Holidays at Home
137 Members and 11689 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

If you use Jiffy Cornbread Mix add this in...

Started 1325451963.85 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1325475892.287 by Hooty

Saw this in a cookbook : Add 1-2 Tablespoons of melted bacon grease to the Jiffy cornbread mix. :) :)

Jiffy Cornbread

1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix

1/3 c milk

1 egg

1-2 Tablespoons of melted bacon grease

Bake at 400* for about 20-25 minutes in a greased 8 inch square pan.

Page 1 of 1
Brabls1325455524.3214740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

For the heart health conscious, try a small can of peppers instead of bacon fat for some zip!

bigkat1325455759.7273899 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan

Every thing is better with bacon right? Chili peppers and cheese would be great in it too!

Brabls1325455851.7114740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

Brinklii1325456801.2110278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

When I was a child, we used melted bacon grease in everything...macaroni and cheese, wilted lettuce salad, corn bread. Once my dad developed heart disease, we stopped that.

For variations, sometimes I add an extra couple tablespoons of sugar if I wanted it sweeter, or add jalapeno peppers for some zip. My sister sometimes adds creamed corn in lieu of part of the liquid.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

starpolish­er1325457071.66932 PostsRegistered 11/14/2005

I add sour cream, a little sugar, honey and melted butter. Yum!... and cake like!

""A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." ~ Bernard Meltzer

kitty601325457323.807306 PostsRegistered 4/11/2009

I use buttermilk instead of milk. LJ

Nightowlz1325458524.8679625 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/1/2012 Dungannon said:

I use buttermilk instead of milk. LJ

I use almost twice as much buttermilk instead of milk. Makes it moist.

Smile

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

bigkat1325458722.3473899 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan
On 1/1/2012 Brabls said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

I did have a disclaimer because I knew someone would comment, and I took it off, guess I should have left it on. I'm truly sorry about your friend. I and many others have family and friends who have gone through heart surgery...my dad died of heart failure, so I do know.(a little bacon flavor in some thing now and then did not kill him, this I know.)My FIL has had too many surgeries for me to remember, brought on by diabetes. We all choose different things to eat, and hopefully in moderation that it will not do us personal harm. I was attempting to be light hearted(no pun intended) in a reply to the poster who was just putting a recipe up. I am very sorry, and I will try to choose my wording better next time.

mima1325460904.4814444 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I bet real (peppered) Hormel bacon bits would be good in them too.

Mima

Daysdee1325461136.9118881 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 1/1/2012 Tabbychic said:

When I was a child, we used melted bacon grease in everything...macaroni and cheese, wilted lettuce salad, corn bread. Once my dad developed heart disease, we stopped that.

For variations, sometimes I add an extra couple tablespoons of sugar if I wanted it sweeter, or add jalapeno peppers for some zip. My sister sometimes adds creamed corn in lieu of part of the liquid.


When I was a kid we used bacon grease to make fried eggs and in other dishes too. Thankfully, I developed better eating habits as we became more knowledgeable about fat, cholesterol, etc. as heart disease runs in my family. Now I buy bacon maybe once or twice a year, if that.

DiamondGir­ly1325462065.4172454 PostsRegistered 9/7/2009Sunny California
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:
On 1/1/2012 Brabls said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

I did have a disclaimer because I knew someone would comment, and I took it off, guess I should have left it on. I'm truly sorry about your friend. I and many others have family and friends who have gone through heart surgery...my dad died of heart failure, so I do know.(a little bacon flavor in some thing now and then did not kill him, this I know.)My FIL has had too many surgeries for me to remember, brought on by diabetes. We all choose different things to eat, and hopefully in moderation that it will not do us personal harm. I was attempting to be light hearted(no pun intended) in a reply to the poster who was just putting a recipe up. I am very sorry, and I will try to choose my wording better next time.

I am thinking what bigkat meant is "Everything TASTES better with bacon...." We are all pretty much aware of the unhealthiness of many ingredients, but moderation is the key!

I'm sorry, also, about the friend who just had heart surgery! So happy they were able to "Fix" it, though. My best to the friend!! Many have heart attacks without warning, like my barely 49-yr-old brother did 11 years ago!!

Buon Appetito!!
Glori in Cali
Go San Francisco 49ers & GIANTS!!!

Sooner1325462162.65314940 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'm not a big bacon grease fan. Never have been.

betteb1325462518.9716327 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 1/1/2012 mima said:

I bet real (peppered) Hormel bacon bits would be good in them too.

I think that would be especially good with beans. Maybe add some onion too.

There are a lot of things you can do to jazz up Jiffy.

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

Islandgirl­70321325470998.42712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:
On 1/1/2012 Brabls said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

I did have a disclaimer because I knew someone would comment, and I took it off, guess I should have left it on. I'm truly sorry about your friend. I and many others have family and friends who have gone through heart surgery...my dad died of heart failure, so I do know.(a little bacon flavor in some thing now and then did not kill him, this I know.)My FIL has had too many surgeries for me to remember, brought on by diabetes. We all choose different things to eat, and hopefully in moderation that it will not do us personal harm. I was attempting to be light hearted(no pun intended) in a reply to the poster who was just putting a recipe up. I am very sorry, and I will try to choose my wording better next time.

You meant no harm bigkat, don't feel bad!

I have heart issues and LOVE bacon and I certainly took no offense!

I realized you meant in moderation, in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise and not smoking! That's just common sense and shouldn't have to be said.

Sometimes we just need to read between the lines and not take things so literally!Wink

ETA: And yes, I still eat bacon occasionally!

Last edited on 1/1/2012

Last edited on 1/1/2012




mschrief1325471527.383934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

I use half & half instead of milk. Makes for a very mellow muffin!

You just can't beat Jiffy cornbread mix.

bigkat1325472375.2033899 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan
On 1/1/2012 Islandgirl7032 said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:
On 1/1/2012 Brabls said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

I did have a disclaimer because I knew someone would comment, and I took it off, guess I should have left it on. I'm truly sorry about your friend. I and many others have family and friends who have gone through heart surgery...my dad died of heart failure, so I do know.(a little bacon flavor in some thing now and then did not kill him, this I know.)My FIL has had too many surgeries for me to remember, brought on by diabetes. We all choose different things to eat, and hopefully in moderation that it will not do us personal harm. I was attempting to be light hearted(no pun intended) in a reply to the poster who was just putting a recipe up. I am very sorry, and I will try to choose my wording better next time.

You meant no harm bigkat, don't feel bad!

I have heart issues and LOVE bacon and I certainly took no offense!

I realized you meant in moderation, in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise and not smoking! That's just common sense and shouldn't have to be said.

Sometimes we just need to read between the lines and not take things so literally!Wink

ETA: And yes, I still eat bacon occasionally!

Last edited on 1/1/2012


Thank you DiamondGirly and Islandgirl...I don't feel too bad. I get overzealous to send a reply to the poster about their recipe, I forget others may take it differently. I certainly didn't mean for a person to belly up to a trough of bacon. Bacon can add a great taste to things, there is turkey bacon too, but I've heard it isn't all that much better for you either!(I'm probably putting my foot in mouth again!) Yes, moderation in all things....that's the answer! Happy New Year!

Mimi 2 Five1325472383.54778 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

I just made some Jiffy cornbread tonight. I wanted something a little different so to 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix I doubled the ingredients to add in to the mix and also dumped in a drained, whole can of corn (not creamed kind).

I had read a tip online on how to take that gritty-grainy taste away from the baked top after you take it out of the oven. Cover the pan completely with a piece of tinfoil to "steam" it...leave it on about 15 minutes.

Oooo wow, what a difference it made, going to do that from now on!

mschrief1325473456.83934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

Made my Jiffy cornbread tonight with some cheese shreds stirred in, and baked in my K33980 pan. Love the neat little squares. Think portion control! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

starpolish­er1325475303.193932 PostsRegistered 11/14/2005
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:
On 1/1/2012 Islandgirl7032 said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:
On 1/1/2012 Brabls said:
On 1/1/2012 bigkat said:

Every thing is better with bacon right?


My 57 year old friend who just had open heart surgery will differ with statement.

I did have a disclaimer because I knew someone would comment, and I took it off, guess I should have left it on. I'm truly sorry about your friend. I and many others have family and friends who have gone through heart surgery...my dad died of heart failure, so I do know.(a little bacon flavor in some thing now and then did not kill him, this I know.)My FIL has had too many surgeries for me to remember, brought on by diabetes. We all choose different things to eat, and hopefully in moderation that it will not do us personal harm. I was attempting to be light hearted(no pun intended) in a reply to the poster who was just putting a recipe up. I am very sorry, and I will try to choose my wording better next time.

You meant no harm bigkat, don't feel bad!

I have heart issues and LOVE bacon and I certainly took no offense!

I realized you meant in moderation, in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise and not smoking! That's just common sense and shouldn't have to be said.

Sometimes we just need to read between the lines and not take things so literally!Wink

ETA: And yes, I still eat bacon occasionally!

Last edited on 1/1/2012


Thank you DiamondGirly and Islandgirl...I don't feel too bad. I get overzealous to send a reply to the poster about their recipe, I forget others may take it differently. I certainly didn't mean for a person to belly up to a trough of bacon. Bacon can add a great taste to things, there is turkey bacon too, but I've heard it isn't all that much better for you either!(I'm probably putting my foot in mouth again!) Yes, moderation in all things....that's the answer! Happy New Year!

I understood what you meant! On the thread about what to make for New Years Day dinner someone mentioned about the trilogy on the stove years ago...salt, pepper and a can of bacon grease! My mom used it to season green beans and fry eggs and potatoes. Funny, no one in my family was ever overweight in our family. Now my siblings and I who think we are eating better and not using a lot of the things mom did are all overweight. Sometimes I wonder if maybe having foods that were more satisfying in taste and simple, comforting recipes helped with portion control and satiety. Just thinking....

Happy New Year everyone!

Starr

""A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." ~ Bernard Meltzer

Hooty1325475892.28718813 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I love my Jiffy cornbread mix, but I'll pass on the bacon grease thank you!

Page 1 of 1