Esteemed Contributor

The Styling Creams are supposed to take the place of a leave-in. For those with very dry hair do you mix the two? Add the SC over top of the leave-in? Use something else?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I don't think they take the place of the leave-in--never heard Chaz say that (not saying he didn't---I just have never heard that anywhere)...styling creams are also a heat protectant. I either mix it with my leave-in CC or layer it over the top. And I don't have particularly dry hair.

Respected Contributor

This may be TMI but before I moved into my current pre-menopausal stage my hair was 3B on the curl scale and very (very) dry. In those days I used two pumps of leave-in AND a pump of styling cream and my hair loved it This combo is what made me fall in love with WEN.

Over the last two years, my curls have changed from 3B to 3A and my hair is no longer super dry -- but it still loves moisture. I now find that using leave-in is what the doctor ordered. Adding styling cream seems to weigh my hair down. Instead I use TIGI 'After Party' for just the right amount of moisture and protection.

Esteemed Contributor

Vermint, thanks for the response. I read that in the description of the styling cream.

I've very hesitant to go leave-in free. As it is, I have to use more than double the recommended amount of pumps for my leave-in. My hair is that dry.

I think I'll hold off on the SC and work my way through some of these silicone serums that are growing.

Honored Contributor

I have very dry curls that are getting better. I always do the leave in (usually Fig) and then my styling cream mixed with the glossing serum and a few spritzes of the RTM. When my hair dries a little bit, I hit it with the VTS to hold the curls and it has worked pretty well for me. Still not model hair but I'm getting better at it as I go.

Honored Contributor
On 11/18/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Vermint, thanks for the response. I read that in the description of the styling cream.

I've very hesitant to go leave-in free. As it is, I have to use more than double the recommended amount of pumps for my leave-in. My hair is that dry.

I think I'll hold off on the SC and work my way through some of these silicone serums that are growing.

I used to load up my hair with leave in and even the remoist and then lots of pumps of the glossing serum because it was so dry. I have to say that since I backed off of that and just started mixing more things into the SC, I got better results believe it or not.

Respected Contributor

Ah, OK...I've never actually read the description, lol! I think you've said you don't heat style or blow dry, right? If I didn't blow dry, I would probably skip the SC myself.

Respected Contributor
On 11/18/2014 Laura14 said:

I used to load up my hair with leave in and even the remoist and then lots of pumps of the glossing serum because it was so dry. I have to say that since I backed off of that and just started mixing more things into the SC, I got better results believe it or not.

I also have good results just using the SC for styling my hair. Not sure that I need to use much of the cc as a leave-in.

Honored Contributor

No, Chaz uses both. He adds the leave-in, then puts the styling cream in his hand, sprays it with the volumizing treatment mist, then adds that to the hair over the leave-in. You can watch him in the demo from any 2-hour show.

I don't like the styling cream and stopped using it. It didn't prevent frizz or offer hold on my wavy/curly hair, no matter if I used 2 pumps or 5, added the VTS or not. I went through 4 bottles before I found something more effective, so I think that's more than a fair shot.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/18/2014 islandgrrl said:

This may be TMI but before I moved into my current pre-menopausal stage my hair was 3B on the curl scale and very (very) dry. In those days I used two pumps of leave-in AND a pump of styling cream and my hair loved it This combo is what made me fall in love with WEN.

Over the last two years, my curls have changed from 3B to 3A and my hair is no longer super dry -- but it still loves moisture. I now find that using leave-in is what the doctor ordered. Adding styling cream seems to weigh my hair down. Instead I use TIGI 'After Party' for just the right amount of moisture and protection.

I keep forgetting about TIGI After Party! You mentioned that a while ago.

2 pumps of leave-in + almost 1 pump of SC was great before I cut my hair. I have to play around with it now.