Regular Contributor

State legislatures are outlawing the use of microbeads in cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

Curious what this will do to the lineup of cosmetics products on the Q since many exfoliators and scrubs contain them. Anyone following this topic?

Valued Contributor

Re: State legislatures are outlawing the use of microbeads in cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

I hate anything that can ruin our environment. The microbeads are plastic and when getting into the water supply, that's bad.

Regular Contributor

Re: State legislatures are outlawing the use of microbeads in cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

What is their reasoning for the legislation?

Valued Contributor

Isomers is in Canada and they changed there scrubs last yr..I dont like what they are using now in the facial cleanser.

Regular Contributor

On 3/27/2015 acim said:

Ruining our environment, harming animals, and I think something about water supply.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 JoEllad said:
On 3/27/2015 acim said:

Ruining our environment, harming animals, and I think something about water supply.

Yes they are getting into the water supply and finding their way into lakes and streams. Fish mistake them for food and eat them.

A key problem is that these tiny pieces of plastic, also called "polyethylene microspheres," are less than a millimeter across – so small that sewage treatment plants can't process them out of waste water. The size of fish eggs, the microbeads are virtually indestructible and are mistaken for food by many marine organisms. When eaten, they can damage fish and creatures like coral, and work their way up through the eco-system.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I actually am moving away from this stuff myself as I finish things up. Trying to be more mindful in what I use. I am glad to hear this, it can make a big difference.
Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 MidNight said:

Isomers is in Canada and they changed there scrubs last yr..I dont like what they are using now in the facial cleanser.

I was not aware of this. Did they replace the microbeads?

Valued Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Crisso said:

Yes they have something natural now and it is not as effective as the other was..I am all for getting rid of the microbeads but find something else as effective..I think if they even added more to the cleanser it might work better.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Crisso said:

Yes they have something natural now and it is not as effective as the other was..I am all for getting rid of the microbeads but find something else as effective..I think if they even added more to the cleanser it might work better.

Thanks, MidNight. I will check it out.