Valued Contributor

/></span><br/> <br/> <br/> <span style=Savory Italian Tart
(recipe source: tasteandtell.com & wilton)

I was in a 'pizza mood' last night but didn't feel like ordering in or making the traditional crust. So, I was poking around and came across this gorgeous tart. I had the puff pastry already so I thought let's give it a shot. We all really liked it. It was so tasty and that flaky 'crust' was perfect. I played around with the ingredients a little bit. I used a combo of sweet and hot sausage and used the cheese that I had on hand. I think you'll love that this recipe can easily adapt to your personal taste. Enjoy!

1 package (8 oz.) refrigerated puff pastry dough
2 sweet Italian sausage links (1 lb.), discard the casings (I used one hot and one sweet)
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice (I used Fontina and an Italian blend)
3 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 425F.

Roll puff pastry on floured surface into a circle approximately 13 inches wide. Press dough into tart pan. Place a piece of foil over dough and fill with dried beans or pie beads. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.

Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over moderately high heat, stirring and breaking up pieces, until the sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Drain well. Transfer sausage to large bowl, add tomatoes, garlic, basil, pepper, salt and cheese. In separate bowl, whisk eggs, cream and milk together. Combine both mixtures; mix well. Pour into baked shell and bake an additional 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Bake an additional 10-12 minutes or until egg mixture is set and golden. Remove from oven; cool 5-10 minutes before cutting.

Super Contributor

Sounds yummy! Using both hot and sweet sausage sounds like a great mix to me, but my family will want all spicy. Thanks for sharing!

Valued Contributor

Hi sciencegeek! You're very welcome. It really is. If it were up to me I would have made it super spicy too! If you try it, I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,

LoLa

Super Contributor

Hi, LoLa,

Every time I spot a recipe here that looks especially good, it always seems to have been posted by you. You're like a trusted cookbook for me!

This one looks like pizza meets quiche meets tapas. What a good idea. And since you're starting with puff pastry, you could make the crust thin, and you could also make it in large muffin size. They'd be good cold.

Thanks for being so inspiring!

Regular Contributor

LoLa this looks absolutely delicious!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Hi, Kay!

Thanks so much. You are too kind. I'm very happy that you've been pleased with the recipes. I've really enjoyed eating them as well as sharing them. I've played with this crust and made one thicker and one thinner and they were both great. I love the idea of doing it in a muffin pan. Brilliant! Thanks again for your sweet words.

Hi, Tiamaria!

Thanks. I hope you'll love it. Enjoy!

Happy Easter,

LoLa

Super Contributor
I agree with everyone; thank you for all the delicious recipes, Lola, and Happy Easter!
Valued Contributor

Hi Beebee2! Nice to 'see' you! Hope you're well. You're very welcome indeed. Thank you and Happy Easter to you too!

Super Contributor
Thanks, Lola. I agree with the other responses and appreciate you and your recipes. Happy Easter!
Super Contributor
Looks delicious and I am definitely going to make one!!!