Esteemed Contributor

Fruit is on It's Way. Make a Custard Fruit Pie!

This is a very old recipe that I'm sure has it's origins in the 18th or 19th century. My mother's side of the family has been making this pie ever since I could remember. I loved my Aunt Margaret's red current rendition of this pie, because there were no red currents in SF. It was always such a treat and simple to make.

Custard Fruit Pie

Using 1-9” unbaked pie shell, mix together and place in the bottom of the shell ¼ cup flour and ¼ cup can sugar, which has been mixed together.

Beat together:

2 large eggs

½ cup whole milk

¾ cup cane sugar

½ tsp salt

½ tsp cinnamon

Place washed and dried fresh fruit in pie shell until level. Pour egg mixture over fruit to nearly cover fruit. Bake at 350 about 30 min or until custard is set when giggled.

Many fruits can be used such as rhubarb, blueberries, red currents, elderberries, raspberries, etc. Very tart fruit may need more sugar.

1975, Aunt Margaret

Contributor

Re: Fruit is on It's Way. Make a Custard Fruit Pie!

Looks good! My MIL used to make a wonderful rhubarb custard pie.

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds really good - can you tell me approximately how much fruit you usually use for one pie? Of course, I guess it depends on whether it's a regular, deep dish, etc. I guess I answered my own question, if you buy too much, just eat what's left over! I definitely will try this!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

I love the recipe, so simple and versatile- (especially love the "when GIGGLED" part) LOL!

I too love rhubarb custard pie!

Valued Contributor

I had a pie like this a few weeks ago this lady in California make one that had raspberry in it,,i wondered how she made it..it was really good, The berries were like they had been sweetened , So the flour and sugar mixture was what sweetened the berries?? Very nice!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} This lady was Spanish, her pies were awesome.. How much fruit do you think would go in it 1/2 cup , it didn't have alot of fruit in it..I guess it would depend on the sweetness.

Thank you for this recipe, Its weird cause this pie was on my mind last night and iv looked for something like it..and here it is.., THANK YOU SO MUCH, Here in Oregon we get some awesome fruit, Id love to make it!!! I'm excited!!!!!!! Thank you, Brittany

Honored Contributor

Did somebody say pie?

Valued Contributor

And its a Custard fruit pie!! YEAH!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/2/2014 kittymomNC said:

This sounds really good - can you tell me approximately how much fruit you usually use for one pie? Of course, I guess it depends on whether it's a regular, deep dish, etc. I guess I answered my own question, if you buy too much, just eat what's left over! I definitely will try this!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Hi kittymom,

My Aunt Margaret usually made this pie with berries and used an regular old fashioned pie tin, which means it wasn't deep dish. When she used red currants, the pie was quite thin, as she was rather stingy on the currants, saying that it was a pain to pick them, so we got what we got. :-)

Generally speaking, this pie does not fill to the top by any means. However, I wouldn't hesitate to double the custard mixture, increase the bake time and wrap the edges with foil.

I love custard peach and custard blackberries best.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/2/2014 Britbrit13 said:

I had a pie like this a few weeks ago this lady in California make one that had raspberry in it,,i wondered how she made it..it was really good, The berries were like they had been sweetened , So the flour and sugar mixture was what sweetened the berries?? Very nice!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} This lady was Spanish, her pies were awesome.. How much fruit do you think would go in it 1/2 cup , it didn't have alot of fruit in it..I guess it would depend on the sweetness.

Thank you for this recipe, Its weird cause this pie was on my mind last night and iv looked for something like it..and here it is.., THANK YOU SO MUCH, Here in Oregon we get some awesome fruit, Id love to make it!!! I'm excited!!!!!!! Thank you, Brittany

Hi britbrit,

I live in Portland (SE), too, so quite a coincidence. We just moved here last July, as I had just retired and DD and SIL had a baby in September. I'm really excited to try Marionberry everything this year, which includes making my own jam. Just love to make pies, so will take advantage of all the local good stuff.

We have blackberries in our backyard, as well as an apple tree and plum tree. I've never had fruit trees before, so this is a treat. I sure hope we don't have a HOT summer like last year. We have no A/C, so I told DH this year we're purchasing a portable unit.

Respected Contributor

BlackBerry custard pie....just the thought of it makes me happy!!!