Better Than Black Friday
117 Members and 16031 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Expired cake mix

Started 1364333409.743 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1364491017.717 by FunkyHulaGirl
replies

I was searching for something, and you know who that goes...one rabbit trail after another! Anyway, I came across something on Taste of Home that I thought was interesting:

If you have an expired cake mix, add 1 tsp. of baking powder to the mix and it'll rise perfectly. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
Southern B­ee1364338420.977266 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
Funkyhulagirl: thank you for sharing this info. I never like to throw food out but always concerned about food safety. I always thought if the package was still sealed how long you could you use the product after the expiration date. I just purchased 12 boxes of cake mix on sale for $.95 I was planning to use them for Easter and birthdays in the next couple of months and praying that I had not purchased more than what I could use.

lulu21364338641.7521636 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I've used expired cake mixes and have never had any problems with them rising.

FunkyHulaG­irl1364338699.566973 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

I stocked up on the regular size cake mix while I could still find them, so I probably have a year's supply at least.

From what I was reading, as long as the mix smells OK (not rancid or "off" in any way) it's fine to use. Cake mixes are well-sealed in plastic, so I don't think there's any concern about anything getting into them.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thingamajig1364464573.221960 PostsRegistered 7/13/2006

That's great to know! Thank you for the information!

faeriemoon1364472957.0436573 PostsRegistered 5/13/2005

Good information; thank you!Smile

My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT!?! ~Pinterest~

Baxjaxmom1364488560.6432508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Wasn't there a thread on here not long ago about the "dangers" of using expired cake mixes with the theory (or perhaps "fact" - I don't recall) that a "toxicity" sets up after a certain amount of time making them dangerous to consume?????? How is anyone supposed to know for sure what to believe? I threw out 4 boxes of Jiffy Cornmeal Mix (which I probably bought on sale) just a couple of days ago because the expiration date was long past and I remembered that thread referencing toxicity. Rather than take a risk, I tossed them. Now am I to wonder if there was nothing wrong with them? Just to be on the safe side, I've also long since stopped stocking up on cake mixes for the same reason. One thread seems to contradict the other. I've had food poisoning and I will do anything to avoid that experience so I guess I'm overly cautious and not willing to take the risk.

FunkyHulaG­irl1364491017.7176973 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!
On 3/28/2013 Baxjaxmom said:

Wasn't there a thread on here not long ago about the "dangers" of using expired cake mixes with the theory (or perhaps "fact" - I don't recall) that a "toxicity" sets up after a certain amount of time making them dangerous to consume?????? How is anyone supposed to know for sure what to believe? I threw out 4 boxes of Jiffy Cornmeal Mix (which I probably bought on sale) just a couple of days ago because the expiration date was long past and I remembered that thread referencing toxicity. Rather than take a risk, I tossed them. Now am I to wonder if there was nothing wrong with them? Just to be on the safe side, I've also long since stopped stocking up on cake mixes for the same reason. One thread seems to contradict the other. I've had food poisoning and I will do anything to avoid that experience so I guess I'm overly cautious and not willing to take the risk.

The concern was over pancake mix; there's a story that's been circulating around the web for a while about a boy who allegedly died from it. Here's the truth:

We weren't sure what to believe, so we turned to momlogic's Dr. Cara Natterson to find out if old pancake and cake mix can be detrimental to your health. Here's what Dr. Cara had to say:

"Molds or mold spores do have the ability to cause severe allergic reactions in some people. But we shouldn't go panic about pancake mix. If the mix is packaged in an air-tight plastic pouch, it is extremely difficult for there to be enough moisture inside the pouch to allow molds to gain access and grow.

And while you certainly should check expiration dates, this particular scenario is highly unusual and requires a number of aligned circumstances: an expired mix, a non-airtight pouch, a person who continues to eat (maybe because he doesn't notice) mold-infested pancakes, and serious allergic reaction to the mold."

Page 1 of 1