Better Than Black Friday
104 Members and 14170 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Need Lost Recipe = Fruit cake for people that don't like fruitcake

Started 1384846425.443 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1385242238.36 by Deadeye Daisy

I don't remember who posted this but it was called something like this or else she said people that don't like fruit cake will like this one. We don't like fruit cake at all but did like this one.

Does anyone remember or have this, thanks

when I had to get a new hard drive I was posting about ones I lost but forgot so many of them till something comes up than I remember another one or two so post as I remember what I lost.

Page 1 of 2
Britbrit131384850289.2072671 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011

Here you go, enjoy!! I think this is it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Brittany

Posted by, Anika Brodie

This is probably my favorite recipe posted here. I haven't made it yet this Christmas season, but I'm sure it will cost a lot more than last year with the increase in grocery prices -- especially for the pecans and dates and cherries. It is so good and people who do not like fruitcake love this one.

CHERRY FRUIT CAKE

1 ½ CUPS FLOUR

1 ½ CUPS SUGAR

6 LARGE EGGS

1 TEAS. BAKING POWDER

1 TEAS. SALT

15 OZ. DATES (CUT INTO SMALL PIECES)

16 OZ. CAN OF PINEAPPLE CHUNKS (WELL DRAINED)

4 CUPS MARASCHINO CHERRIES (DRAINED)

5 ½ CUPS PECANS

1/3 CUP RUM

½ CUP WHITE CORN SYRUP

GREASE TWO 9X5 LOAF PANS. LINE WITH FOIL, ALLOWING A 2” OVERHANG.

MIX INGREDIENTS IN THE ORDER GIVEN AND PLACE IN LOAF PANS.

BAKE AT 300 DEG. FOR 1 ¾ HOURS OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN. COOL IN PAN FOR 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM PAN AND TAKE OFF FOIL. BRUSH WITH CORN SYRUP WHILE STILL WARM.

This is my recipe for Cherry Fruit Cake. I've made it for a lot of years, especially at Christmas, and it's always a big hit with my family and friends. I've also used mini foil pans in place of 9x5 loaf pans and give it as gifts. It freezes well.

Last edited on 11/19/2013

Lynneuk1384865399.6478327 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

This looks very interesting. So there is no butter or oil in the recipe?

Sooner1384867896.3515416 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

This is a no-bake one similar to the ones my mom made. It is more or less candy! I'll post her recipe too if I can find it. It has Eaglebrand Milk, so how can you go wrong with that? Our recipe didn't have to sit that long, but these were the basic ingredients--so you might google some options! OUR RECIPE USED VANILLA WAFERS

Ingredients

• 1 box graham crackers (14.4 oz)
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 jar maraschino cherries (10 oz)
  • 1 tablespoons cherry juice
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup shredded coconut, firmly packed
  • 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)

Instructions

1. Finely crush graham crackers and coarsely chop pecans and drained cherries.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
  3. Turn out into a lightly buttered 9X13 dish and press flat into the pan with your hands. Chill at least 6 hours.

Deadeye Da­isy1384868403.1531322 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sounds REALLY good. While I love fruitcake and know many who do, have a number of friends who don't.

I always have several BIG jars of cherries on hand. If you buy the large one at Sam's Club (4 lb 10 oz), after removing the stems you end up with 4 cups plus enough leftover for a number of hot fudge sundaes). Same if you buy the two pack of the large jars at BJs. Costco hasn't carried the cherries in a couple of years. I believe the price at Sam's and BJs is around $7. Would have to check my last receipt.

CLARIFICATION, PLEASE? Do you add both the rum and the corn syrup amounts shown into the batter itself and use additional syrup for brushing after baking?

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

Cactusflow­er1384879532.8243 PostsRegistered 5/11/2006

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/247318/fruitcake-for-those-who-dont-like-fruitcake-and-those-who-do.aspx

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.
~Leo Aikman

Barbarainnc1384883885.413278 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

This is one of the most unusual recipes I have ever made. My friend Debbie, let me try it and I had to have the recipe. I didn't even like fruitcake, and this is the only one I will make or eat. JJ

Stirring Fruitcake Recipe

1 pound of butter

2 cups sugar

6 eggs

4 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice

1 pound of candied cherries, rough chopped (red or green or some of both)

1 pound of candied pineapple, rough chopped

12 oz box of raisins or 2 cups

6 cups of chopped pecans

½ cup orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs. In another BIG bowl add the flour, spices, fruit and nuts. Stir to coat. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture, mix well. Place the batter in the biggest roasting pan you have. My pan was 13x18.5 x 2 inches. Now for the fun part, Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, stir it real good and pack the cooked mixture in a greased tube pan. I used my potato masher to pack the cooked cake mixture in the pan. Let it set on the counter overnight.

*** My Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt wouldn't hold all the batter, I mixed what I could, then just mixed the rest of the flour, fruit, nuts and orange marmalade by hand with a spoon in the roasting pan. The cake weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. Enjoy!!!

Beebee21384884484.0374001 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

Britbrit, that cherry cake looks really delicious.

Here's the one cactus flower linked to, the original posted by madzonie:

Fruitcake for those who don't like fruitcake - and those who do!

Mom's Lemon Fruitcake (has more of a pound cake texture)

1/2 Tsp salt
2 C sugar
4 C flour
8 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 lb butter
1 lb candied cherries
1 lb candied pineapple chunks or wedges
1 lb pecan halves
1 oz lemon extract (one small bottle)

Cream butter. Slowly add sugar. Then add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly.

Lightly sift flour baking powder and salt together. Add to butter sugar mixture. Add a one ounce bottle of lemon extract.

Put candied cherries, pineapple and pecans in a large bowl and mix with a little of the flour (this makes the sticky fruit less likely to clump once added to mixture). Carefully mix the fruit/nut mixture into batter.

Line mini loaf pans with parchment (or spray with nonstick spray). Fill loaf pans about 3/4 full. Gently compact the batter to eliminate any air bubbles.

Bake at 225-250º for approximately 60-75 minutes in the middle of the oven.

If you want to bake one large cake, pour batter into a prepared ring cake pan and bake for about 2 1/2 hours. Cakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool slightly, then remove from pans. If desired, wrap each cake in brandy- or whisky-soaked cheesecloth, then wrap tightly in a double layer of foil.

To serve, slice very thin pieces. The cake is very rich.

KatieB1384895332.123576 PostsRegistered 1/31/2007Greensboro, NC

Sooner, Please post your Mom's recipe... My mother who has passed away had one and it was so good. I don't know if she used graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafer crumbs. I wish I had written the recipe when she was still here...

Thanks, KatieB

Perkup1384895653.8376547 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

Does anyone make fruitcakes without nuts? Several in my family are allergic to nuts, but would like fruitcakes. When they get a piece of one they pick out the nuts, but there's never much left after that. I know I could just make a fruitcake and leave off the nuts, but somehow I think there should be something else involved when leaving out this apparently important ingredient. Any thoughts?

Brinklii1384895778.6510278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

These recipes sound good. My dad used to make one that was mainly pecans and fruit (none of that awful citron). It had very little batter to stick it all together. I guess it was almost a candy, but we have lost the recipe. It was great (but rich), and I normally don't like fruitcake.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Beebee21384896460.1174001 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009
On 11/19/2013 Brinklii said:

These recipes sound good. My dad used to make one that was mainly pecans and fruit (none of that awful citron). It had very little batter to stick it all together. I guess it was almost a candy, but we have lost the recipe. It was great (but rich), and I normally don't like fruitcake.

That is the kind of fruitcake we had, too, but it was purchased. It's hard to find any more.

kachina6241384898535.916622 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 11/19/2013 Sooner said:

This is a no-bake one similar to the ones my mom made. It is more or less candy! I'll post her recipe too if I can find it. It has Eaglebrand Milk, so how can you go wrong with that? Our recipe didn't have to sit that long, but these were the basic ingredients--so you might google some options! OUR RECIPE USED VANILLA WAFERS

Ingredients

• 1 box graham crackers (14.4 oz)
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 jar maraschino cherries (10 oz)
  • 1 tablespoons cherry juice
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup shredded coconut, firmly packed
  • 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)

Instructions

1. Finely crush graham crackers and coarsely chop pecans and drained cherries.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
  3. Turn out into a lightly buttered 9X13 dish and press flat into the pan with your hands. Chill at least 6 hours.
This is a trip down memory lane. Mother made this every year for years. It's good but I prefer the traditional fruitcake.

ROMARY1384898994.71317493 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010
On 11/19/2013 Britbrit13 said:

Here you go, enjoy!! I think this is it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Brittany

Posted by, Anika Brodie

This is probably my favorite recipe posted here. I haven't made it yet this Christmas season, but I'm sure it will cost a lot more than last year with the increase in grocery prices -- especially for the pecans and dates and cherries. It is so good and people who do not like fruitcake love this one.

CHERRY FRUIT CAKE

1 ½ CUPS FLOUR

1 ½ CUPS SUGAR

6 LARGE EGGS

1 TEAS. BAKING POWDER

1 TEAS. SALT

15 OZ. DATES (CUT INTO SMALL PIECES)

16 OZ. CAN OF PINEAPPLE CHUNKS (WELL DRAINED)

4 CUPS MARASCHINO CHERRIES (DRAINED)

5 ½ CUPS PECANS

1/3 CUP RUM

½ CUP WHITE CORN SYRUP

GREASE TWO 9X5 LOAF PANS. LINE WITH FOIL, ALLOWING A 2” OVERHANG.

MIX INGREDIENTS IN THE ORDER GIVEN AND PLACE IN LOAF PANS.

BAKE AT 300 DEG. FOR 1 ¾ HOURS OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN. COOL IN PAN FOR 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM PAN AND TAKE OFF FOIL. BRUSH WITH CORN SYRUP WHILE STILL WARM.

This is my recipe for Cherry Fruit Cake. I've made it for a lot of years, especially at Christmas, and it's always a big hit with my family and friends. I've also used mini foil pans in place of 9x5 loaf pans and give it as gifts. It freezes well.

OMGOSH.........I remember this recipe! I misplaced it, so thank you!! So very easy, too!

Yellow Rose

doglover31384909602.4539879 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

thanks so much ladies and yes, that is exactly the one I had that Cactusflow­er and Beebee2

posted BUT, the others sound so good as well I will have to try them now too, am sure we will like them as much at the other, thanks so much.

Sooner, would also like your mom's recipe when you have time.

pudding981384910093.77234 PostsRegistered 6/13/2010
Sooner that's my mother-in-laws recipe that she made for years. No one has made it since she passed away. Seems like she called it 5 pound fruitcake. It's definitely more confection than cake.

Deadeye Da­isy1384911359.731322 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/19/2013 Perkup said:

Does anyone make fruitcakes without nuts? Several in my family are allergic to nuts, but would like fruitcakes. When they get a piece of one they pick out the nuts, but there's never much left after that. I know I could just make a fruitcake and leave off the nuts, but somehow I think there should be something else involved when leaving out this apparently important ingredient. Any thoughts?

I don't ever remember seeing a fruitcake made with tree nuts, and we've gotten from all over the US, Austria, Italy, France, Spain and UK.

Fruitcakes generally are NOT made with tree nuts or peanuts, which is what those with 'nut' allergies have issues with. Most fruitcakes are made with pecans, which actually aren't a nut. They're a 'drupe', not in the nut family.

If they were actually allergic to the pecans in a fruitcake, picking them out wouldn't do much good - just the nuts being in the proximity of the cake would put them into a spin.

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

ROMARY1384915177.80717493 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Hey, I'm going to try baking the Cherry Fruit Cake in muffin tins!

Yellow Rose

Sooner1384915397.73315416 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/19/2013 KatieB said:

Sooner, Please post your Mom's recipe... My mother who has passed away had one and it was so good. I don't know if she used graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafer crumbs. I wish I had written the recipe when she was still here...

Thanks, KatieB

This is one of those recipes that is scribbled and not "all there"! LOL!!

Sooner Fruitcake

1 can coconut

1 8-oz. jar maraschino cherries drained

1 can Eaglebrand milk

1 cup nuts (pecans) halved

1/2 cut dates

We added some vanilla wafer or graham cracker crumbs to the mix and some candied fruit. It was sort of an iffy do-what-you-want-to-do recipe!

Line loaf pan with waxed paper, and cook at 250 degrees 1 hr. 20 min.

Haven't made this in 20 years, so I don't guarantee the outcome! If you try it, I'd love to know.

iQue1384960578.98190 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

I am reposting recipe by Lavender and Gulfcoastms...a good substitue for fruitcake:

Christmas Fruitcake Cookies

1 stick butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds dates, chopped
1/ 2 pound mixed candied fruitcake mix
1 pound pecan halves
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon soda, dissolved in 1/2 cup Bourbon

Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Sift together flour, spices and salt. Add to creamed mixture. In a very large container, combine dates, candied fruit, pecans, vanilla, and soda mixture last. Add creamed mixture and mix well by hand.

Drop by teaspoon on a greased baking sheet, Decorate with a pecan half or candy cherry on each cookie if desired. Bake on top rack of preheated 350-degree oven, with a pan of water on lower rack for 12 minutes.

Makes about 12 dozen cookies.

These cookies store well in a plastic container and will keep up to 2 weeks. They improve with time and are moist.

--
gulfcoastms- Recipe Swap

Christmas Fruitcake Cookies delicious! My changes included below. We first made these Dec. 2010

1 stick butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
(I would use only 1 cup next time because the fruit was so sweet already)
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
(we didn't use)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
(only added 1/2 tsp but I think the whole tsp. would be good)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds dates, chopped
(only used 1 (8 oz.) container; whole, pitted dates- chopped)
1/ 2 pound mixed candied fruitcake mix
(we used 1 (4 oz.) container red candied cherries, 1 (4 oz.) container green candied cherries, 1 (8 oz.) candied pineapple
1 pound pecan halves
(used about 2 cup pecans~ toasted then chopped)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon soda, dissolved in 1/2 cup Bourbon
(I bought a tiny bottle of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and it was just 1/4 cup so I added 1/4 cup buttermilk to the fruit mixture)

Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Sift together flour, spices and salt. Add to creamed mixture. In a very large container, combine dates, candied fruit, pecans, vanilla
(I added vanilla to batter), and soda mixture last. Add creamed mixture and mix well by hand.

Drop by teaspoon on a greased baking sheet.
(we used parchment paper and didn't grease) Decorate with a pecan half or candy cherry on each cookie if desired. Bake on top rack of preheated 350-degree oven, with a pan of water on lower rack for 12 minutes.

Makes about 12 dozen cookies.
(We got about 55-60 cookies)

iQue1384961104.463190 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

I made these last year and they were yummy. I used candied fruit and raisins soaked in rum. I also added pumpkin spice.

***The original poster was Barbarainnc.

Fruitcake Cookies

1/2 c shortening

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/4 c buttermilk

1-3/4 c all-purpose flour

1/2 t salt

1/2 t baking soda

1 c halved candied cherries

1 c chopped dates

3/4 c chopped pecans

In a bowl cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg and buttermilk. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda and add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the cherries, dates and chopped pecans.

Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack to cool. Yield: 3 dozen. My aunt makes these, and I'd use a Silpat Baking Mat instead of a greased baking sheet.

Last edited on 11/20/2013

KatieB1384962392.297576 PostsRegistered 1/31/2007Greensboro, NC
On 11/19/2013 Sooner said:
On 11/19/2013 KatieB said:

Thanks, KatieB

This is one of those recipes that is scribbled and not "all there"! LOL!!

Sooner Fruitcake

1 can coconut

1 8-oz. jar maraschino cherries drained

1 can Eaglebrand milk

1 cup nuts (pecans) halved

1/2 cut dates

We added some vanilla wafer or graham cracker crumbs to the mix and some candied fruit. It was sort of an iffy do-what-you-want-to-do recipe!

Line loaf pan with waxed paper, and cook at 250 degrees 1 hr. 20 min.

Haven't made this in 20 years, so I don't guarantee the outcome! If you try it, I'd love to know.

Thanks Sooner... If I make it I will let you know how it turns out.

Barbarainnc1384978304.493278 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

iQue thanks for reposting the fruitcake cookie recipe. They are really yummy!!!!

Give the Stirring Fruitcake a try, also really yummy. It's the only fruitcake I'll make or eat!!!

ROMARY1384978631.14717493 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Candied fruit and raisins soaked in rum.........yum! I think I'll 'copy you' and spoon it on my vanilla ice cream tonight! I can actually smell the aroma right now..........

Yellow Rose

iQue1384979383.127190 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

@ROMARY....my mom used to soak her fruit in rum for months. She would use it in fruitcakes and add a little more rum on top when it the cake was done. You could probably light a match to the cake and have fuitcake flambee. She would also use the soaked fruit in cinnamon/raisin rolls. You just have to drain the soaked fruit and sprinkle in flour so the fruit does not drop to bottom of cake. Or at least that is what she taught me. And then the remaining juice can always be used for some other baked goods that needed liquid. I miss her dearly especially around the holidays.

iQue1384979713.32190 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010
On 11/20/2013 Barbarainnc said:

iQue thanks for reposting the fruitcake cookie recipe. They are really yummy!!!!

Give the Stirring Fruitcake a try, also really yummy. It's the only fruitcake I'll make or eat!!!

Barbarinnc, thank YOU for the yummy recipe. I was thinking this year to make up the dough and freeze the unbaked cookies and then I can take out a couple at a time to bake. I can't just eat one. Would love to try the stirring fruitcake but I would probably be only one to eat it. I am sure it is delish...the cookies go over so much better though.

Page 1 of 2