Honored Contributor

Gluten free fodmop bread or quick bread recipe

Hi my sons GF has IBS and I would love a great tasting recipe for a breakfast bread or snack bread.She is so unhappy about her limited food choices and I would love to surprise her with something good.It has to be low on sugar too...egads tough to do but I am sure someone has some great ideas.thanks for any suggestions
Respected Contributor

Re: Gluten free fodmop bread or quick bread recipe

dex, either fodmop is an internet abbreviation I am not familiar with or a typing error (been there done that! Smiley Happy )

I have found a lot of info through my public library via kindle books & hard copies on cooking for tricky diets. Also an internet search of gluten free takes some time but is useful.

I found a decent recipe for white bread (calling for 3 T sugar) on food.com I used brown rice flour instead and used the bread machine on basic. You can search for others there and most have reviews of people that tried it.

Good luck!

Contributor

The term is FODMAP.
Honored Contributor

Oops sorry fodmap...that's how much I know about this diet...never heard of it before this
Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2014 dex said: Oops sorry fodmap...that's how much I know about this diet...never heard of it before this

Me either. I googled it and found it stands for "fermentable oliga di mono saccharides and polyols" Wow! That will take a lot of homework. Her dr.,the internet ,library,and the knowlege she has will probaly be your biggest help. Wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2014 dex said: Oops sorry fodmap...that's how much I know about this diet...never heard of it before this

Me either. I googled it and found it stands for "fermentable oliga di mono saccharides and polyols" Wow! That will take a lot of homework. Her dr.,the internet ,library,and the knowlege she has will probaly be your biggest help. Wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter was very sick and the doctor put her on the FODMAP diet. You can find it at www.fodmap.com. It limits different foods for a while and later you can add foods slowly to see what is causing the problems. Good diet for IBS also.
Honored Contributor

I see that not many people know of the diet...still hoping someone with experience will have a great recipe to share.It is a bit of a tough one.Thanks for the web address and I will visit.
Esteemed Contributor

Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread

From, The Healthy Gluten-Free Life, by Tammy Credicott. The following is an excerpt by the author which precedes the recipe: “…there are a lot of flours in this recipe, but please do not give-up on it before you try it! When you take the gluten and eggs out of bread, which is pretty much the entire make-up of the bread, you must add things back in to provide taste, texture and moisture. This combination has turned out, without fail, beautiful loaf after loaf of bread for my family. The pea flour is added because of its high protein content. If you do not want to buy another flour, replace it with almond meal. And potato flour (not starch!) is added because it gives any loaf of gluten-free bread that texture we love so much. Give it a try, I will bet that you’ll love it as much as we do!”

Yeast Mixture

1 cup warm water

¼ cup organic honey

1 Tbs dry active yeast

Dry Ingredients

1 cup sorghum flour

¼ cup amaranth flour

¼ cup coconut flour

¾ cup teff flour

2 Tbs potato flour

2 tsp pea flour or almond meal

1-1/4 cup potato starch

1-1/2 cup tapioca starch

1-1/2 Tbs xanthan gum

Wet Ingredients

¼ cup flax meal mixed with ¾ cup hot water

½ cup unsweetened organic applesauce

2/3 cup coconut oil, melted

2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp molasses (optional)

¼-3/4 cup warm water (add a little at a time until dough is right consistency)

1. Whisk together dry ingredients, set aside.

2. Preheat oven to its lowest setting, or on warm, about 150-170 degrees.

3. Heat water for the yeast mixture in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or until temp is around 100-110 degrees. Add honey and yeast, mix gently. Set aside in a warm place, like on top of the stove or in microwave, to proof & become frothy, for 5 min.

4. Grease 1 loaf pan and 1 mini loaf pan.

5. Using a stand mixer with paddle, mix dry ingredients, yeast mixture & wet ingredients, reserving some of the warm water. Blend o high for 2 min. Dough should be consistency of wet bread dough. It will not be like regular bread dough that is dry and can be handled. If it’s too thick, add a little more water and blend. Be careful thought, a thick batter will rise well. If the batter is runny, it will collapse after baking.

6. Pour batter ¾ up sides of large loaf pan. Fill mini pan with remaining dough. Smooth with a wet spoon.

7. Place loaf pans in oven to rise about 30-45 min or until dough is higher than the sides of pans.

8. Raise oven temp to 425. Bake for 15 min.

9. Lower temp to 350 and bake an additional 15 min for the mini load and an additional 40-45 min for the regular load. Tops will be brown and sound hollow when tapped. If they become too dark during baking, cover with foil.

10. Cool loaves for 10 min, then turn out of pans to cool on a rack.

Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Note on the Gluten-Free bread:

I highly recommend The Healthy Gluten-Free Life as a wonderful resource and comprehensive cookbook for those interested in cooking gluten-free. I was foisted into this lifestyle out of the blue when I came up with antigens to gluten, soy and eggs.

The recipe calls for raw honey and raw vinegar. I am not a proponent of especially raw honey, as it may contain bacteria. I've chosen to eat nothing raw, except organic vegetables and fruit.

I purchased all of my ingredients from Amazon. The initial purchase was a bit pricey; however, I'm now baking on a regular basis and loving the cost savings AND the bread.