Respected Contributor

Anyone been taking Biotin for awhile?

Have you found it losing its effectiveness? I started taking it almost 7 years ago. I never thought it helped my hair that much but it did help my eyelashes and nails. Lately I think it's not helping anymore. My lashes are falling out and sparse again and my nails aren't growing like they were. I used to have to trim them weekly to keep them the short length I like. I take 5 mg by the way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone been taking Biotin for awhile?

I took it for over a year and it never did a thing for me. Try RapidLash for fantastic lashes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i think it helps a lot with my nails, but have not found it to do anything for my hair or eyelashes. i have been using it for over a year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

You might need to take a break from it. Lay off for few months and then start again. I have heard the same thing with Rapid Lash. RL main ingredient is Biotin. The manufacturers of Rapid Lash say after length has been maintained, reduce use to maintenance (3 times a week). Then after maintenance the lashes may fall out. The CS agent said you need to stop use for 3 months. Then start in like a first time user. I would think this would be the same for oral Biotin capsules. I use 5,000 units 3 times a week

Respected Contributor

Interesting - thanks for the info.

Super Contributor

It did and still does make my hair and nails grow like wildfire. It's never made my lashes grow.

Honored Contributor

yOn 10/26/2014 rudy said:

It did and still does make my hair and nails grow like wildfire. It's never made my lashes grow.

I think to grow lashes you need the liquid form, like Rapid Lash. L contains Biotin, pantheonal (sp) and other conditioners. It works!!!. Biotin really helps with skin, nails (especially) and it does help with hair. I am 66 and it gives me tiny hairs that fill in the scalp/ My Mom is 93 and darn near bald! Biotin at 3,000 a day helped her so much her hair stylist made the a positive comment to the growth!! Of course everyone is sooooo different! What works for me, or my Mother might not work for another.

Frequent Contributor

I have taken it for a few years now and don't honestly notice any difference in hair loss. I've even tried different brands and higher strengths, and seem to lose just as much hair now as before I started taking it. Perhaps I'll try just 3x a week.
Occasional Contributor

I have been taking it for years and my hair and nails still grow fast. I went through chemo and kept taking it. My hair and nails (lost most of my nails too) grew back pretty quickly. I get a haircut every four weeks and it could be done sooner. I have to cut my nails back every other week because they grow so fast. They do not make my lashes grow faster, Frannie could you possibly have a health issue. You might want to check with your doctor. Just a thought.

Have a great day.

Liz {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

I have been taking Biotin for many years and afraid to stop taking it. The reason I started was to help my nails. Fortunately, I have always had thick hair so I don't need it for that purpose. As far as my lashes go, I use Latisse and I have the thickest, longest lashes now. The last time that I had lashes like these I was in my 30's.