Contributor

Suggestions to help Nails after acrylic

My nails breaks and peel normally but I did acrylic for my DD's wedding. Now that they are off my nails are so thin, have ridges and are peeling terribly. Any suggestions for any topical treatments that might help? I know from research Biotin may help but it will take at least 3 mos. i would like to get something that might help a little quicker. I haven't seen TIPS shown on QVC lately but another product that claims to help especially after removing acrylic but I can't recall the name. It claims to give you a beautiful french looking manicure and make nails stronger so you do not have to do acrylics to have pretty nails. Any suggestions welcomed? Thanks!
Contributor

Re: Suggestions to help Nails after acrylic

The other product I've seen on the Q is Perfect Formula
Honored Contributor

Try a nail product called Nailtiques. It comes in a few different formulas and I think there is one for your issue. It is a polish that you apply and it is clear . Try googling it to see what its about. I got mine from Ulta but have seen it in Walgreens too. My nails are so awful from going thru chemo a couple years ago but when I use this, it helps alot. Then maybe try a brush on formula like TIPS too. And the biotin also helps but that takes months. Also a liquid that contains calcium helps too. I used one from HSN in a nail kit they had that worked well. Thats been a few years ago so don't know if they still have it. Wear rubber gloves whenever you put your hands in water too. And just be patient. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Frequent Contributor

Here's another vote for Nailtiques! I've been in your shoes more times than I care to admit, and Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus is the only thing that has really helped. It is not easy to find, but Ulta does carry it and you can also order it directly from the Nailtiques website. Use it without colored polish daily for a period of six weeks. I guarantee you…your nails will get better. And this is coming from someone with nails so weak, they make the jaws of the most seasoned nail techs drop.

Honored Contributor

I wore fake nails for a period of time, but less than a year. I believe it was the worst thing I ever did. And, yes, my natural nails were paper thin when I first had the fakes removed. You can use a product like Nailtiques, but I also recommend keeping them trimmed short until the entire nail is replaced. Taking Lessman's HHSN, I believe, has helped them to grow faster and a bit stronger, but they haven't completely returned my nails to virgin status. I still have ridges and can't grow my nails long, but some of that may have to do with age, too.

Super Contributor

I've never had acrylics, but my nails have peeled. I tried the Nailtiques Formula 2 and it worked for me. They have an After Artificial Treatment Kit. You're supposed to use it first, before any of the other formulas. I don't know what, if anything, it would do to your nails if you used the Formula 2 (or whichever one) first. But they recommend using the treatment specifically for that.

Contributor

I just went through this myself. I kept them trimmed very short and applied the Perfect Formula gel coat. That helped prevent the peeling and splitting while they grew out. Also kept them looking really nice at the same time.
Honored Contributor

Duri Rejuvacote is guaranteed to repair acrylic damage.

Respected Contributor

I also use the Duri Rejuvacote for some time now. The good thing about it is you don't have to go "colorless." I use it as my base coat, then polish as usual. I also do a oil treatment on my bare nails before I apply anything. I rinse that off with warn water, but they are still feeling moisturized when I apply the Rejuvacote. You just want to be sure to wipe any oily residue away from your nails with a towel before you apply the base coat.

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

I also recommend Duri Rejuvacote. It is an amazing product for nail growth. I buy mine from Amazon in a 3 pack, but I have seen it at Walmart as well.