Super Contributor

The best fish batter recipe I've come across - and good for onion rings, too!

Long John Silver's Fish Batter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup water

1. Sift dry ingredients.
  2. Add water and mix well.
  3. Use to coat fish or chicken filets.
  4. Cover the fish completely.
  5. Deep fry until a nice golden brown.
    I tried this with tilapia filets today - it was excellent, and it stuck to the fish and didn't fall off when I plated it!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The best fish batter recipe I've come across - and good for onion rings, too!

I'm getting hungry! just found a mashed potato recipe, now a deep-battered fish recipe! Whe ordering fish and chips in a restaurant, I always sub mashed for fried potatoes. Now if someone will post an easy veggie and dessert, I'll be all set! Thanx.

Super Contributor

Re: The best fish batter recipe I've come across - and good for onion rings, too!

On 4/6/2014 Goldenlocks said:

I'm getting hungry! just found a mashed potato recipe, now a deep-battered fish recipe! Whe ordering fish and chips in a restaurant, I always sub mashed for fried potatoes. Now if someone will post an easy veggie and dessert, I'll be all set! Thanx.

I posted a two ingredient lemon bar recipe - I wish I could make it today but I don't have the pie filling.

We had broccoli with cheese sauce as a side, with crumbled Ritz crackers on top. We don't eat like this every day, but we had visitors… good excuse!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2014 house cat said:

I posted a two ingredient lemon bar recipe - I wish I could make it today but I don't have the pie filling.

We had broccoli with cheese sauce as a side, with crumbled Ritz crackers on top. We don't eat like this every day, but we had visitors… good excuse!

house-cat, you won't believe it but I was scanning cookbooks for something different in a broccoli recipe - my brother LOVES broccoli! Can I have that recipe? And how do I find your lemon bar recipe (I'm not too computer literate)?

Super Contributor

house-cat, you won't believe it but I was scanning cookbooks for something different in a broccoli recipe - my brother LOVES broccoli! Can I have that recipe? And how do I find your lemon bar recipe (I'm not too computer literate)?

The two ingredient lemon cake recipe is on this forum.

What I did today, because I didn't have the pie filling, was make a batch of lemon bars using lemon cake mix. I creamed a stick of butter with one egg and two tbs. of water, then added in the mix. I stretched it out on a small jelly roll pan and baked for 30 minutes. My husband is itching to try them, but they are still too hot.

As for the broccoli, I blanched it yesterday, cut it to florets and mixed in the cheese sauce. I sprinkled it with crumbled Ritz crackers and baked it today for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I made the cheese sauce with butter, flour, cheddar cheese and milk… no special fussing.

Respected Contributor

I'm gong to try this batter tomorrow night. Thanks a bunch!

Esteemed Contributor

What I did today, because I didn't have the pie filling, was make a batch of lemon bars using lemon cake mix. I creamed a stick of butter with one egg and two tbs. of water, then added in the mix. I stretched it out on a small jelly roll pan and baked for 30 minutes. My husband is itching to try them, but they are still too hot.

As for the broccoli, I blanched it yesterday, cut it to florets and mixed in the cheese sauce. I sprinkled it with crumbled Ritz crackers and baked it today for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I made the cheese sauce with butter, flour, cheddar cheese and milk… no special fussing.

Thanks, house-cat, I'm gonna do them both when Mike comes over! (Of course, might do a practice run 1st! sounds too good to hold off for a month!!!!!)

Super Contributor

Thanks, house-cat, I'm gonna do them both when Mike comes over! (Of course, might do a practice run 1st! sounds too good to hold off for a month!!!!!)

Yes, it's always good to try things ahead of time. Coincidentally, my brother is coming for a visit this week and I'm looking forward to spoiling him.

I can assure you that the potatoes were excellent and the fish batter, too. You'll have to let me know if you like the cake, as I haven't made it yet.

Valued Contributor

I was going through the recipes tonight and came across your batter for fish OR ONION RINGS. We finally had a day where we could work in the yard today and planned on brats on the grill. Saw this batter recipe and said OH Boy! Onions rings tonight. So easy to whip up. No funny ingredients. Just enough for a medium size onion and two people. Cannot wait to try this with fish also. The onion rings were great. (did catch my pot holder on fire putting the cooked rings on a pan in the oven and got too close to the heating element.) That yard work did a number on me. Not used to it after the winter we had. Thanks for the great recipe.

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2014 nomar said:

I was going through the recipes tonight and came across your batter for fish OR ONION RINGS. We finally had a day where we could work in the yard today and planned on brats on the grill. Saw this batter recipe and said OH Boy! Onions rings tonight. So easy to whip up. No funny ingredients. Just enough for a medium size onion and two people. Cannot wait to try this with fish also. The onion rings were great. (did catch my pot holder on fire putting the cooked rings on a pan in the oven and got too close to the heating element.) That yard work did a number on me. Not used to it after the winter we had. Thanks for the great recipe.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We had the leftover fish tonight and it was just as good as yesterday, maybe even better! I'm looking forward to trying it with onion rings. I was so impressed with the way the batter sticks to the fish.. that has always been a problem for me.