Super Contributor

I found this method on YouTube last year. I checked, and it's still there. It's easier to get the idea after watching her video. It's her and dh, and her little boy in the kitchen making the baklava rolled. The measures are what I used for mine.... not all the wording is mine. I don't remember the woman's name, but these are really good and fairly easy to make.

I'll see if I can post a picture of mine, cooling in the pan.

Baklava Rolls

Baklava Syrup:

1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup water
1 orange
Peel and juice the orange
Bring all, orange peel too, to boil. Simmer without stirring for 10 – 15 minutes. COOL COMPLETELY .. I make day before.

For the Baklava you’ll need:

1 pastry brush
9 x 13" Metal Baking Pan, 1 rolling stick - about 3/4" in diameter. You can get one in a building box store, cut it in half, sand, wash and oil it.

Baklava Ingredients:

1-1 lb package phyllo pastry, 1 1/2 stick butter, 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil and mix it.
***VERY Finely*** chopped nuts - your choice of unsalted walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews or shelled pistachios.

Directions:

Melt the butter and mix with oil, or just use veg oil. Spread it over the phyllo pastry using the pastry brush. Spread about a tablespoon of nuts, maybe a little more. I just scatter some over it. Roll onto the rolling stick. Spread oil/butter over a second layer of phyllo pastry. Roll the first roll inside the second layer. Squish it together on the stick and slide it off into the baking pan, tucking the ends in. You can use 4 or 6 sheets/layers per roll. It's not a big deal really. Repeat this process until all phyllo pastry is used. If you're left with one sheet at the end, cut it in half so that you can still get two layers. Once the phyllo is finished and your pan is full, spread the "clearest" part of the butter mixture over the top again using the pastry brush. You do not need to finish all of the butter/oil mixture. Bake at 350F for anywhere from 30-45 minutes, depending on the type of oven you use (convection is faster) and the pan (glass pans have a tendency to burn the bottom). It should be evenly brown and crispy on both the top and bottom.
I like using an old metal pan because you need a sharp knife to cut it!!

Use 2 sheets at a time if that's easier.
1 cup chopped pecans, fine
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Use sparingly on each layer. Too much is not good.
I think it's a little easier to cut the slices before baking. It doesn't crumble as bad this way.

Bake 350 20 – 25 minutes depending on your oven

Cut baklava into your chosen pieces.
Pour cool syrup over hot rolls and sit at least 1 hour to draw in the syrup..
I set it uncovered at least the first 24 hours.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~