Trusted Contributor

What is YOUR favorite........considered Southern.........recipe

All walks of the US are welcome in on this one, and please try to post a recipe, if you cook it yourself........AS I am in the mood for new and different recipes...........{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

NO CHASTISING OR SNARKY HERE PLEASE.........BE CONSIDERATE PLEASE......Kiss

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is YOUR favorite........considered Southern.........recipe

I'll admit this is an acquired taste, but when I lived in the South I fell for frozen fruit salad. Never had it until I lived in that region.

Total Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients:

1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese

4 T. milk

6 T. sugar

1 medium can crushed pineapple

2 small cans fruit cocktail

1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries

1 pt. whipping cream, whipped

dash salt

1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:

Drain fruits, mix softened cream cheese, milk and sugar. Add drained fruits and nuts. Fold in whip cream and freeze until solid.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

I love corn bread cooked in an iron skillet, crust, not the cakey kind, no sugar, no bacon fat. Would love to have a tried and true recipe. No point in listing mine. It never comes out right.

Honored Contributor

NOT being a smart aleck, but just wondering what is considered a "northern" recipe?

Super Contributor

I think I'd have to choose fried chicken. I'm not a southerner, but I love southern food. I don't know that I have a favorite recipe for it, but marinating it in buttermilk sure helps. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} and I crisp it up in oil then pop it into the oven to finish cooking.

Frequent Contributor

Northern recipe"" New England boiled dinner

Respected Contributor

hmmm.... yankee = baked beans, maybe. my favorite Southern recipe is my granny's milk cake with whipped cream and strawberries. i'd give the recipe if i could find it, but i got organized and we all know what that means - lol

Respected Contributor

Sweet Potato Pie

2 (9in.) regular frozen pie crusts

2 ½ cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes

1 stick of unsalted butter, softened

1 ¾ cups sugar

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs

7 oz evaporated milk

Beat the sweet potatoes and butter until mixed, add sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and mix again. Add the eggs one at a time, then add milk slowly. Mix until smooth. Pour into 2-9 inch pie crusts. Bake at 400* for 10 mintues, then reduce the temperature to 350* for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Respected Contributor

Spoonbread

8 oz. sour cream

2eggs

1 can of cream corn (14 ¾ oz)

1 stick margarine

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix

Heat oven to 350* Melt margarine in a 9x13 pan.

In a bowl mix the sour cream, eggs, and cream corn. Then add the Jiffy mix. Pour batter over the melted margarine. Bake for approx. 55 min.

If you want a firmer spoonbread, use 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Bread mix.

Honored Contributor

On 3/31/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Sweet Potato Pie

1 ¾ cups sugar

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

7 oz evaporated milk

Beat the sweet potatoes and butter until mixed, add sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and mix again. Add the eggs one at a time, then add milk slowly. Mix until smooth. Pour into 2-9 inch pie crusts. Bake at 400* for 10 mintues, then reduce the temperature to 350* for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

If you copy something off the web or out of Word, you can paste it into MS NotePad and it will remove the funky formatting that makes it hard to read. Then just copy and paste it from Notepad into the forums. Here's what this looks like when I do that. Notepad in Windows is usually located in All Programs --> Accessories --> Notepad.

Sweet Potato Pie

1 ¾ cups sugar

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

7 oz evaporated milk