Frequent Contributor

WOuld you use a face cream or lotion from a dollar store. Not a "fancy" dollar store like Dollar Tree but the local 99 cent stores. They actually have the Nivea cream from Germany that everyone raves about but I'm not sure if it is safe to buy anything. What do you all think?

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize there were "fancy" and "plain" dollar stores!!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

To answer your question ...... many of the brand name items that show up there may have expiration dates coming up very soon, so that should be the first thing you check.

Is the Nivea from Germany different than the Nivea we have here in the U.S. ?? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Regular Contributor

At any of the dollar stores-watch out for the toothpaste-some of it is not FDA approved.

Trusted Contributor

I saw a story on the local news that the products sold in the discount stores (Dollar Tree, 99 Cents only stores) are sub par to those sold in the usual brick and mortar stores. They contain different ingredients and are not the same.

Super Contributor

I, too, am curious about whether some 99 cent store products such as toothpaste is up to par. When I look at the toothpaste boxes (such as Colgate), they look and read exactly like the ones say, at Target. Are they the same???? How about toothbrushes? You can get Oral-B toothbrushes so much cheaper. As for face cream, I don't know that I would purchase there, although I might body lotion. I HAVE purchased shampoos (ocassionally you see name brand), but I would be careful about all that stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Never buy food or makeup, toothpaste, cologne --- or anything u put on or in ur body from the Dollar-type stores. Most of the products are made in foreign countries (like China) and they try to make the packaging look like it's American made. They use toxic ingredients -- which are unsafe - below American standards. When u buy from ur local stores, the prices aren't that much more. You also don't know how old the products are. Don't take a chance.

Respected Contributor

I agree with all of the others. It is ok to occasionally shop at a dollar store but their are definitely certain items that you shouldn't buy.

Super Contributor

I'm no snob about buying certain items from The Dollar Store (cleaning supplies, household items, etc). However, I would never buy beauty/personal care items there. JMO.

Honored Contributor

I shop only at the fancy dollar stores.

Frequent Contributor

I would absolutely use it!