Valued Contributor

I know its early for this, but I finally got this and I thought id share!!(Candy Cane Cookie)

I have been trying to get this recipe from a friend for a long time, This is her Grandmother's recipe and it belonged to her mother!! and its a very special recipe!!

We just keep missing each other, but she sent it today and there delicious!! I know its early for cookie season but if i don't get it on here now , I'm going to forget!! The family makes these every year and I just love them..There so good, enjoy!!

Enjoy, Brittany

• Always happy to share a special recipe-- this Candy Cane Cookie recipe is one my family makes EVERY Christmas

1 C. Shortening 1 C. Sifted powdered sugar 1 Egg 1 1/2 t. Almond extract 1 t. Vanilla extract 2 1/2 C. Flour 1/2 t. Salt 1/2 t. Red food coloring 1/2 C. Crushed peppermint candy (optional) 1/2 C. Granulated sugar

• Mix shortening, powdered sugar, egg, and flavoring thoroughly. Mix flour and salt; stir into shortening mixture. Divided dough in half. Blend food coloring into one half. Roll a 4" strip of dough from each color. Roll back and forth on lightly floured surface. Place strips side by side and lightly press together and twist like rope. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Curve top down to form handle. Bake at 375 degrees. If desired, sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture while warm. Makes 24 cookies.

Super Contributor

Re: I know its early for this, but I finally got this and I thought id share!!(Candy Cane Cookie)

Brit, our family has used the same recipe for years, and enjoy it so much. One year the girls in the family decided to do half candy cane cookies, and half minty wreaths. So only 1/4th of the dough was tinted red, and another 1/4th was tinted green, with the green fourth flavored with peppermint extract.

Half of the white 'ropes' were used with the green ropes, twisted together and easily formed into small wreaths. It was a cute idea and worked well.

It's fun to see this posted again.

Valued Contributor

Re: I know its early for this, but I finally got this and I thought id share!!(Candy Cane Cookie)

BeeBee, I'm glad you liked it, its a old one but it sure taste good...I bet that was fun to do for the girls, I love Christmas time..and all the wonderful smell's and taste!! Iv noticed a lot of the older recipes our Grandma's made were so good. I always look for those...Thanks for the chat ") Britt