Esteemed Contributor

I need a new Mac & Cheese recipe, please -- all you good cooks out there???

I'm looking for a tried and true "different" mac & cheese recipe for oven baking. I've tried a few from cookbooks etc. but they don't turn out as gooey and creamy as I would like. Also, if anyone has a recipe using different kinds of cheese, that would be great. I'm going to try David Venable's Three Cheese Mac & Cheese with Country Smoked Bacon - if anyone has tried that one, I'd love your opinion! Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Contributor

Re: I need a new Mac & Cheese recipe, please -- all you good cooks out there???

Hi Kittymom. Try the FN, and search Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa. She has quite a few Mac & Cheese recipes, Lobster Mac & Cheese and one called Grown Up Mac & Cheese, which has Cheddar, Roquefort and Gruyere. She also has one with sliced tomatoes on the top. There's also a 5 Cheese Penne one which is awesome!

I've never made the lobster but I have made the Grown Up and my DH and I loved it, the kids, not so much as the cheese has a stronger flavor.

The one I make for the kids has Velveeta, if you're interested, I can give you that one. And if you're on Pinterest, there are just tons of different ones, even one you make right on the stovetop in one pot!

Trusted Contributor

hattrick's rec is really good. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any from Ina. I was going to recommend Pinterest, as well. It is my main source for recipes now. I actually made one in my Crock Pot from Six Sisters for our Super Bowl party and it was a real hit.

Gloria

Trusted Contributor

This is a picture of this recipe in an individual serving size casserole dish. When I cut this recipe in half, I used three individual casseroles.

This is a delicious creamy mac & cheese. It is a low carb recipe and made with cauliflower, but I am sure you could just substitute the real macaroni (very well drained) in place of the steamed cauliflower. This is a George Stella recipe, and I put my notes in there too.

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy George Stella

6 servings

(I cut this recipe in half. I know we used less than ½ of a large head of cauliflower. When making the entire recipe, I don’t think I would use an entire large head of cauliflower, because I would want to make sure there is enough cheese sauce!)

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon

1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets (I used less)

Vegetable oil spray (I just used a little olive oil)

1 cup heavy cream (I used half & half because I had that on hand. Heavy Cream would be delicious, I am sure.)

2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces (I used regular, not low fat)

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I used a little dry mustard)

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole (I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar, freshly grated) (4 oz cheese = 1 cup grated)

(Do not use pre-shredded cheese)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I left this out)

Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish (I used individual casserole dishes)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray. (I just oiled the dish)

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. (Instead of boiling in water, I steamed the cauliflower)

Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth.

Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.

Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve. YUM!!!

Super Contributor

I always add a little bit of Bleu Cheese to my mac and cheese - I just love the bite it adds...

Honored Contributor

I like Dadgum That's Good Smoked Mac n' Cheese. It's made in the smoker but you can also make it in the oven it just won't have that bit of smoked flavor in it. It's really good. It's posted on one of the links below. There are several other recipes posted on Q at these links.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/303610/macaroni-and-cheese.aspx

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/341999/do-you-have-a-favorite-mac-cheese-recipe.aspx

Contributor

I always use my 'tried and true' recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been making it for over 50 years and it's what my family thinks of when they think of mac and cheese. It's nothing fancy or extravagant but oh so good.

Here's the recipe:

hot boiled macaroni (2 cups uncooked)
2 cups hot milk
1/4 cup butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use half American and half mild cheddar) - You can use more cheese if you like it moister and cheesier.
2 cups soft, fresh bread crumbs
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tblsp. each: minced parsley, minced onion, and chopped pimento (I never put pimento in mine)
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients. Pour into a well greased 3 qt. baking dish (I use a 9 x 13 glass baking dish). Set dish in pan of water about 1" deep. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until set. Makes 8 servings.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2014 Nightowlz said:

I like Dadgum That's Good Smoked Mac n' Cheese. It's made in the smoker but you can also make it in the oven it just won't have that bit of smoked flavor in it. It's really good. It's posted on one of the links below. There are several other recipes posted on Q at these links.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/303610/macaroni-and-cheese.aspx

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/341999/do-you-have-a-favorite-mac-cheese-recipe.aspx

I'm right with Nightowlz....Second vote for the Dadgum Smoked Mac n cheese. To die for from the smoker, equally delicious right from the stove! I usually have eaten my share before it even hits the smoker. I always use Smoked Gouda cheese in this recipe...gives the smokey flavor even before the smoker gets it.

So creamy! To be honest, I don't like oven baking my mac & cheese...or putting eggs in the recipe. Seems to dry it out and make it too tight for my preference. I love the gooey, cheesey taste of the above recipe no matter where the final cooking is.

Honored Contributor

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/glorious-baked-cheese-cauliflower.html

the cheese sauce for this is very good. when I make mac and cheese or cauli now because its just as good, I also use up any leftover cheese ends to boost the flavor.

Do check pinterest, there are tons of mac and cheese ideas there.

If you decide to do the cauliflower roasted it first, tastes even better.

Honored Contributor