Respected Contributor

Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port

This is what we had for Christmas dinner last year, and no kidding, I've thought about this meal several times throughout 2013. It is that kind of delicious.

Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port

Yield: Serves 12

1 ½ pounds large shallots (about 24), halved lengthwise, peeled

3 tablespoons olive oil

6 cups canned beef broth

1 ½ cups tawny Port

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 3- to 3 1/4-pound beef tenderloins (large ends), trimmed

2 teaspoons dried thyme

7 bacon slices, chopped

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter

1 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour

1 large bunch watercress

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375ºF. In 9-inch-diameter pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Boil broth and Port in large saucepan until reduced to 3 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste. (Shallots and broth mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)

Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In large roasting pan set over medium heat, sauté bacon until golden, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Transfer pan to oven; roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125ºF for medium-rare, about 45 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.

Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place roasting pan over high heat. Add broth mixture and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer to medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix 3 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cut beef into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon some sauce over. Garnish with watercress. Pass remaining sauce.

My notes from my 2012 file: This calls for a full-bodied red wine such as a Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon.

The meat was delicious, tender and moist, but the roasted shallots and port sauce were even better. I loved it, and, even after using for leftovers two days later, had a full pint to freeze. Will add to a pot of French Onion Soup after the first of the New Year. The only suggestion I could make is to not hold back on the shallots. They are truly delicious.

As a side to this dish, we had Potato Gratin With Mushrooms And Gruyère.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port

Hi! Sorry to be so long in replying, but I've been traveling. In answer to your question about side dishes, IamMrsG, I made mashed potatoes (a special request from one of the guests), gluten-free cornbread stuffing made with butternut squash and fresh cranberries, sauteed asparagus with toasted pine nuts and dried cranberries and yeast rolls, some regular and some gluten-free.

BEMom, one of the guests sliced the beef relatively thin, about 1/4", but I served buffet-style, so diners could take as much as they wanted.

Respected Contributor

IamMrsG, I wanted to let you know that one of my dinner guests who took home leftovers from the meal used the leftover sauce and meat as the basis for a stew. She added water, carrots and potatoes and boiled it until the vegetables were cooked, then added in the chopped meat, cooking it further until the meat was warmed through. She said it was delicious.

Super Contributor

This recipe sounds like something special. I am always disappointed in my Christmas dinners lately, from prime rib to pork. I think I will make this next year.

Occasional Contributor

I wanted to bump up this recipe. Made it for Christmas dinner last year and will be making it again this year. The sauce is fabulous with the tenderloin and I served it with scalloped potatoes and lemon ginger green beans. If you are looking for a great beef tenderloin recipe, give this a try. Merry Christmas!
Trusted Contributor

oooh, now THIS sounds delightful! Thanks for the recipe!

Respected Contributor

I was pleasantly surprised to see this brought out of the dusty Recipe Swap archives. It's good to 'hear,' NHPanther, that you enjoyed it last year.

I tried to change this year's Christmas Eve menu from this to a stuffed crown roast of pork, but my husband balked at the idea. So, we, too, will be having this dish.

Merry Christmas!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Occasional Contributor

MrsG - funny you said that about your husband, my husband specifically asked if we were having this again for Christmas! Had to give you props for sharing this great recipe and bump it up for this year. Hope you and your family enjoy. Merry Christmas!