Honored Contributor

Scalloped Vegetable Casserole

I made this for dinner Christmas Eve. It's from Paula Deen and was in her November/December magazine. It was a hit! Even my children, who are not big on vegetables, had seconds and thirds!

Happy Holidays everyone! I haven't been on the boards much lately. Thanks for posting all of your delicious ideas! Smile

Scalloped Vegetable Casserole

6 c. broccoli florets

6 c. cauliflower florets

2 c. sliced carrots

1/2 c. butter

1 c. chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 c. all-purpose flour

1 1/2 c. milk

1 c. sour cream

1- 8 oz. pkg Italian 6 cheese blend, divided

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground pepper

1/2 c. crushed Ritz crackers

Combine vegetables in a large Dutch oven and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over meduim high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 8 min. or until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables and return to Dutch oven.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 qt. baking dish * with cooking spray.

In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes.

In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add sour cream, stirring to combine. Add 1 1/2 c. cheese, salt, and pepper. Add whole mixture to vegetables in Dutch oven, stirring gently to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.

Top casserole with crushed crackers and remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

* I used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. I also used Smart Balance instead of butter and 2% milk. It was still delicious!