Trusted Contributor
Sorry in advance for the long post, silly iPad... I love WEN and hope no one thinks I am being a WEN troll but.....for about 10-14 days I have had a lot of scalp irritation and was trying to figure out the cause. I have A LOT of sensitivities to ingredients so any new product is questionable. (I had recently bought a new scent of laundry soap by accident ) and sometimes I develop new sensitivities to products I have used for ages so it can take time to figure out the culprit. I use WEN kids due to a sensitivity to menthol. I bought my first gallon this year! Yesterday I noticed the color of my WEN seemed different so I opened the bottle and took a peek inside. Oh horror!! There was MOLD growing inside! It was growing down one side of the bottle and a large circle of darker mold floating on the top! Well that explains my scalp issues, I have been cleansing with mold. I had to let that one sink in for a bit. GROSS! Luckily I had a bottle of Clear shampoo I had purchased this summer when I was expecting house guests and washed my hair and scalp, repeating about 6 times. Then I got to thinking, what is the shelf life? I know I've had bottles in my stash for over a year with no problems, so I called customer service to ask ( I have the gallon on AD so I wasn't sure I wanted to get the December shipment). I wish I had gotten the reps name because she was so nice. She looked up the shelf life and it is two years and offered to exchange my gallon and to mark it as defective so I will not be charged return shipping. I was definitely not expecting that! I read the forums regularly and have never seen reports of mold before, and yes I keep the bottle out of the shower stream. So, a gross story and great customer service. Has this happened to anyone else?
Super Contributor

Oh man that is awful! But so happy Customer Service was nice and quick to help you out! I bought my first ever gallon in June (Tea Tree) and am loving it. I am going to be looking inside it frequently now to check things out. Surely this new gallon you'll be receiving will be mold-free Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Try dove shampoos and conditioners, they are more mild.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/20/2014 MandySays said:

Oh man that is awful! But so happy Customer Service was nice and quick to help you out! I bought my first ever gallon in June (Tea Tree) and am loving it. I am going to be looking inside it frequently now to check things out. Surely this new gallon you'll be receiving will be mold-free Smiley Happy

I NEVER thought to look inside, so glad I did. I was not expecting customer service to do anything for me, so that was a welcome surprise.
Trusted Contributor
On 10/20/2014 deb5555 said:

Try dove shampoos and conditioners, they are more mild.

Thanks for the suggestion! I also massaged in a crazy amount of tea tree oil
Respected Contributor

So sorry to hear that this happened to you. It sounds like this product was old or defective since Wen should last for a couple of years. I have never ordered a gallon since I like using a variety of formulas. I do try not to overbuy and definitely will be able to use my current supply of Wen cc's within the next 2 years.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor
Darn. Pic did not post.
Super Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Dupe, n/m.