Occasional Contributor

What do use for the days you don't cleanse when the top of your head looks like an oil spill? Granted, my hair is "in training" - I have washed daily my whole life so this is new for me (& my hair). But it looks sooo dirty at the roots. I am looking for something akin to a dry shampoo that wont erase the progress I am trying to make with the Wen. PS I am using 613

ty

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Days in between cleansing

lol the third day is pony tail day for me....lol

Cannot go any longer than 3 days and that is a stretch only because I'm not going anywhere.If I was going out ,I would have towash my hair either daily or every other day at the most.

Respected Contributor

I cleanse everyday, I do a curly style and it just doesn't look right unless I do it everyday. Besides I am having so much fun using my WEN cc's and seeing the amazing results I look fowd to doing my hair now..Smiley Happy I don't know if the dry shampoo's would un-do your WEN progress, their seem to be a lot of them on the market tho...

Occasional Contributor

ah ok thanks. So Wen doesn't make something for this purpose? Seems like he should!

Contributor

From what I understand, you don't have to wait 2 and 3 days between washing. You can do it as often as you choose whether it be everyday or twice a week. Personally, when I first began using WEN, I washed everyday for a week, just to get me and my hair used to it. Now, I wash every other day...not necessarily because I have to, but primarily because I enjoy washing my hair with WEN.
Respected Contributor

I only need to cleanse 1-2x per week, but my hair never looks or is oily. (Like MalteseMomma, though, days 3+ are typically ponytail or messy bun days!) If the top of your hair looks like an oil slick, I would say you should probably be cleansing it.

Honored Contributor

KatShops - I have moderately thick, fine hair. I was a daily shampooer from way back when, in Jr. High (a VERY long time ago). I could never go out of the house if I didn't do a fresh shampoo every morning. That continued throughout my adult life. If I ever skipped a day it would be because I was sick or sometimes too lazy, in which case I'd put in a ponytail but you could still tall my hair was dirty and greasy. Even when I began with WEN a few years ago, that didn't change, I was cleansing daily. Last year I finally began doing overnight oil treatments on my scalp a few nights a week and that was a game changer for me. The addition of oil treatments actually slowed down the natural oil production. Now I won't say that my hair looks as great on Day 2 as it does when it's freshly done on Day 1, but I CAN leave the house and be OK with it. Sometimes I'll still use a little dry shampoo on the top, but for me, this is a great improvement.

Honored Contributor

If my hair looks oily, I wash it. I use dry shampoo occasionally, but if your hair is oily or dirty, you should just wash it no matter what day it is.

Even before WEN, I would wash every other day, so WEN didn't change that for me. If you're naturally more oily or work out and sweat often, you may just need to wash more often.

There's no "one size fits all" so use it as you need to.

Respected Contributor

Before WEN I shampooed everyday. And that is how I began with WEN. Now I wash every other day. I perk up my style on day two with RTM.

But if your hair is the "oil spill" that you describe, you should definitely cleanse. Your level of oil production will hopefully even out with time -- at least it did for me. I could now go 3 days between cleansing but I don't want to.

Respected Contributor

Katshops, how long have you been using WEN? After using it full-on since March (I think...I started out using it just as a leave-in, then as conditioner after shampoo) I am just in the last month or so starting to skip a day here and there.

It takes some time for your hair/scalp to adjust to this new routine. I was using traditional shampoo every day before WEN.