Regular Contributor

Did you hear the use AHAs accelerates skin aging?

New research findings show that the use of Alpha Hydroxy Acids increases, rather than halts, skin aging.

The European Commission has stated that skincare products containing AHAs sold in Europe will include warning labels.

I heard Linda Marshall of Elysee say she pulled this ingredient from all of her products. She refuses to include it after this latest information.

Respected Contributor

Re: Did you hear the use AHAs accelerates skin aging?

I know I had to stop using it. I asked my family doctor what was the matter with my facial skin all of a sudden and he asked if I was using an AHA, I said yes. His sister is a derm doc and doesn't recommend this. This was about 6 months ago though for me and my face has improved since I stopped using this.

I think Linda Marshall of Elysee is an honest person and trust her judgment when it comes to skin care as well as my family doctor since he gets all his info from his sister and is how I decide what I want to use and not use, by him.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are not the right candidate (probably more by age than by anything) for using AHAs, then I do not think they are a good thing. But then neither are other ingredients that hastens the top skin cell's turnover. I know there are different schools of thought on AHAs, et. al.

I did catch a little of what LM was saying yesterday regarding them, and in one thread I defended my own personal use.

I never hold to any aggressive use of anything, except in extreme cases of acne or other skin injury. So many times I have read where women on this BB go overboard with their high percentage peels and treatments as a course of caring for their skin, which I absolutely do not ascribe to.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I read it in Dr. Lance Setterfield's book on dermal needling.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Occasional Contributor

What is AHA? just curious after hearin the comment

Regular Contributor

Glycolic acid.
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 ohio gal said:

AHA stands for Alpha Hydroxy Acid.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Is that what is in Dr. Denese Facial Firming Pads?
Esteemed Contributor

No, I haven't heard this - guess I'd better do some research. I'd always heard (mostly from this board) that any product that accelerated cell turnover was a good thing. It's not????

The only AHA I use is a retinol cream - and I've used it every night for over 10 years. My 66-yr-old skin looks pretty good except it's been extremely dry and flakey recently -- which is expected for winter.

Hmmmm..... so if AHA's are bad, what's good? What should we be using instead?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 BeautyAddiction said:
On 3/2/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Is that what is in Dr. Denese Facial Firming Pads?

Yes, she uses a 10% glycolic acid in them. AHA's are very common in many skincare products and recommended by many dermatologists. The purpose of AHA's is to undo the "glue" that holds dead skin cells to the surface of the face, allowing for new skin to emerge.