack of flavor. I hope this will help you. Good luck!

P.S. My secret technique for summer baking is to crank the air and blast my favorite oldies music!! So great to dance in the kitchen while preparing for such happy events.

Valued Contributor

On 7/18/2014 StlrFan said:

The Wedding Cookie Table is a staple in the Pittsburgh, SW PA area. I have baked cookies for 2 daughter's weddings and numerous relatives and friend's children's weddings. All have been baked and frozen. We've done chocolate chips, snowballs, buckeyes, peanut butter balls, strawberries, nut horns, peaches, pizzelles, cannolis, brownies, thumbprints, pecan tassies, and on and on. I think the only type we haven't frozen is a caramel tassy. Those are done the day before we deliver all to the reception site. I have used saran, wax paper, parchment and aluminum foil to wrap and protect, then store in Tupperware or any good air-tight container. Be sure to fill up the air space with wax paper and cover the top well. Normally we start baking about 3+ months prior to the wedding and start freezing immediately. We have never had any issues with freezer burn or lack of flavor. I hope this will help you. Good luck!

P.S. My secret technique for summer baking is to crank the air and blast my favorite oldies music!! So great to dance in the kitchen while preparing for such happy events.

Thanks! Their wedding is in Pittsburgh!

Respected Contributor

Never heard of a wedding cookie table but it sounds AWESOME! I definitely am gonna Google this idea. It might be a fun thing to do here in NC.