Super Contributor

I use a variety of good lip moisturizers/balms night and day, but lately my lips feel chapped and almost swollen. I don't have a fever blister, but it feels like that. I like in southern California warmth, so it's not cold weather causing it! It's like I have had some hot spicy food and it's chapped my lips. Any ideas?

Regular Contributor
Are you wearing a shiny lip gloss? Your lips can get burned wearing gloss. And living in SOCAL with the warmer weather can cause this. Blistex has a balm in a lighter green tube is really moisturizing
Super Contributor

bag balm will help heal them. Could they be sun or wind burned. Maybe try a lip product with spf.

Trusted Contributor

Lip balm wise, the best one I've tried to date is La Mer's but it is pricey. I also like Caudalie's lip balm which costs about $12. It doesn't have as much staying power so it has to be put on pretty often but I've seen improvement when I use it.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

Lip Chap Queen here! When driving, I apply J&J Waterbabies Sunscreen stick and this really seems to help. It is in the side partition of the car, so I often forget to apply this every day. Fluorescent lights emit UV rays, and so chapping can occur if you are in an office all day.

For lip glosses, here are my choices: Stila Lip LUXE... color "Kitten" is my favorite, but the Sunlight one is OK. The "LUXE" formula really takes care of the flaky, dry, cracked skin. The "silk" formula is lighter, but it is gone in a NYMINUTE on my lips. Clinique gloss is good, too, and I have not tried all of the formulas (LOL)... I have not had luck with the "crayon" ones. Also, NYX is a great formula -- very moisturizing; also does not last long on my lips. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Do you ever use lip products that have peppermint as one of the ingredients? I know peppermint can cause lips to become chapped or irritated with some people. I've noticed that has happened to me on occasion when I've used a lip shine that had peppermint. Not sure if that's what happened in your case, but just wanted to mention it.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Trusted Contributor
I've had luck with La Mer, Aquaphor and Burt's Bees mango butter lip balm.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

p.s. My favorite lip product is Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. It's offered in clear, as well as many tinted options. LOVE!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Sounds like contact dermatitis to me. Stop using whatever you're using and switch to something more natural like coconut oil or olive oil and see if it goes away. Some have also seen this with a reaction to toothpaste.

Regular Contributor

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water!

Product-wise, I swear by Fresh Sugar. The tinted ones have an SPF. The treatment one does not, and I use this one at bedtime or when I'm staying indoors.