Honored Contributor

FRIED CORN CAKES WITH GREEN ONIONS

This is good with bacon for breakfast (my kids put a little maple syrup on them) or is a different way to use corn as a side dish.

1 cup flour
1 T sugar
1-1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/8 t cayenne pepper
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 t white distilled vinegar
2 cups corn
1/2 cup chopped green onion

Oil for cooking.

Preheat oven to 300.

Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne in large bowl. Add milk, egg and vinegar to bowl and whisk to combine. Mix in corn and green onion.

Heat about 2 T of oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by scant 1/4 cups into skillet. Cook until brown and cooked through (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer to baking sheet and put in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter adding more oil as needed.

Makes about 10.

Respected Contributor

Re: FRIED CORN CAKES WITH GREEN ONIONS

that looks great. thank you!

Regular Contributor

It's funny that you have posted this today! DH and I wee watching Sandra Lee on the Food channel today and she was making these and dipped the batter out with an ice cream scoop. They did flatten a little in the pan. It brought back wonderful memories of my childhood. My Nana or Mom would make these except they were a little flatter, and maple syrup was on the table for them. We absolutely adored them. I don't remember any cayenne, vinegar, or green onions. Now that I think of it, it would be a good budgt stretcher for a meal. I'm going to have to make these. "Thanks for the Memory"........

Respected Contributor

I wanted to make something different last night, so I made these as a side dish to salmon (which my family loves and always raves about). These were decidedly the star of the show-they totally eclipsed the salmon! They have earned a place in my recipe box.Smiley Happy

Poodlepet

Esteemed Contributor

These do sound great for breakfast with syrup, and for a variation, I might add some crumbled bacon-or have the bacon on the side. I love corn, so I would also try them as a side for dinner or for lunch. For dinner, I might even put a little cheese on top and let it melt. Yum!

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Poodlepet said:

I wanted to make something different last night, so I made these as a side dish to salmon (which my family loves and always raves about). These were decidedly the star of the show-they totally eclipsed the salmon! They have earned a place in my recipe box.Smiley Happy

Poodlepet

Thanks for taking the time to let me know. It is always nice to get feed back and I am glad they were a hit for you!

Contributor

Is the corn cooked or raw? Thanks

Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 sixteencharacter said:

Is the corn cooked or raw? Thanks

I use fresh corn cut off cob if available. You could use frozen defrosted corn also. It is not cooked.