Regular Contributor

CHORIZO & BLACK BEAN SOUP WITH EGGS

I found this in a recent Rachael Ray Magazine (I seem to be obsessed with black beans lately as I posted a Black Bean, Corn & Avocado recipe yesterday). I had some chorizo in the freezer & decided to go for it.

1 Tb. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil

1/2 lb. raw chorizo, casings removed & meat crumbled or chopped

1 onion, chopped

2 Serrano or jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced or chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or chopped

1 Tb. ancho chili powder

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. ground coriander

Salt & Pepper

2 (15 oz.) cans black beans

3 c. chicken stock (I used unsalted)

4 eggs

Tortilla Chips

Opt. Toppings: crumbled queso fresco or other mild cheese, sliced scallions, pickled jalapenos, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro

In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the oil over med. high heat. Add the chorizo & cook till crisp at the edges, about 2 min. Add the onion, chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin & coriander; season with salt & pepper. Cook stirring to toast the spices for a couple of minutes. In a blender or food processor, puree 1 can of beans & 1 c. chicken stock. Add to the dutch oven along with the remaining 1 can of beans & 2c. stock. Simmer over med, high heat for a few minutes to thicken. Meanwhile cook the eggs by poaching or frying over easy. To serve, line the edges of soup bowls with a few tortilla chips. Add the soup, an egg on top for mixing in & any of the toppings you like.

When I made this, I felt it needed more meat, there were 4 casings of chorizo so I used 3 of them which was probably 3/4 of a pound. I used only 1 jalapeno & the Tb. of ancho chili powder was a scant Tb. & thought it was spicy enough but if you like it really spicy, add the other jalapeno & a full Tb. of the ancho chili powder. I have had it without the eggs , just didn't want to mess with it. I used Monterey jack shredded cheese as I couldn't find the queso at the store. It is a really hearty soup. I hope you like it.