Valued Contributor

Id love a easy bread pudding recipe please, Thank you

Id love a easy bread pudding with a vanilla sauce anyone have a good old fashioned one to share please,

Thank you, Brittany

Super Contributor

Re: Id love a easy bread pudding recipe please, Thank you

Easiest one I know

3 eggs

2c milk

1/2 lb brown sugar

6 slices bread, torn or cubed ( i like raisin bread)

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp cinnamon or spices of choice

2 T butter

Beat eggs, milk, spice and vanilla, - tear or cube bread, put into 1 qt casserole pour milk mixture over- dot with butter bake 40- 45 min at 350

Honored Contributor

Not quite vanilla sauce, but this is delicious and fairly easy I thought. I used frozen peaches which were all clean and easy!

Peaches and Cream Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Yield:
8 to 10 servings

Level:
Intermediate

Ingredients

For the pudding:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 4 tablespoons melted
6 cups 1-inch cubes of day-old bread
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
2 pounds peaches, peeled and seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For the sauce:
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup amaretto

Directions

For the Bread Pudding: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 10 by 14-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.

In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, heavy cream and milk and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the bread is soaking, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of softened butter in a large skillet and, when butter begins to bubble, add the peaches and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until peaches are golden brown around the edges and softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg and whisk well to combine. Stir the egg mixture into the bread mixture and fold to combine. Add the warm peaches and fold gently but thoroughly to combine. Pour into the prepared dish. Drizzle with the melted butter and bake until golden brown, puffed, and slightly firm when pressed in the center, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack until just warm, about 20 minutes.

For the Amaretto Sauce: In a small, heavy enameled or other non-reactive saucepan over medium low heat, add the butter and cook until melted. In a small bowl combine the cream, sugar, and egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add the cream mixture to the melted butter and stir well. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately and add the amaretto. Transfer sauce to a small heatproof bowl and serve hot or warm over warm bread pudding.

Honored Contributor

I know you said vanilla sauce but this is SO good and very easy! Thought I would share. I made it in one dish, not individual. Sorry, can't remember where I got this recipe from. Last time I made it, I used Jim Beam Honey Bourbon!

Chocolate Bread Pudding
Serves 4

Ingredients listed in the order used.

Whiskey Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce Jim Beam Bourbon
1 egg
2.5 ounces butter

Bread Pudding
1 loaf french bread- not stale
3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
pinch salt
2 eggs (beat in one by one)
4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cocoa
10-15 each
chocolate chips
Vanilla Ice Cream

Whiskey Sauce Directions
Bring water to a boil. Add sugar and stir constantly until completely dissolved. Add vanilla and bourbon and bring back to a boil.

Beat eggs in a stainless bowl, put half of the syrup into the eggs and stir continuously. Pour eggs back into syrup.

Cut butter into small pieces and stir until fully melted into sauce. Cool down in ice bath and store

Bread Pudding Directions
Cut French bread into 1 x 1 inch squares. Pour melted butter over bread. Combine heavy cream, sugar, salt, rum, and eggs, whisking together in mixing bowl.

Melt butter, sugar and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Stir until smooth, like hot chocolate, never leaving it unattended. Temper in half of the cold mixture to hot mixture and stir until smooth.

Combine liquid mixture with bread and mix thoroughly. Let it sit a while to penetrate. Be sure not to use stale bread or the pudding will be too dry.

Spray oven resistant serving bowls with non-stick aerosol spray and portion evenly into dishes or muffin pans, heaping way over the top. Sprinkle 10-15 chocolate chips on top and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Remove from oven, turn pudding mixture over onto serving bowl or plate, drizzle with Whisky Sauce and top with a scoop of ice cream.

This is sinfully GOOD!

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone, Stillt, so the 1/2 pound of brown sugar is 1 1/4 cups? These all look good, im trying to make a simple one for my next door neighbor who just got out of the hospital!!

She loves bread pudding..Thank all so much!!

Britt

Super Contributor

Yeah, I always have to look at the box, LOL!- The whole pound is about 2 1/2 cups...(depends on how well you "pack" it, right?)

Valued Contributor

I just LOVE this bread pudding!

Croissant Bread Pudding -*I made changes to her recipe and halved it - adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved
Serves: 8 to 10 servings
Ingredients

6 large whole eggs

2 1/2 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 croissants, preferably stale (I used *Costco's)
1 cup raisins (I omitted)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Set the custard mixture aside. Slice the croissants in half horizontally.

(*I used an oval baking dish that fit the croissants perfectly)In the bottom of baking dish, distribute the bottoms of the sliced croissants, then add the raisins, then the tops of the croissants (brown side up), being sure the raisins are between the layers of croissants or they will burn while baking. Pour the custard over the croissants and allow to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently. (I cut croissants into pieces, but I did make sure top crusts were on top, and I didn't use raisins.)

Place the pan in a larger one filled with 1-inch of hot water. Cover the larger pan with aluminum foil, tenting the foil so it doesn't touch the pudding. Cut a few holes in the foil to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 to 45 more minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set.

(After removing foil, 40 minutes worked in my oven-did knife clean test.)

Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*To avoid spilling water, I set the pans on the oven rack, and then added the hot water to the larger pan.

Trusted Contributor

DiamondGirlyDiamondGirly,

Is the recipe you posted above for the halved portion or the original as Ian Garten provided? I think I would like to try to make this. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

My Mother made this bread pudding years and years ago. think she got the recipe in GoodHouse Keeping. I have most of her recipes but this one is lost. It was made with raisin bread, eggs, cream and coffee. Really don't need it because DH would never eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brit,

This recipe came to me from a good friend in Tulsa, OK. She had had the recipe for ages, so no telling how old it is. Enjoy!

Mary Jo’s Bread Pudding

2 cups cane sugar

6 eggs, room temp

2 tsp vanilla

9-12 slices white buttermilk bread (day old preferable)

2 sticks melted butter

4 heaping Tbs flour

4-1/2 cups regular milk, room temp

In a really large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the melted butter and flour and whisk vigorously. Add the milk, a cup at a time, and stir to combine.

Add the whole slices of bread one at a time to the bowl, pressing them down lightly so that they soak up as much liquid as possible. Let the bowl and its contents rest and soak for 30 minutes.

Pour the entire contents of the bowl into a greased 9 x 13 pan: it doesn’t have to look pretty.

Bake at 350 degrees until set on top, at least 60 minutes. Remove the pan and sprinkle the top of the pudding with cinnamon sugar. Return to oven for 5 minutes.

If you wish, the pudding may be topped with a vanilla sauce:

Mix in a small saucepan:

½ cup cane sugar

1 Tbs cornstarch

Add, stirring constantly: 1 cup boiling water. Boil 5 minutes – remove from heat.

Stir in:

2 Tbs butter

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp nutmeg

Few grains of salt

Makes about 1 cup.

Pudding tastes best when served warm with warm sauce. A heaping serving makes a tasty lunch, if you have nothing else on hand.