Super Contributor

My husband hurt my feelings. Loose skin comment

I lost 60 lbs. I'm 5'3 140 lbs. My daughter told me I look frail and I shouldn't lose any more weight. I think I need to lose about 10 more lbs or so. I still have fat especially on my belly and inner thighs. My husband said the reason she said you look frail is your lack of muscle tone that your skin hangs. He said I don't mean to rag you but it looks like your bones are seen and that the skin hangs. That made me feel great! He then added I'm sure it will firm up over time. I know I have excess skin. I can't exercise much due to my back and neck problems. I am 48. I want to get firm and trying but when he said that I felt hurt. I'm not giving up!
Respected Contributor

Re: My husband hurt my feelings. Loose skin comment

You are most likely not "too thin," based upon your height and weight. Be proud of yourself, and don't let his inconsiderate comments get you down. You've done a great job. Keep up the good work!!
Super Contributor

I obviously know nothing of your DH, but if you are in a loving marriage and he is a good guy, he probably meant no harm. Men can just say dump things and he mayknow very little about such thing about our bodies (he isn't a trainer or o b/gyn is he?) CONGRATS on the weight loss--that is the important thing. The skin thing is going to be tough though, sorry to be brutally honest, even increasing muscles mass may not help much. Remember, women are SUPPOSED to have fat on tummys and thight, we make more humans!! It doesn't just magically disappear after the 'child bearing years.' You need some fat dear. I would be happy for what I have achieved if I were you and focus on weight-bearing exercise-there are things that you can do even with mentioned injuries. Best wishes, ~smiles, SnowKita
Respected Contributor

OP--Be proud of yourself! Now I would suggest you get into strength training. Get a personal trainer to set up a program for you and then use the weights and machines on your own. No joke, it does wonders. And if nothing else, you can punch out the headlights on these naysayers. (BTW, they can program around the neck and back problems). Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

OP ..... While there are skin firming body lotions that help a little, I'm sure you need more. If you have physical limitations, then either have your MD write you a prescription for some physical therapy and have them put together an exercise program for you ..... or take a few Pilates classes.

Pilates may be the way to go .... it was devised for ballet dancers who'd been injured and needed to get strong again. Personally, I love it.

Hope this helps. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Tink

Super Contributor

Firestripes, congratulations on losing 60 pounds, that is a HUGE accomplishment, and I hope you've taken a moment to relish it. I'm sorry that your husband hurt your feelings. Men are not always as sensitive as they could be. Do what you can, take care of your skin, and give your body some time. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Thanks ladies! I have severe sciatica, cervical stenosis. I will look into physical therapy, Pilates.
Super Contributor

OP, congratulations on what must have been a journey of spirit, determination and perseverance. Own that strength.

All of the above posters have offered excellent advice and here is my two cents...

Try swimming. It is wonderfully stress free for joint issues, and can give you increased stamina for the other exercise programs you might start. Great for core.

Good luck, and it may just be that hubby loves you to pieces but is anxious about the changes you have made. People can become anxious when we change in a significant way.

Keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

Tell your DH to get a mirror, lean over it, and look at his skin, I doubt he would like what he saw.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Krissie2 said: Firestripes, congratulations on losing 60 pounds, that is a HUGE accomplishment, and I hope you've taken a moment to relish it. I'm sorry that your husband hurt your feelings. Men are not always as sensitive as they could be. Do what you can, take care of your skin, and give your body some time. Smiley Happy

ITA. We love them, but men can be real clods sometimes.

firestripes, some of that loose skin is not going to go away, no matter what you do. I know it's troublesome, but a little loose skin is so much better than carrying the extra pounds instead.

Good job girl, be proud of yourself.Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines