Valued Contributor

What is the strangest thing you have ever cooked and eaten??

I was just thinking about this, I love to take chicken liver's and chicken hearts, and flour and salt and pepper them and fry them, I actually don't do that very often, maybe once a year.

Britt

Super Contributor

Re: What is the strangest thing you have ever cooked and eaten??

Britt, that is not something I would cook, but I know I would LOVE that dish. I like liver! In my 20's there was a Chinese restaurant that made teriyaki chicken with chicken livers....I loved it!
Respected Contributor

Cooked and eaten? Probably pheasant...and I didn't do a very good job. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Eaten in restaurant? Different story, I love trying new things.

Denise
Valued Contributor

LOL gaz, we didn't have a lot of money when i was growing up so Mom cooked a lot of weird things!! I dont like beef liver, but I love chicken livers. Teriyaki chicken with chicken livers sounds good. .I know i'm weird!! LOL

den I think iv had pheasant, it was good!!

Brittany

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2014 Britbrit13 said:

LOL gaz, we didn't have a lot of money when i was growing up so Mom cooked a lot of weird things!! I dont like beef liver, but I love chicken livers. Teriyaki chicken with chicken livers sounds good. .I know i'm weird!! LOL

den I think iv had pheasant, it was good!!

Brittany

Well, du-uh...of course it was good, *I* didn't cook it! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I also grew up with weird things but they were yucky! Pig's feet, headcheese, hutspot.

We had a nearby restaurant that did "wild game" nights once a month. Oh My Gosh. Pheasant, duck, venison, wild boar, moose. Most excellent.

Denise
Honored Contributor

this is going way back when my kids were really little (they are in later 30's and early 40's now).

Green eggs and ham. They were really into Dr.Suess and wanted to try green eggs and ham for breakfast. Daddy made them green eggs and ham and both of them loved it.

Honored Contributor

Goose, live lobsters, beef tongue, wild turkey and all sorts of game, and one time I butchered and wrapped a whole quarter of beef. I have also made puff pastry. I've made Ox Tail stew too.

Valued Contributor

Right now we have a bunch of bison in our freezer our son-in law gave us. There is no way I will let the meat of this magnificent animal go to waste, but I try to doctor it up as much as possible. I am not much on wild meat, and I guess the flavor is about like beef, but I just have to add ingredients to it and not eat as plain meat. I also have to say "coral mushrooms". I think that is their name. They are found in the fall and look red, but taste wonderful. I was hoping the whole time we were eating them that our hosts knew what they were doing about picking them and that they were not poisonous. Can't wait for the morels to be ready to pick.

Respected Contributor

Probably a salmon mousse for a party I gave...I don't care for salmon, and I remember picking out weird stuff out of the canned salmon. (It was a huge hit with my guests though.)

I can't stand liver of any kind, but did buy some chicken livers today as a treat for the kitties - it's been a while since they've had some. One day I was shopping with a friend and picked up a container of them, and she asked if I enjoyed them. Without thinking I replied, "I can't stand them...but they're a special treat for the kids - they love them." Another shopper had been eavesdropping on our conversation and gave me the strangest look, like, "what kind of nut gives her kids chicken livers?" (obviously not realizing my "kids" are the furry kind), so I just had to play along...I said to my friend, "Yeah, the kids all fight over them - I just toss them on the floor and they all run to grab one before one of the others can get it." Nosy shopper looked horrified! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

BTW, I do have a friend who will eat anything. When I mentioned that my pool was overrun with tadpoles one spring, she got all excited and said, "Have you ever had fried tadpoles? They're wonderful!" {#emotions_dlg.crying}