Weekend Preview
35 Members and 8687 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Easter Ham

Started 1301064662.717 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1301418754.47 by BLH

Easter is approaching and I always make a ham for dinner. I thought I would give a shout out to you all to find out how you make your ham.

What is your favorite ham recipe? Do you like the Butt or Shank cut? Have you ever made it in a Pressure Cooker, if so, what do you add to the ham?

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

Page 1 of 1
SilverSue1301068005.243186 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010SW PA

I usually do the basic baked ham then switch out the glaze and side dishes.

This year I'm going to try a new recipe for a strawberry glaze. Even though

I like to experiment with lots of different dishes my family has favorites and

are disappointed if they're not on the menu. Scalloped potatoes and/or potato

or macaroni salad or cabbage relish. Creamed peas or green beans, asparagus

are usually around also. Also a lime jello salad.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday

Sue

Beebee21301069704.913941 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

Actuially I've become a convert to Costco's spiral sliced ham which only needs warming. It is just so good.

And then every year I have to repeat the story about the young woman who was fixing her first Easter ham. She asked her husband to cut off the bone end and when he asked, "why?", she said, "because that's the way my mom always does it".

So, then hubby said she should ask her mother why she did it that way. She called mom and said, "Mom, why do you always cut off the bone end of the ham?"

Mom replied, "well, it's the way my mother taught me." I'll ask her.

Mom calls grandmother and asks, "Mom, why did you always cut off the bone end of the ham?"

Grandmother replied: "It's the only way it would fit in the pan."

I know. I know. Nearly everyone has heard this story, but I get a kick out of it and like to tell it during 'ham' season just in case someone else hasn't heard it yet. It's become a kind of touchstone in our family because we have similar scenarios when our kids are asked why they do things certain ways.

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

DiAnne1301092870.0775745 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

We are having wild salmon for Easter dinner but I also love the spiral cut ham at Costco. Buy it then you can concentrate on the side dishes!

Shopping G­aGa1301100521.313341 PostsRegistered 2/10/2010

I do something really weird with my ham. I got the recipe from a friend who owned a catering business.

Here goes! 8 qt stockpot. Add 3/4 cup sugar, and 3/4 cup vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar Add 2 cups of water and turn on heat to dissolve sugar. Add the ham and enough water to cover ham. Simmer the ham for 1hr. ONLY ONE HOUR. Remove ham immediately.

Serve hot or cold. Yes the recipe is weird but it is delicious.

PS. If the ham is too large for the pot...rotate it after 1/2 hr.

alicedee1301100963.777755 PostsRegistered 7/25/2010

We usually purchase a spiral cut ham as well. It just needs to be heated. Our adult kids always take home leftovers!!

B-Anne1301103246.54320 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011

My former husband's family (now deceased) had an Easter Sunday breakfast that I never heard about before or since, that they called "shay-gan". It consisted of ham, fresh horseradish, hard boiled eggs, rye bread and coffee. There was also poppy seed and almond cakes and I don't remember anything else.

Does anyone else know of a breakfast similar to this? My MIL was either Polish, Hungarian or similar. This was only on Easter.

I have carried on the tradition for my own children over the years, even though I don't know how it began. It sounds very similar to Passover, though I don't know how that holiday is observed (being Irish Catholic)!!

I would love to know if anyone can shed some light on this Easter Sunday breakfast as I now have grands and 1 new great grand that I would love to share a tradition with from their grandfather's side of the family!

LilBitMiss­ty1301108985.876006 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

chicagoan..hi my friend. One of my all-time favs is a recipe I posted over a year ago..For Baked Ham with Cherry Sauce....

Baked Ham With Cherry Sauce

1 8-10 pound canned ham

2 10 OZ. jars apple jelly

2 Tablespoons prepared mustard

2/3 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup dry white wine (I use apple juice)

2 21 OZ. cans cherry pie filling

1 cup white raisins

Place ham on rack in shallow pan. Bake according to can directions. Remove from pan 30 minutes before baking time is up. Score top of ham in diamond shapes. Combine jelly and mustard in small saucepan. Stir in pineapple juice and wine. Cook while stirring til boiling. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Pour 1/3 of the glaze over the ham. Return ham to oven. Spoon the remaining glaze in 10 minute intervals. Bring the cherry pie filling and the raisins to a boiling point. Stir occasionally. Remove ham and place on serving platter. Add the glaze from the baking pan to the cherry sauce. Bring to a boil then spoon over ham. Pass remaining sauce.

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

violann1301144489.01312717 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

I am a late convert to spiral cut ham, and really, even after doing the traditional roasted ham for years, we've never had a spiral cut that wasn't THE BEST.

I do want to see if I can find one this year that's reduced sodium. Someone had posted Trader Joe's and I plan to make a pilgrimage there this week. None of my family need the amount of salt in the typical supermarket hams, and I actually think the reduced salt tastes better anyway.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

mayhummer1301227843.04267 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006

I do something really weird with my ham. I got the recipe from a friend who owned a catering business.

Here goes! 8 qt stockpot. Add 3/4 cup sugar, and 3/4 cup vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar Add 2 cups of water and turn on heat to dissolve sugar. Add the ham and enough water to cover ham. Simmer the ham for 1hr. ONLY ONE HOUR. Remove ham immediately.

Serve hot or cold. Yes the recipe is weird but it is delicious.

PS. If the ham is too large for the pot...rotate it after 1/2 hr.

ShoppingGaGa- Do you use a fresh ham? Do you add anything else to the ham after it is cooked? TIA

Chuckr1301348046.1031162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area

FWIW,

Since no one has posted "portion-preference",

I always buy the shank-half... Smile

GoodStuff1301348350.7915154 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Haven't had an Easter ham in years! We usually marinade a butterflied leg of lamb in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, onions, and other Mediterranean seasonings and then grill it outdoors. Best thing ever! I serve it with boiled red potatoes, fresh spring asparagus, hot crusty bread, and a big Greek salad. My family demands the grilled lamb every year now!

MaryV1301348418.837993 PostsRegistered 9/24/2007Boston

Going with the spiral cut ham, I saw a peanut butter glaze in a Paula Deen cookbook, it looked interesting. Anyone ever try that one?

Integrity is everything....

Knit-Chick1301358544.75830 PostsRegistered 12/29/2007Northeast Ohio
On 3/25/2011 Beebee2 said:

Actuially I've become a convert to Costco's spiral sliced ham which only needs warming. It is just so good.

And then every year I have to repeat the story about the young woman who was fixing her first Easter ham. She asked her husband to cut off the bone end and when he asked, "why?", she said, "because that's the way my mom always does it".

So, then hubby said she should ask her mother why she did it that way. She called mom and said, "Mom, why do you always cut off the bone end of the ham?"

Mom replied, "well, it's the way my mother taught me." I'll ask her.

Mom calls grandmother and asks, "Mom, why did you always cut off the bone end of the ham?"

Grandmother replied: "It's the only way it would fit in the pan."

I know. I know. Nearly everyone has heard this story, but I get a kick out of it and like to tell it during 'ham' season just in case someone else hasn't heard it yet. It's become a kind of touchstone in our family because we have similar scenarios when our kids are asked why they do things certain ways.

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

Cute story, Beebee - I've never heard that!

I like a spiral cut ham too... I always get so nervous about warming it up. I'm worried I'll heat it too much and dry it out. The past few years we've purchased Aldi's spriral ham and have been very happy with it.

Chicagoan1301414544.022681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND

Thanks everyone for sharing.... My sil bought a spiral shank ham for Christmas at Aldi's and she just wrapped it in foil and baked it. It was delicious. So I am going to buy one from Aldi's this year. I have always bought a Cook's Butt Ham, and sometimes it is hit or miss.

Robin ....

ProudMa1301416108.457347 PostsRegistered 2/1/2010

I have discovered the simpliest, sure fire way to a perfect ham every year. Only need 4 ingredients, Ham-shank end please, a sharp knife, stab it all over the cut end of the ham, then on the rind end, a pan that will fit the ham cut side down, and your favorite Beer. The honey brewed ones are the best. Pour the beer (one bottle to start) all over the ham. Place in 325 oven. I baste every 15-20 minutes, and lift the ham to allow the beer to hit the cut down side. The slits and heat pull the beer into the ham. And your house smells wonderful!! Cook till warmed thru. Don't discard the juices, they are great!!

Chicagoan1301416620.3172681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 3/29/2011 ProudMa said:

I have discovered the simpliest, sure fire way to a perfect ham every year. Only need 4 ingredients, Ham-shank end please, a sharp knife, stab it all over the cut end of the ham, then on the rind end, a pan that will fit the ham cut side down, and your favorite Beer. The honey brewed ones are the best. Pour the beer (one bottle to start) all over the ham. Place in 325 oven. I baste every 15-20 minutes, and lift the ham to allow the beer to hit the cut down side. The slits and heat pull the beer into the ham. And your house smells wonderful!! Cook till warmed thru. Don't discard the juices, they are great!!

This sounds wonderful! I make my ribs in the pressure cooker with a bottle of beer and it is awesome. Now the wheels are turning... I am going to try your recipe in the pressure cooker, I bet the beer and pressure will make the ham amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited on 3/29/2011

Last edited on 3/29/2011

Last edited on 3/29/2011

Last edited on 3/29/2011

Robin ....

Nascardiva1301416929.046563 PostsRegistered 6/27/2005Maryland

I prefer butt over shank, and I usually bake it or grill it.

I'm a true redhead - with the color comes the temper.
Beauty gets the attention but personality gets the heart.

BLH1301418754.441555 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I only buy fully cooked spiral cut half ham from my local grocery store. Just heat and serve. Delicious{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 1