Trusted Contributor

I just watched an episode of the Pioneer Woman where she made ham gravy from the drippings of the pan. I've never heard of making a gravy for ham! Anyone else make this? It was pretty simple, she just added some butter and flour. And when that was a paste consistency and cooked for a bit, she added milk and seasonings. Looked good!

Super Contributor
Im an ole woman from nc mountains and I make gravy fromevery meat,bacon,hotdogs,porkchops chicken,ham,sausage,just any meat.Most of time I make milk gravy,sometimes water gravy.my husband like water gravy over rice or mashed potatos,I like milk gravy but both is good.
Frequent Contributor

Ham gravy is soooo good, but I have only made it after frying slices of ham. I've heard of ham gravy called red eye and a cup of strong coffee is an ingredient. It is sometimes served over rice.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can make gravy from most anything. I have even made gravy from "Spray Pam".

I'm like olewoman, I'm 62, an old woman from Missouri. In the old days, people had gravy three times a day{#emotions_dlg.scared} and always kept a pot of brown beans cooking.

Trusted Contributor

Red Eye Gravy is an old Southern staple. I'm sure there are as many variations as there are cooks, but the basics involve frying a slice of country-cured ham in a little oil in a skillet till browned on both sides. I usually add a little water, cover, and simmer to steam the ham the last few minutes. Then remove the ham and use a spatula to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. While reheating the oil and ham fat, stir in a couple of spoonsful of brown sugar till dissolved, then add a half-cup or so of black coffee. (This is traditional; if you don't care for coffee, you can just add more water.) Simmer till hot and flavors are blended. Taste, and if it's too salty add more water and/or coffee. Return ham to pan and heat through. Serve ham with hot grits, rice, or mashed potatoes, with red eye gravy over all.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we make it with coffee. I don't add any flour. I just let the gravy simmer till it thickens a bit.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all! Your gravies sound delicious. I've only made turkey gravy, so I need to branch out and try some others. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
To sister golden hair,still good to ain't it.
Respected Contributor

Red eye gravy is one of my favorite {#emotions_dlg.wub}things. It's so good on grits,eggs,biscuits.... even with pancakes and syrup.Of course it's good,though;it's made from country ham grease and coffee.

Trusted Contributor

Instead of Red Eye gravy, made always with coffee, and no flour, you can make the ham gravy just as you would sausage gravy, without the sausage in it, but out of the ham drippings, and adding the flour and milk (or for really good taste, add Pet Milk, or Carnation Milk) to make it a little more rich (add a bit of water), since there is no meat........only drippings........in the gravy..........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......