Valued Contributor

Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes

/></div> </div> <p><span><span style=Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes
(recipe source: wholefoodsmarket.com)

I made this the other day to serve with some grilled chicken. Next time, I'll serve it over polenta. It's simple and delicious. Plus, as of late I can not get enough kale...lol

2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 clove of garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (optional)

3 ripe but firm tomatoes, chopped

2 bunches kale or collard greens (about 1 pound total), ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until collapsed and juicy, about 10 minutes more.

Add kale, 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, salt and pepper, toss once or twice, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve.

**Nutritional Information: 110 calories, 3.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 5g protein

Contributor

Re: Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes

I make something similar with kale or spinach or even swiss chard. yummy

Valued Contributor

Hiya Littlemac! Great idea. Any green would be delicious in this recipe.

LoLa

Honored Contributor

Lola, I am TRYING to like kale, I really am! I can take it in soup very easily but as a side....I'm trying! LOL This recipe may help since I like all the other flavors. The nutritional value is fantastic!!!

My small Wegman's only sells it in a GIANT pkg and it always looks like landscaping scraps from the yard! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I need to find another store that carries it. I never see collard greens or I would try those.

Valued Contributor

Hi Respect....

Come to the kale dark side...{#emotions_dlg.devil2} LoL

Honestly, you could easily substitute spinach or swiss chard (as littlemac suggested) in this recipe. You may have to adjust your cooking times though because kale usually takes longer to cook.

LoLa

Honored Contributor

LOL...I'm trying! I'm trying! I need to find a bigger produce section I think OR move to the warmer South where I can git me some good greens! Sometimes in pics the kale doesn't even look anything like what I just bought!

I have never tried swiss chard either! Sigh...sometimes eating healthy is hard HEE HEE!

Respected Contributor

This would be amazing with polenta. My favorite restaurant serves a kale and polenta dish that's silmilar.

You could add sausage with it. Or use it with pasta. I'd even try it with rice or potatoes.

I love dishes like this. Thanks for posting!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

RL... I believe in you!!! I loved your comment that it looks like landscape material..LoL

Marienkaefer... I agree!! It would be fantastic. You're so welcome!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, LoLa!! This looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Hi Karena! You're very welcome!