Respected Contributor

I've been looking into detoxing bath and foot baths to help with my inflammation and pain from my fibromyalgia and arthritis in my joints. I've done 1c epsom salt and 1c baking soda. I have been reading that one rounded tablespoon of ginger will make you sweat more like a sauna. I have also read using 1-2c apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide are also great for pulling out toxins. I also starting dry brushing before my baths. I am heading to Sams club tomorrow to buy larger packages of baking soda, epsom salt, and apple cider viengar.

Frequent Contributor

Re: How do you do a detox bath?

It sounds like you have a great foundation of what is needed already! :-) I found this on Pintrist, hope it is helpful. http://bembu.com/detox-bath-recipes Sorry it's not a live link, I can never get that to work from my phone.
~Smile when the butterfly escapes the killing jar.~
Respected Contributor

Thanks. That gives me loads of ideas!

Trusted Contributor

I think the dry brushing helps a lot. I've been doing it for over a year now when I started a detox. I used to think that it would be very irritating, but when I started it actually feels good.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

You're off to a great start!

Detox is nothing to fool with. If you have health ailments once you begin to detox you can feel worse before you feel better. It's like the little buggies dying off in your system. They're not going to go quietly.

I take epsom salts baths 2-3 nights a week to soak sore joints from an auto immune disorder. Keep your body hydrated after your bath by drinking plenty of water. Add other ingredients slowly. Some can backfire and you won't know what the culprit is if you add too much at once.

Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Snowpuppy said:

Detox is nothing to fool with. If you have health ailments once you begin to detox you can feel worse before you feel better. It's like the little buggies dying off in your system. They're not going to go quietly.

I take epsom salts baths 2-3 nights a week to soak sore joints from an auto immune disorder. Keep your body hydrated after your bath by drinking plenty of water. Add other ingredients slowly. Some can backfire and you won't know what the culprit is if you add too much at once.

I try to do this about once a week but the last time I did, I was as weak as a dishrag! I use the Epsom salt with either lavender or eucalyptus and spearmint. Snowpuppy, do you think it gets better the more you do it and your body gets used to it? I am hydrated.
Respected Contributor

Well, I just got out of a detox bath with a cup of epsom salts, a cup of baking soda and a rounded tablespoon of ginger. I finished reading a book while I was in there, so the water was stone cold when I went to shower. I'm not sweating like people say ginger baths cause, but I did take a hot bath, so time will tell. I don't smell like ginger, so that is good. I am also relaxed, so that is also great!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Reba055 said:
On 3/27/2015 Snowpuppy said:

I try to do this about once a week but the last time I did, I was as weak as a dishrag! I use the Epsom salt with either lavender or eucalyptus and spearmint. Snowpuppy, do you think it gets better the more you do it and your body gets used to it? I am hydrated.

Adding lavender will increase the relaxation benefit of epsom salts. Great if you're heading for bed but it may be too much if you're just starting out.

Eliminate the lavender at first and just try 1 cup of plain epsom salts as you begin. Epsom salts are magnesium so it may also help your colon with a "smooth move" the next day.

Eucalyptus and spearmint tend to energize rather than soothe. They will also help sinus congestion.

Learn about something called a Herx reaction. You can get this from taking antibiotics as well. Viruses and bacteria in your system can give off toxins as they die off and you may feel sicker or sluggish at first. This will slow down and eventually stop as you get healthier.

Valued Contributor

A couple yrs ago i bought a 60lb bag of seasalts online and use 2 cups per tub when i feel i need it...Soak for 20 min. I read you want warm water verses hot..I guess it helps to draw toxins out better.

Frequent Contributor

You just described my normal bath. I don't use as high amounts of Epsom salt and I tend to mix it with dead sea salts with around 8 drops of essential oils added. Been the routine for the past couple years now at least. Cypress oil is a mainstay in any bath for me and I believe it is also supposed to draw out toxins. I either have a cup of tea or water along side the bath or I would feel weak or dizzy after about 30 minutes without the rehydration.

I'm not following you Midnight, promise. We seem to have similar loves with our routines.