Super Contributor

Looking for tried and true pinto bean soup recipe

I would greatly appreciate any of your personal recipes for this! Thanks.
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for tried and true pinto bean soup recipe

In my family, pinto beans are cooked almost all day with salt pork or bacon. When the beans are almost done, we add salt, and sugar, and continue simmering until the bean soup consistency changes from thin brown water to a slightly thicker consistency (thanks to the sugar). When my family cooks pinto, great northern, October, yellow eye, or navy beans, we do not add any other ingredients---we want our beans plain with slightly thickened soup, a big onion, and cornbread or biscuits. Beans are a big part of our diet.
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/18/2014 RedTop said: In my family, pinto beans are cooked almost all day with salt pork or bacon. When the beans are almost done, we add salt, and sugar, and continue simmering until the bean soup consistency changes from thin brown water to a slightly thicker consistency (thanks to the sugar). When my family cooks pinto, great northern, October, yellow eye, or navy beans, we do not add any other ingredients---we want our beans plain with slightly thickened soup, a big onion, and cornbread or biscuits. Beans are a big part of our diet.

We cooked beans/peas like this also. Just onion and cornbread. 2 days later we added cooked onion and cubed potatoes (and any other veggies you like) and made bean soup for another meal.

Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 RedTop said: In my family, pinto beans are cooked almost all day with salt pork or bacon. When the beans are almost done, we add salt, and sugar, and continue simmering until the bean soup consistency changes from thin brown water to a slightly thicker consistency (thanks to the sugar). When my family cooks pinto, great northern, October, yellow eye, or navy beans, we do not add any other ingredients---we want our beans plain with slightly thickened soup, a big onion, and cornbread or biscuits. Beans are a big part of our diet.
this is exactlyhow I grew up eating beans..cooked just as you describe....with biscuits a or cornbread and onion on the side. Sometimes we would get fancy and have some coleslaw on the side ...lol. This way of cooking just brings out the flavor of the beans. We had beans a lot and I still make them a huge part of my diet.