Esteemed Contributor

Which vegetables do you combine or

serve together (not combined) to fill half your plate with veggies? Broccoli and sliced tomatoes, cauliflower and ?? What is your favorites? I've run out of ideas! Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Which vegetables do you combine or

I usually mix a lot of vegies together as I love them all. Usually, cauliflower and broccoli, peas, carrots and corn, lima beans and corn. In the summer I make a huge dish of roasted cauliflower, broccoli, zuchini (sp?), onions, garlic, tomatoes (roast in the oven with some organic olive oil) and then toss with my pasta, fresh ground pepper and fresh grated cheese - YUM!

Trusted Contributor

I like zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower (and if I have them, red peppers) mixed together. We bought a set of Rachel Ray's pans and one of them is a steamer. That has been the best purchase, as we've started steaming our veges, if we're not grilling them. They're yummo with just a little butter, salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

I like greens of almost any kind! Sauteed, steamed, boiled. . . LOVE greens especially collards. Roasted asparagus, carrots, cauliflower (ROASTED it is great), red bell peppers and onions are great too and you have serve them hot, cold or at room temperature.

Salads with lots of cut up bell peppers, shredded carrots, cucumbers and whatever else you like are great! Top with a little tuna, cheese or leftover meat, make your own easy vinegar and oil dressing and it's a meal.

I like lightly boiled zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes all together--maybe add some onion too.

Stir frys are great--learn that skill and you'll have a lot of wonderful meals! Add soy, sherry and ginger mixed up with some water and cornstarch for the sauce!

Sauteed cabbage with a little soy on it is great too! Shred, stir fry a little while, then add a tiny bit of water and steam for a few minutes if you like.

Trusted Contributor

Oh my gosh, I love veggies and we frequently eat vegetarian meals. What I make depends on the season. In the fall & winter, I love to roast root vegetables such as beets, parsnips, carrots,garlic, sweet potatoes, etc. There is a great Martha Stewart recipe for roasted vegetables served over greens that is a meal in itself. Here's the link to it:

http://www.marthastewart.com/318987/roasted-vegetable-salad

In the summer, I made a lot of cold salads with things like sliced tomatoes and roasted beets with vinaigrette or cucumbers and onions with a creamy dill sauce.

I love peas mixed with boiled new potatoes and a little bit of butter. I also often cook boiled new potatoes with green beans (in the same pot). Any leftovers goes into a Nicoise salad the next day.

I like garlic and shallots mixed with a lot of veggies, such as zucchini or green beans, to add a little flavor. I sauté them in a little bit of olive oil and use Italian seasoning on them as well, and a little squeeze of lemon if I have it on hand. Another nice addition to the mixed is some sundried tomatoes.

If you like brussel sprouts, they are very good pan-seared with cranberries, pecans and a little bit of blue cheese. Brussel sprouts are also good sautéed with bacon and garlic. Not exactly a combination of different veggies, but the add-ins can really jazz up the flavor of some old standbys.

I often make a ratatouille with eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, garbanzo beans, black olives, onions, & garlic in a tomato sauce. I usually serve it over couscous, but pasta works just as well. Or just serve it on the side. You can also make curry, stir-fry dishes, casseroles, pasta, etc. that are loaded with vegetables. Once you get going, it's pretty easy to eat enough vegetables and still get lots of variety and tasty dishes.

And, of course, we eat lots of salads. The possibilities there are endless, and there are a lot of salads that are hearty enough to eat as a main meal.

Respected Contributor

We like roasted broccoli, caulflower, carrots, and chunks of butternut squash. Healthful and delicious.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Carrots & squash!

Honored Contributor

Broccoli and cauliflower. I buy packages of this mix frozen, but fresh is better.

Respected Contributor

This all sounds so good!! Loveour4-leggedfriends--let me know when you are cooking this because I'll be right over!

Trusted Contributor

I love to make roasted/grilled eggplant, squash, brussel sprouts, Roma tomatoes, potatoes, and steam cabbage with carrots that have been shredded, or sometimes just have pickled beets and pickled okra..........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......