Super Contributor

Any suggestions for eliminating bedhead?

Every morning I wake up with a cowlick of sorts on the crown of my head. This is not there when I freshly wash and dry my hair only after I have slept on it. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get my hair to lay down rather than like parting the red sea?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for eliminating bedhead?

You should see what my ""bed head"" looks like ... every hair is bent out of shape.

I have rather short hair (pixie-ish) ... have to wash my hair every morning.

Not a problem for me ... I'm retired and have leisurely mornings.

Honored Contributor

Most people only get the best hair right after washing and dry/style or whatever they do. For best results, I wash hair in the a.m. always have. After sleeping on it, it is bound to have bad effects.

Esteemed Contributor

Well this has been a burning question in my mind lately. I want my shower at night and I don't want 2 showers a day so the bed head thing is a problem.

I haven't found a solution yet, but I did order a couple of terry cloth turbans from Amazon the other day, hoping wearing something like that would help keep my hair from getting so messy and knotted up.

I had bought some kind of head scarf type thing at Walmart, but it is made out of polyester and it slides right off my head during the night, so no help there. I'm hoping the terry will not be so slippery. My package is out for delivery, so we will soon find out.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Regular Contributor

All my life I had to wash my hair every morning. I had awful bedhead and by late afternoon my hair started to look oily if I didn't wash it. Now that I'm older and my scalp is dryer I can go a couple of days between washes. What's saved me on the non-wash days is the Calista Tools Perfector. It works at smoothing out my hair and I can even add a bit of curl on the ends. So far its the best tool I've found for my second day unwashed hair. I also find that some of the better shampoos help to keep the bedhead away. Currently I like the Alterna Caviar line. My hair is much smoother in the morning when I use it.

Esteemed Contributor

Me, too, I want a shower at night, but I always wash my hair in the mornings when I wash it. I hate washing my hair in the shower anyway. So I kneel on the tub and hang my head over the faucet.

Anyway...if I do not wash my hair, a lot of times I will take a dollop of aloe vera gel and a couple drops of whatever oil and flip my head over and massage that in to loosen things up. I don't get cowlicks because I have shoulder length hair.

Afterward, I either set with Caruso or now with the Calista long rollers.

Voila!

Honored Contributor

Shaving works

Honored Contributor

There are sleep scarves and sleep caps at Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if a satin pillow case would work? I do use one, but I wear my hair pineapple style due to natural curls and so don't get the dreaded bed head look.

Respected Contributor

I wash at night and let it air dry. I have to flat iron in the morning anyway, so why blow dry then flat iron. If you don't want to do that, you can dampen that area and just blow dry it. You can also get volume by partial blow drying it, putting in a velcro roller, and finish drying. That way you get the cow lick out, volume, and it is quick since it is only damp and not wet. That is why blow drying in the salon doesn't take so long since when they wet cut it, they just dampen it anyway.