Fall Fashion Clearance
122 Members and 16528 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe for Cut-out and Eat Cookies

Started 1384137694.82 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1386539882.68 by Britbrit13

From “Sunset Magazine,” Lane Publishing, Menlo Park, CA, circa 1980s, comes this fantastic gingerbread cookie recipe which I use lots during Christmas baking. It’s rolled thicker than most gingerbread cookies, cuts easily into any shape and retains its moistness. I’ve included a recipe for royal icing, which I like to use when decorating the cookies. I have so many memories making and decorating these cookies with my daughter.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.

¾ C heavy whipping cream 1 tsp grated lemon peel

1-1/4 C firmly packed light brn sugar¼ tsp salt

2/3 C light molasses 4-1/2 C unbleached flour, unsifted

1 Tbs soda Cold water + pastry brush

1-1/2 tsp ground ginger White/colored decorating icing

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Using a stand or electric hand mixer, beat the cream until very soft peaks form. Beat in the sugar, molasses, soda, ginger, cinnamon, lemon peel, and salt. Using low setting, gradually stir in the flour, mixing well after each addition. Let dough stand, covered, about 30 minutes or until easy to handle. You can chill the dough overnight, then allow it to return to room temperature before cutting/shaping.

On a lightly floured pastry cloth or board, roll out dough to a bit thicker than 1/8”. Cut with large cookie cutters, freehand with a knife, or knife with cardboard template (about 5” maximum dimension).

Arrange cookies about 1” apart on prepared cookie sheets. Brush each lightly with cold water using a pastry brush. Bake in 350 oven for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.

Transfer to racks or wax paper to cool. Store airtight up to 2 weeks at room temp. Serve plain or decorate with icing. Makes about 3 dozen cookies of average size.

Icing: 2 egg whites and 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar. In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they are frothy and slightly thickened. Add the sifted sugar into the whites ½ cup at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Continue to beat for about 5 minutes or until stiff icing is formed. Add a small round decorating tip to a pastry bag and work with 1 cup of the icing at a time.

Enjoy! - Rebecca

"We the People..."
Celebrate the Bicentennial of the "Star Spangled Banner."

Page 1 of 1
Vamp1384180374.05711234 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

Thank you, sfnative. My kids love gingerbread & I love Sunset magazine (although I no longer live in the West, every time I visit family out there, I go through their editions {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1})

Last edited on 11/11/2013

mysterylady1384214271.513714 PostsRegistered 8/23/2009

I'm guessing this is a soft cookie. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If so I'll be trying it for the holidays.

sfnative1384224553.835338 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR
On 11/11/2013 mysterylady said:

I'm guessing this is a soft cookie. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If so I'll be trying it for the holidays.

This not the type of gingerbread used to make a gingerbread house: dry and hard.

It has more body than cream cheese cookie cut-out dough. I use it primarily to make and decorate festive shapes that can be eaten by kids and adults, as it has a wonderful mouth feel.

One year, I rolled the dough a bit thinner, cut smaller shapes,made one hole with a large skewer and baked the cookies a bit longer and so was able to decorate and hang them on the tree. Best use is, however, for decorating and eating. I just love this recipe!

Hope this helps.

"We the People..."

LoLa1384306858.981704 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007Michigan USA

I LOVE gingerbread anything! Thank you so much!!

LoLa

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to you heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.

mtnbikegirl1384309062.2231076 PostsRegistered 6/12/2013

thank you!

candys mine1384384878.333404 PostsRegistered 8/20/2012

Thank You! I love Gingerbread! I needed a good cut out cookie! All my cookies are drop type.

Dusty11384443196.323859 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

Can you clarify this for me:

1 Tbs soda

Is it baking soda? 1 tablespoon?

Thanks.

sfnative1384451733.5175338 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR
On 11/14/2013 Dusty1 said:

1 Tbs soda

Is it baking soda? 1 tablespoon?

Thanks.

Apologies for the layout of the recipe. It was cut and pasted from Word, then edited on this page, but would simply not edit correctly, which could make for visual confusion.

To your question: Yes, it is baking soda as is commonly used in baking. And, Yes, it is 1 whole Tablespoon. The dough is not light compared to a like amount of chocolate chip cookie dough, so this may account for the amount of baking soda.

Hope this helps.

"We the People..."

Dusty11384457653.563859 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006
On 11/14/2013 sfnative said:
On 11/14/2013 Dusty1 said:

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; text-align: left;">1 Tbs soda

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; text-align: left;">

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; text-align: left;">Is it baking soda? 1 tablespoon?

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; text-align: left;">Thanks.

Apologies for the layout of the recipe. It was cut and pasted from Word, then edited on this page, but would simply not edit correctly, which could make for visual confusion.

To your question: Yes, it is baking soda as is commonly used in baking. And, Yes, it is 1 whole Tablespoon. The dough is not light compared to a like amount of chocolate chip cookie dough, so this may account for the amount of baking soda.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. It seemed like a lot, so I wanted to make sure.

nomar1384458478.853553 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

I am thrilled to get the royal icing recipe included with this.

Beebee21384459451.753877 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

Rebecca, This formatting should not have to be a hassle. I don't know why QVC hasn't corrected this problem. Don't hesitate to post, however. We can figure it out, and sometimes even post it in a way that it's easier to read. Thanks for this recipe and your comments. I have to give it a try.

From “Sunset Magazine,” Lane Publishing, Menlo Park, CA, circa 1980s, comes this fantastic gingerbread cookie recipe which I use lots during Christmas baking. It’s rolled thicker than most gingerbread cookies, cuts easily into any shape and retains its moistness. I’ve included a recipe for royal icing, which I like to use when decorating the cookies. I have so many memories making and decorating these cookies with my daughter.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.

¾ C heavy whipping cream

1 tsp grated lemon peel

1-1/4 C firmly packed light brn sugar

¼ tsp salt

2/3 C light molasses

4-1/2 C unbleached flour, unsifted

1 Tbs soda Cold water + pastry brush

1-1/2 tsp ground ginger

White/colored decorating icing

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Using a stand or electric hand mixer, beat the cream until very soft peaks form. Beat in the sugar, molasses, soda, ginger, cinnamon, lemon peel, and salt. Using low setting, gradually stir in the flour, mixing well after each addition. Let dough stand, covered, about 30 minutes or until easy to handle. You can chill the dough overnight, then allow it to return to room temperature before cutting/shaping.

On a lightly floured pastry cloth or board, roll out dough to a bit thicker than 1/8”. Cut with large cookie cutters, freehand with a knife, or knife with cardboard template (about 5” maximum dimension).

Arrange cookies about 1” apart on prepared cookie sheets. Brush each lightly with cold water using a pastry brush. Bake in 350 oven for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.

Transfer to racks or wax paper to cool. Store airtight up to 2 weeks at room temp. Serve plain or decorate with icing. Makes about 3 dozen cookies of average size.

Icing: 2 egg whites and 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar. In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they are frothy and slightly thickened. Add the sifted sugar into the whites ½ cup at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Continue to beat for about 5 minutes or until stiff icing is formed. Add a small round decorating tip to a pastry bag and work with 1 cup of the icing at a time.

Enjoy! - Rebecca

Last edited on 11/14/2013

sfnative1384552250.6475338 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

Beebee2

Thank you so very much for the new layout of the recipe. That was so kind. I think perhaps I'll have DH get involved next time, if I encounter the same issue.

Happy weekend to all! God Bless - Rebecca

"We the People..."

Britbrit131386539882.682631 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011

Beebee2, Thank you so much for making this recipe easier to read!! I am making these this year for my cookie plates I give to friends and neighbors.. This makes it so much easier {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} to read.. I think im going to make cream cheese frosting for half..soft and yummy and also some traditional. Thank you for taking the time to do this!!

Brittany

Last edited on 12/8/2013

Page 1 of 1