Esteemed Contributor

Kulich: Russian Easter Bread

Kulich

(Russian/Eastern Orthodox Easter Bread)

A family recipe from my Russian grandfather, this was a must on the wonderful Easter buffet table prepared by my grandmother. I loved this bread and looked forward to it each year, as it reminded me of panatone that we would get in North Beach. Perhaps someone of Eastern European descent will enjoy making Kulich this year. Makes 2 loaves.

2-1 lb or 1-2 lb metal coffee cans w/o lid

2 ¼ to 2-3/4 cups unsifted flour

¼ cup cane sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp grated lemon zest

1 pkg active dry yeast

½ cup milk

¼ cup water

2 Tbs butter or margarine

1 egg (room temp)

¼ cup chopped blanched almonds

¼ cup seedless raisins

Powdered sugar frosting

Multi-colored sprinkles (nonpareils)

In a small mixing bowl, thorough mix ¾ cup flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel and undissolved active dry yeast.

Combine milk, water and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130 degrees), then gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and ½ cup flour or enough flour to make a thick batter. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes (or use dough hook of your mixer). Place in greased bowl, turning greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk: about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead in blanched almonds and raisins. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball; press each ball into a greased 1 pound coffee can. Or, you can make one large ball and press it into a greased 2 pound coffee can. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes for 1 pound cans or 50-60 minutes for 2 pound can. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes, then remove to rack. When at room temp, frost tops with sifted powdered sugar icing (sifted powdered sugar with enough water or milk to make it soft enough to run down the side of the bread). Place a Tbs of the icing at the very top of the bread, then another Tbs. The top should be covered with icing and the icing should dribble about half way down the sides in an irregular pattern. Traditionally, the bottom half of the bread is decorated with piped flowers and a large “XB,” which means “Christ is Risen.” ~Enjoy~

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kulich: Russian Easter Bread

I love this toasted. My daughter i law makes this. So good.

Trusted Contributor

We are Eastern Orthodox and make this every Easter. We serve it with paska. Your recipe is a very good one. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Do you have to make this in a coffee can?? I don't drink coffee so i don't have any? Thank you so much , this looks so yummy!! You don't happen to have a kolache recipe do you? Id love to make some with some different fillings.. Britt

Regular Contributor

Britt, peaches and cream just posted this recipe in the kitchen and food forum this week. Might not paste well (IPad), but I just copied it. Here it is. Kolaches are traditional in towns in Texas that were settled by Czech immigrants. West, Texas is the best-known. Now the Kolache craze has made it to larger cities in Texas and kolache shops aren't hard to find. Mrs. Nemecek’s Kolaches (West, Texas) Recipe from article in Dallas Morning News 2 envelopes dry yeast 1/4 cup very warm water 1 Tablespoon sugar 2 cups milk 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter 1/2 cup sugar 2 teaspoons salt 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten 6-1/4 cups sifted flour (sift after measuring) In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar and let stand. Scald milk in saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Cool to lukewarm. Add salt and egg yolks. Combine milk mixture and yeast in a large bowl. Bit by bit, stir in the flour. Knead dough on floured board 5 minutes. Put in an oiled glass bowl, cover with dish towel and let rise in oven, with a pan of hot water under bowl, for 1 hour. Punch down. Using a tablespoon, take egg-size bits of dough and roll into balls on floured board. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush each with melted butter. Cover and let rise 1 hour. Make a deep indentation in each with your thumb, put in 1 generous teaspoonful of filling and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 10-12 minutes, at 375 degrees (preheated oven). Remove from cookie sheet and brush each lightly with melted butter. (Omit this step if freezing.) Makes 46, approximately. Fillings: Apple pie filling (chop up any large pieces) or cherry pie filling. Strawberry, peach or apricot preserves are also good. Topping: 1-1/2 cups sugar 3/4 cup flour 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3 Tablespoons melted butter. Note: I have always used canned pie filling, or jarred fruit preserves. But there are recipes for fillings; I think you could find them on the Internet.
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Britbrit13 said:

Do you have to make this in a coffee can?? I don't drink coffee so i don't have any? Thank you so much , this looks so yummy!!You don't happen to have a kolache recipe do you? Id love to make some with some different fillings.. Britt

Hi Brit,

I've never made it in anything but coffee cans. However, after thinking about it, believe that if you have 2 deep dish pie plates, these would work. To guage the baking time, keep an eye on the "dome" of the bread, looking for a nice medium brown and tap the top with your finger, listening for a more hollow sound versus a thud.

Honored Contributor

My maternal grandparents were from Ukraine. This bread was always part of their Easter celebration.

Valued Contributor

This sounds wonderful!

Valued Contributor

sfnative, TY so much, Ill do that, this sounds so good..I'm going to try and make it on Easter!! Thanks cece, looks good, thanks for the recipe Smiley Happy

Britt

Super Contributor

I wonder if I can make this in my breadmaker. Hmmmmmm I just might try it.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~