Trusted Contributor

I was at a Potluck today and had a dessert with a juicy blueberry layer, a top layer that was light colored and very firm and smooth -- not a pie crust, but more candy-like than cake-like. It had pecans baked on top and was in a 9x5 pan. It was very sweet but very good. I heard one lady say she brought a Blueberry Dump Cake, so I wondered if that was hers. Is the thin candy-like layer characteristic of the texture of a Dump Cake? I've seen recipes on this forum, but never knew how the finished product looked. TIA for the help.

Super Contributor

Re: Question About Dump Cake

can you tell I am hunting up recipes?

this sounds so good!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/12/2013 HoneyBit said:

betteb,

Well, it's hard to tell from a small picture, but that looks more like a pie crust than what my mouth registered as "smooth and candy-like." Thanks for the link.

the recipe says that this "crust" is actually just powdered vanilla cake mix with melted butter poured over it. So I don't think it would be like a pie crust at all. Very light and super buttery/sugary. Maybe this is the blueberry dump cake you tried?
Frequent Contributor

Whenever I see Dump Cake mentioned - it reminds me - that the only thing it did for me, was to convince me - that I should just DUMP it all in the trash. I am 72, so I've been around a block or two - testing recipes - and this just won't fly with me. Ladies - take a bowl with cake mix in it - add in some melted butter. Now put it in a pan and bake it. That is my example. You would think that any liquid in the bottom layer would mix with the cake mix
and make things good - but it just doesn't.

I bought the Dump Cake Cookbook, and tried the cherries on the bottom with cake mix and chopped pecans on the top. I tried - I really tried to like it, but after 1 square and 1/2 - it went in the trash. Next a friend sent me a recipe for pumpkin mixture on the bottom, cake mix on top then chopped pecans. Again - the pumpkin tasted fine but could not tolerate the mound of cake mix just sitting on the top. It does nothing. Again - in the trash it went and I'm done. A good waste of cherries and chopped pecans.

Another friend said to try mixing some of the cake mix into the bottom layer - see if that helps? Well - that isn't DUMPing that is MIXing. And that isn't what the cookbook calls for. Dumping is dumping. Sorry - I won't try any more recipes! Hope you all enjoy!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I made one with a can of cherries and white cake mix. I didn't use the whole box of cake mix, just half of it. I didn't want all that dry cake mix just sitting on top of it. I also did not use a can of pineapple or pecans, just the cherries and cake mix.

I drizzled melted butter on it per the directions and I also sprinkled a little sugar over the cake mix to make it crispier. Part of the way through the cooking, I checked on it and in the places where there no butter just looked like dry cake mix sitting on top, so I got out the spray butter and tried to mist it all. I also took a spoon and swirled some of mix down into the cherries.

When it came out of the oven, it looked like a cherry crisp, and it was pretty good served warm. We were all saying we wished we had some vanilla ice cream to go with it. I think sprinkling a little sugar on top with the butter misting helped "crisp" it up.

The problem was, I was in a hurry after dinner and covered it with foil before it had a chance to really cool down, so the next day the leftovers were soggy and I tossed it out.

If I made it again, I would maybe try to make a smaller one and definitely let it cool completely before covering it.

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2013 Sakuya said:

I saw Dump Cake and the movie The Help immediately came to mind and the special chocolate pie.

Super Contributor

thanks BeckiWV for letting us know how your turned out and for the tips!

I so miss WV and just might move back there one day.