Super Contributor

Easter Bread with colored egg

I am looking for a good Easter braided bread with the colored egg nestled inside. Do you have a recipe to share...thx beanie

Regular Contributor

Re: Easter Bread with colored egg

Sorry I don't have the recipe, but if you go to the Taste of Home website and look up Easter bread they will show a recipe that has dyed Easter eggs placed in the twists of the bread.

Super Contributor

I saw where they took the pack of Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks, twisted each around a colored egg (individual "nests" as it were) baked them, then glazed them with powdered sugar mixed with a little lemon juice and sprinkled pastel sprinkles on them...

Easy!

Respected Contributor

I remember seeing them in all the bakeries when I was a little girl. Smile Here ya go:

Easter Egg Bread

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter, cubed
4 eggs
3 to 6 hard-cooked eggs, unpeeled
Assorted food coloring
Canola oil
2 tablespoons water

Directions

In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, cardamom, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, color hard-cooked eggs with food coloring following package directions; let stand until completely dry. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 24-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; place on braid, tucking eggs between ropes and spacing evenly.

Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.

In a bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; gently brush over dough, avoiding eggs. Bake 28-32 or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf

Super Contributor

Oh, yeah,that is the way I remember them too! Beautiful!

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

I remember seeing them in all the bakeries when I was a little girl. Smile Here ya go:

Easter Egg Bread

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter, cubed
4 eggs
3 to 6 hard-cooked eggs, unpeeled
Assorted food coloring
Canola oil
2 tablespoons water

Directions

In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, cardamom, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, color hard-cooked eggs with food coloring following package directions; let stand until completely dry. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 24-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; place on braid, tucking eggs between ropes and spacing evenly.

Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.

In a bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; gently brush over dough, avoiding eggs. Bake 28-32 or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf

THANKS! Smiley Happy