Valued Contributor

Crust′less Mushroom & Spinach Quiche

Mushroom and Spinach Quiche. Gluten-free, dairy-free and low carb, this crustless quiche is unbelievably delicious.

Crust'less Mushroom & Spinach Quiche
(recipe source: janssushibar.com)

I had never made a quiche before yesterday and I found myself asking why I hadn't sooner. They always seemed kinda troublesome and/or lacking in flavor to me. Boy, was I wrong. I invited a couple of girlfriends over for brunch yesterday and I made this lovely quiche. I served it with a green salad and a bottle (or two) of Pinot Grigio. It was so tasty and light. The recipe states that it serves 4-5... but the three of us devoured it all!

6 ounces thick-cut bacon, diced
1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces fresh spinach, washed, hard stems removed
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup coconut milk (not the sweetened one)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher sea salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cook the bacon in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet, and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium-low and toss in the diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the reserved bacon. Increase the heat to medium high and add half of the mushrooms to the skillet, taking care not to crowd them. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Transfer to the same plate with the onion and bacon and repeat with the remaining mushrooms. Reduce the heat to low and add the spinach to the skillet; cook just until the greens are wilted.

Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg until well-blended.Spread the spinach in the bottom of a 10? deep-dish pie plate. Scatter the bacon, onions and mushrooms evenly over the surface of the spinach, then pour in the egg mixture. Place the pie plate in a baking dish large enough to hold it; carefully pour very hot water around the quiche, until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the quiche is set and beginning to turn golden brown on top. Remove from the water bath and cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Serves: 4 to 6

Honored Contributor

Re: Crust′less Mushroom & Spinach Quiche

I make quiche often for brunches but have never made a crustless one. I make a quiche with smoked salmon and another that has salami and kalamata olives. I will be giving this one a try! The coconut milk is interesting and also the fact it has no cheese.

Respected Contributor

If it does not have crust or cheese, then it's not a quiche.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Frequent Contributor

DH and I love quiche, and I don't make it often enough. I'm bookmarking this and will make it with a crust, without the onion (maybe with fresh chives instead), and with some nice shredded Swiss cheese (love Kerrygold brand). I always have fresh spinach, baby bella mushrooms, and canned coconut milk on hand. Thanks, LoLa!

Trusted Contributor

Sounds good, never cooked with coconut milk

I just want to verify, ingredients say 1 cup of milk, yet instructions doesn't list the milk

I just want to make sure 1 cup of milk is added (along with the 1/2 cup coconut milk)

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Hi Dianne and Sparkle! I know it's odd but, no cheese...lol Please feel free to add what you'd like though because I'm sure it'll be delicious.

Hi Irish Rosebud! Please let me know how it turns out for you. I love Kerrygold too!

Hi AnnMarie! Oops. I was a little nervous about all the coconut milk, so I substituted the original amount of coconut milk with some regular milk. So the total is 1/2 cup coconut and 1 cup dairy milk. I added them in at the same time. Hope this helps. Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Have a great day,

LoLa

Honored Contributor

Now I am confused (it doesn't take much!!). Is the original amount of coconut milk 1/2 cup in the recipe or more?

Valued Contributor

On 4/15/2014 DiAnne said:

Now I am confused (it doesn't take much!!). Is the original amount of coconut milk 1/2 cup in the recipe or more?

I'm truly sorry, DiAnne. It's definitely my fault. The total amount of coconut milk in the original recipe is:

1-1/2 cups. So, what I did was use 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of dairy milk.

Again, I apologize for any confusion. Hope this helps.

LoLa

Honored Contributor

Thanks LoLa. I am a big fan of coconut milk in cooking so I think I will use the whole amount.

Esteemed Contributor

Lola, you truly come up with the best recipes. Yet another I want to try! LOL

But like DiAnne, I am confused about the coconut milk. Did you use the thick kind that comes in a can or the kind that comes packaged just like dairy milk?

Thank you so much for your reply. And, LoLa, as always, thank you for kindly sharing all the wonderful recipes.