Regular Contributor

Tamale Casserole and Pumpkin Chili

I was just going through some recipes and found these two faves of mien that I love to make during colder weather. They both really go over big!

They are actually Weight Watchers Recipes and delicious. The Pumpkin Chili sounds weird but it's high in fiber and really really tasty and filling for very few calories and fat. With cornbread and a salad it's a really good dinner on a cold night. The Tamale Casserole is fantastic. Everyone who tries it loves it and it's super easy too.

Tamale Casserole

Ingredients

1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided ( I USE REDUCED FAT mex cheese blend and this affects the nutritional info listed, this nutritional info given is based on full fat cheese, reduced fat is every bit as good and melts well it's no fat stuff that I hate)
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup egg substitute (I used 2 egg whites)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Martha White, I use jiffy)
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
Cooking spray
1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (see notes)
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream (I like RF, I hate no fat daily products)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. (It took way longer to set for me, like 30 min at least) Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.

Nutritional Information
Calories:354 (36% from fat)
Fat:14.1g (sat 7.1g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.2g) (lower fat with reduced fat cheese)
Fiber:2.5g

NOTES:
I used one pound of chicken breast. I cooked a small minced onion first and then added chicken breast. I addded about 2 Tbl water too. I seasoned it with some smoked paprika, salt, pepper and penzey's adobo seasoning. I let it cool for 10 min and then I shredded it. I am up north so I used jiffy corn muffin mix.

Red's Famous Pumpkin Chili
Serves 6

1 lb lean ground beef
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
1/2 cup chopped sweet white onion
1 tbsp chili power
1 tbsp cumin
Garlic to taste
Oregano to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cans(16 oz each) diced stewed tomatoes (undrained)
1 can (16 oz) dark red kidney beans (undrained)

Cook beef with oinion ( I also added lots of garlic)until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pumpkin,and spices. ( I added some chipotle chilis and more spices, as little dash of cinnamon makes it) Simmer 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 more minutes.

**Note - you may need to add a little water if too thick, it will be extremely thick. This tastes even better the next day. This has a creamy texture and tastes richer than it is.