Just-Reduced Clearance
104 Members and 13900 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Philly Cheese Steak Soup (in bread bowls)

Started 1390494913.397 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1391117252.153 by philogirl

Philly Cheesesteak Stew

Philly Cheese Steak Soup (in bread bowls)
recipe source: thecozyapron.com

This soup/stew is really delicious. Great Philly cheese steak flavor in a tasty-edible bowl. I doubled the recipe. My kids loved it so much that they've requested it once a week..lol I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but I'm happy that they enjoyed it. It'll make a second appearance next month, for sure. This might even be a winner for our Superbowl party. Food for thought. *smile*

Serves: 4

1 1/2 pounds very thinly sliced beef sirloin or rib-eye
Salt and Cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided use
Olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced.
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
4 cups (reduced sodium) beef stock, hot
4 sourdough bread bowls, centers hollowed out and reserved for dipping
4 slices provolone cheese

Add the thinly sliced beef sirloin to a large bowl, and season with a couple of pinches of salt and cracked black pepper, plus the onion powder, and toss to coat; sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of the flour, and again, toss to coat. Place a non-stick pot over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 3-4 tablespoons of oil; once hot, add about half of the sirloin in, and allow it to sear for about a minute or two, then toss/stir, and allow it to sear/brown on the other sides for another 1-2 minutes, and remove onto a plate to hold (the meat may still be a little pink inside); repeat with the remaining half of the sirloin, and set aside. -Next, add a little more oil to the pot if needed, and add in the sliced onions, green peppers,along with a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper; allow everything to caramelize for roughly 6 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning them, until golden-brown and softened; then, add in the mushrooms, and allow them to continue sauteing with the onions and peppers for another 6 minutes or so, stirring frequently. Add in the dried thyme and the garlic, and stir to incorporate. Once the garlic becomes aromatic, sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour (the tablespoons can be a bit “heaping”) over the green pepper, onion/mushroom mixture, and stir well to combine and blend; next, slowly add in the hot beef stock, stirring all the while to avoid any little flour “lumps” from forming.

Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the stew to simmer gently for about 10 minutes, uncovered, just to “tighten” it up a bit, and to allow the flavors to marry; after 10 minutes, turn off the heat, and add the seared sirloin back in, along with any accumulated juices, and stir to combine; check to see if you need any additional salt/pepper. To serve, ladle some stew into your hollowed out sourdough bowls, top with a slice of provolone, and place the bread bowls onto a foil-lined baking sheet and under the broiler for just a couple of moments to melt the cheese and make it gooey.

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to you heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.

Page 1 of 1
diamondsfo­rme1390495979.67383 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
Holy smokes this looks and sounds amazing. Will be adding to my list of new recipes to try. Thanks for sharing!

JeanLouise­Finch1390496039.818952 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

This looks and sounds fabulous! I'm going to give it a try next week. Thanks for sharing.

LoLa1390496143.661455 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007Michigan USA

Hi diamondsforme and JeanLouiseFinch {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You're both very welcome! It's really great. Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Stay warm,

LoLa

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to you heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.

luvpoos1390501448.0935200 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

I am going to surprise my husband with this. He will be in heaven. Thanks for sharing.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

rondell1390503795.2613373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

Oh wow! This looks fantastic. {#emotions_dlg.tt1} I know my DH would love this one. Thank you for the recipe, LoLa!

sunshine451390504342.81338167 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

hi lola, thank you.....i found this online so that i could pin it to my pinterest. i will definitely be leaving the mushrooms out, but everything else sounds good!

the recipe actually says STEW......do you think it is more of a soup or more of a thicker stew?

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

RespectLife1390506052.503982 PostsRegistered 2/27/2012

All I can say is OH WOW!! and THANK YOU! Who wouldn't want to devour this?

I may skip the bread bowl for myself to save some calories...but will be pinching off hunks on my DH bowl I am sure! LOL Can't wait to try this...it is so bitterly cold w/ no end in sight...I deserve this dish!!

LoLa, you are appreciated here!! YUMMY!

LoLa1390665246.7931455 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007Michigan USA

Hi luvs! You're welcome! I hope it's a great surprise for your hubby! Stay warm and let me know!

Hi rondell! You're welcome! I hope that your DH really enjoys it! Let me know!

Hi sunshine! You're welcome! In my opinion, It's smack dab in between, kinda a 'stewp' ..lol Either way, it's delicious!

Hi Respect! You are very welcome! Yes, it's really good. Oh, and I won't tell anyone if you sneak a few crumbs of bread*smile*.

Happy Saturday Friends,

LoLa

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to you heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.

RespectLife1390840540.643982 PostsRegistered 2/27/2012

Help! I couldn't find bread bowls anywhere...well, to be honest, It was totally blizzarding this past Sat. and I only went to a smaller Wegmans. But I couldn't find bread bowls!

Any suggestions? Do you ladies make them yourselves? Is there such a thing in the frozen dept?

I promised DH this soup in a bread bowl but couldn't find the bread bowls. Wegman's makes a delicious Tuscan Garlic round bread...but the loaf is way too large!

Any suggestions? This soup is haunting me I want to try it so bad! TIA

sunshine451390840695.27738167 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 1/27/2014 RespectLife said:

Help! I couldn't find bread bowls anywhere...well, to be honest, It was totally blizzarding this past Sat. and I only went to a smaller Wegmans. But I couldn't find bread bowls!

Any suggestions? Do you ladies make them yourselves? Is there such a thing in the frozen dept?

I promised DH this soup in a bread bowl but couldn't find the bread bowls. Wegman's makes a delicious Tuscan Garlic round bread...but the loaf is way too large!

Any suggestions? This soup is haunting me I want to try it so bad! TIA

do you have a PANERA nearby? they sell smaller breads in the bakery. you just have to cut off the top and hollow them out. we also have a chain called THE FRESH MARKET and they sell these breads.

Last edited on 1/27/2014

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

sunshine451390840747.23338167 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

LOLA, thanks for letting me know it is more of a "stewp". Wink looking forward to trying it.

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

RespectLife1390845990.507982 PostsRegistered 2/27/2012
On 1/27/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 1/27/2014 RespectLife said:

Help! I couldn't find bread bowls anywhere...well, to be honest, It was totally blizzarding this past Sat. and I only went to a smaller Wegmans. But I couldn't find bread bowls!

Any suggestions? Do you ladies make them yourselves? Is there such a thing in the frozen dept?

I promised DH this soup in a bread bowl but couldn't find the bread bowls. Wegman's makes a delicious Tuscan Garlic round bread...but the loaf is way too large!

Any suggestions? This soup is haunting me I want to try it so bad! TIA

do you have a PANERA nearby? they sell smaller breads in the bakery. you just have to cut off the top and hollow them out. we also have a chain called THE FRESH MARKET and they sell these breads.

Oh THANK YOU sunshine! I do have Panera near my work...and they have a drive thru window! LOL I would have NEVER thought of Panera! Don't have Fresh Market. Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks again!!! This is Friday nights din now!!

ToastyToes1390873145.75736 PostsRegistered 11/15/2013
Wow, this looks delicious and perfect for this weather. I'm going to make this this week. Thank you for sharing.

JeanLouise­Finch1390910607.198952 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 1/27/2014 RespectLife said:
On 1/27/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 1/27/2014 RespectLife said:

Help! I couldn't find bread bowls anywhere...well, to be honest, It was totally blizzarding this past Sat. and I only went to a smaller Wegmans. But I couldn't find bread bowls!

Any suggestions? Do you ladies make them yourselves? Is there such a thing in the frozen dept?

I promised DH this soup in a bread bowl but couldn't find the bread bowls. Wegman's makes a delicious Tuscan Garlic round bread...but the loaf is way too large!

Any suggestions? This soup is haunting me I want to try it so bad! TIA

do you have a PANERA nearby? they sell smaller breads in the bakery. you just have to cut off the top and hollow them out. we also have a chain called THE FRESH MARKET and they sell these breads.

Oh THANK YOU sunshine! I do have Panera near my work...and they have a drive thru window! LOL I would have NEVER thought of Panera! Don't have Fresh Market. Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks again!!! This is Friday nights din now!!

I couldn't find sourdough bread bowls either. I have vitrified pottery bowls that are the right size so I just decided to use them and I picked up a round loaf of sliced sourdough bread to serve with the bowl of soup.

LoLa1390917938.6371455 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007Michigan USA

Hi Girls! I'm sorry about the confusion with the bread bowls. A few of our local bakeries carry them, along with Sam's Club and Panera! I should have mentioned this. I even have used those stockier pretzel rolls. However, if you don't have a bread bowl, do what JeanLF did and buy a larger bread (of your choosing) and serve this French Onion Soup style. Trust me, any way that you work it out, it'll be worth it...lol This 'stewp' is the best!

Keep Warm Everyone,

LoLa

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to you heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.

RespectLife1390921447.85982 PostsRegistered 2/27/2012

Hi Lola, don't be sorry...I am easily confused! LOL{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I am making this tonight I hope! It is negative gazillion degrees out today. All schools closed, midterm exams cancelled....not much moving! I NEED this soup!

I hope to quickly scoop up a couple missing ingredients during lunch...and then head to Panera! I'll let you know how it comes out!!

JeanLouise­Finch1390921559.0978952 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Meat is thawing and this is going to be dinner tonight! It's supposed to be -17°F here today, with a windchill factor of close to -40°F so a nice bowl of soup fits the bill.

JeanLouise­Finch1391009527.128952 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Made this for dinner last night - a double batch. I found that the broth was a little flat - needed more salt, seasoning, something. However, everything in the broth was delish! My son said he wasn't fond of the broth either, but would take everything out of there and make a sandwich with it. I actually have some mini hoagie rolls in the house so I wouldn't be surprised if I see him eating that for lunch today.

philogirl1391047380.2831251 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010
Looks so good. Another Lola recipe I must make.

RespectLife1391103174.777982 PostsRegistered 2/27/2012

This was just what the Doc ordered on yet another bitter night here! It was delish! Two thumbs up from the DH. I didn't find the broth flat at all...I did keep tasting to see how the seasonings levels were as it said to do.

My only problem was that Panera let me down! I called and they said OH yes, we have bread bowls everyday. I went yesty at lunch...no...didn't have any that day.

So...Plan B...Wegman's makes a round Garlic Tuscan Bread. DH picked up two...in his eyes they were very small. He has goofy eyes cuz that was a large round loaf to me! LOL Only his went in the bread bowl...I picked on his bowl...when he didn't slap me away! It was so good w/ that garlicky crusted bread...he didn't want to share and ate the WHOLE thing himself...minus two...yes only 2 pieces I managed to peel off! He gobbled the entire bowl. I had mine in a crock w/ the cheese melted over the top (like Fr. Onion soup). Just as good.

I know there was debate as to soup/stew....mine was definitely soup.

Thanks Lola ...this was the highlight of a boring, frigid day. Loved it!

mimi911391105925.097108 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008Massachusetts
This looks and sounds delish! Can't wait to try it. Thanks a lot.

philogirl1391117252.1531251 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010
On 1/30/2014 RespectLife said:

This was just what the Doc ordered on yet another bitter night here! It was delish! Two thumbs up from the DH. I didn't find the broth flat at all...I did keep tasting to see how the seasonings levels were as it said to do.

My only problem was that Panera let me down! I called and they said OH yes, we have bread bowls everyday. I went yesty at lunch...no...didn't have any that day.

So...Plan B...Wegman's makes a round Garlic Tuscan Bread. DH picked up two...in his eyes they were very small. He has goofy eyes cuz that was a large round loaf to me! LOL Only his went in the bread bowl...I picked on his bowl...when he didn't slap me away! It was so good w/ that garlicky crusted bread...he didn't want to share and ate the WHOLE thing himself...minus two...yes only 2 pieces I managed to peel off! He gobbled the entire bowl. I had mine in a crock w/ the cheese melted over the top (like Fr. Onion soup). Just as good.

I know there was debate as to soup/stew....mine was definitely soup.

Thanks Lola ...this was the highlight of a boring, frigid day. Loved it!

Oh, that bread sounds great. I loved Wegmans when I visited Rochester NY.

Page 1 of 1