Respected Contributor

Three - Hour Refrigerator Pickles

Here is a great recipe for sweet pickles. You do not have to do the jar routine of sterilizing and canning. Not even any cooking is required. After making them we just place them in canning jars. They stay for 3 months in the refrigerator and are very yummy pickles.

Three - Hour Refrigerator Pickles

6 Pounds of cucumbers

4 medium onions

4 cups sugar

4 cups of white vinegar

½ cup salt

1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric

Slice the cucumbers ¼ inch thick. Slice onions 1/8 inch thick. Place both in a large nonmetal bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture. Stir well for 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts

Respected Contributor

Re: Three - Hour Refrigerator Pickles

Thanks for sharing. This seems like a great, easy recipe.

Honored Contributor

This great. I am going to give it a try.

Thanks

Super Contributor

I do something similar but not sweet. They're a delicious crispy tart pickle. Must give credit to the Duggar family. It's from their website.

Quick Pickles Recipe:

4 cups white vinegar

2 cups water

8 teaspoons salt

8 teaspoons pickling spice (optional) - I use a handful of mixed peppercorns

4 large cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch slices

Combine white vinegar, water, salt and pickling spice in a small saucepan. Heat to a boil.

Place cucumber in a clean, dry glass container just large enough to hold all the slices. Pour boiling brine over cucumber slices to cover completely. If all cucumbers are not submerged, add cold water to cover. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour. Pickles will keep for about 10 days (but around our house we can usually eat them in less than 10 minutes!).

Makes: 2 quarts

Respected Contributor

Hi Marsha....... it is definitely an easy recipe with no cooking and they are really good! I hope that you get a chance to try them.

Hi DiAnne...... it is such an easy recipe to make and there is no cooking involved. They are delicious also. I hope that you get a chance to try them.

Hi BlueCollarBabe.......we like non sweet pickles here to so have copied your recipe and will one day be giving it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

My dad just gave me at least 5 lb of cucumbers from his garden. Will try this easy recipe in a.m. Thanks, luvsbulldogs!

Respected Contributor

Hi Irmuffin..... enjoy your pickles and please let us know how you liked them.

Super Contributor

This the recipe I use. lrmuffin, how did yours turn out?

14 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
2 cups sliced onions (I used two medium onions)
2 cups sliced green or red peppers (I used one of each)
2 Tablespoons Kosher salt (do not use any other kind of salt)

6 cups white sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons celery seed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers and kosher salt together; pack into a gallon jar.
2. Add 2 Tablespoons celery seed
3. Heat sugar and apple cider vinegar until sugar is dissolved; pour over packed pickles.
4. Refrigerate for 3 days and Enjoy!

I used 10 cups of cucumbers with 4 cups of sugar and 2 cups of vinegar.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a tip for anyone who doesn't want to go to the trouble (as simple as these recipes are) of making pickles:

I saw this in a magazine...if you have store-bought pickles in your fridge that you like and you're out of the pickles but still have a half jar of juice, don't throw it away. Whenever you have an extra cucumber or two, slice them up, and onions if you like, put them in the pickle juice and back in the fridge. In a day, you will have great pickles! I love bread & butter pickles, and I've been using the same pickle juice for several weeks, just adding more cukes. The pickle juice still tastes just like it did when I bought it. I actually like these pickles better because they're crunchier and haven't absorbed as much of the juice. They're milder than the originals but I really like them--I've never just gone to the fridge once in a while and gotten out a pickle just to snack on, but I do with these. Saving me money and time!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

Hi chips and luvsbulldogs and all. I tried luvs' recipe and loved it. I even reused the pickle juice several times. I love pickles and will do this all season. Chips, I will try your recipe next- love the idea of pickled peppers. KittymomNC, I buy Amish horseradish pickles-my favorite- when I get the chance. This will keep me with a much longer supply. Thank you all.