Frequent Contributor

O/T Tipping at Buffets - Question

When you go out to eat and the service is buffet style, do you tip the same as you do for regular table service? We often go out to brunch or buffet dinners. We see the server maybe twice, once to tell them we are getting the buffet and once to get our check, and sometimes finding someone to do either of these tasks can be difficult. There is usually a person running around with a coffee pot, and if I am lucky I can find someone to get me a soft drink. Many of the buffets have iced tea, tea and hot water and juices out so you can serve yourself. We normally tip 20% or better, but that always feels like too much to me for this kind of service. What does everyone else do?

CeeCee

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Tipping at Buffets - Question

10 percent here.
Honored Contributor

For that kind of service I tip $1-2, no more if that is literally all they do. If I am brought refills of something, an extra fork, or there is a request fulfilled, I would probably throw in another dollar. If they make themselves scarce, I tip accordingly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 moonchilde said:

For that kind of service I tip $1-2, no more if that is literally all they do. If I am brought refills of something, an extra fork, or there is a request fulfilled, I would probably throw in another dollar. If they make themselves scarce, I tip accordingly.

I agree - this situation does not deserve a full tip.

Frequent Contributor

Some additional info, I don't know if it matters or not. These are usually very nice buffets, $30-$40 per person.

They often have someone out cooking individual omelettes and someone else carving meat, like ham, roast beef and/or turkey. I almost feel like I should tip those people more than my "server".

Edited to add: We live in Calgary, Canada, and all servers are at least paid minimum wage, which is $10.25 CDN here, about $9.25 US. So there's no $1.25 an hour plus tips type of wages.

CeeCee

Esteemed Contributor

My girlfriends and I go to elegant, mimosa brunches once a month. I never thought to tip.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 CeeCee said:

Some addition info, I don't know if it matters or not. These are usually very nice buffets, $30-$40 per person.

CeeCee

I still would not leave more than $5 if the service is literally no more than you have stated. If they're keeping champagne topped up, refilling rolls, etc. that is more service than you have indicated.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 CeeCee said:

Some addition info, I don't know if it matters or not. These are usually very nice buffets, $30-$40 per person.

They often have someone out cooking individual omelettes and someone else carving meat, like ham, roast beef and/or turkey. I almost feel like I should tip those people more than my "server".

Edited to add: We live in Calgary, Canada, and all servers are at least paid minimum wage, which is $10.25 CDN here, about $9.25 US. So there's no $1.25 an hour plus tips type of wages.

CeeCee

No wonder restaurants in Alberta are so expensive. I was there in September 2013, and we were astounded at the prices of meals and hotels. It was probably our last trip ever, although I love the place.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I live in Vegas, the home of buffets and here tips are usually $1 or $2 per person and always tip the omelette maker a buck. No tips for the meat carver.
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 september said: 10 percent here.

ITA - This is the recommended amount. We usually round up.