Trusted Contributor

Not much chatter about this TSV. No one excited about it???

Respected Contributor
I always check out Paula's Choice before I make my decision when buying skin care. Her reviews of these products were less than stellar. The questions introduced about DMAE being damaging helped me to make a decision to pass. When the good doc publishes some peer reviewed studies, then I might reconsider.
Valued Contributor
I just buy Paula's Choice. I've never been tempted to spend big bucks on Perricone. Getting old and aging is a gift. We can't stop it. There is no point in spending that kind of money IMO. For $200 you can get a lot products from PC and you'd get free shipping too. I also believe I read Paula does not believe we need a separate treatment for our eyes. Oops I didn't realize this was in the Perricone section. We all have our things we spend our money on. Smiley Wink. I don't bash Perricone or anyone who buys it but I would appreciate it if he would come on qvc himself since he is a doctor and he created these products.
Trusted Contributor
I am one who has learned to look beyond Paula for unbiased ingredient information, because I've found that there are errors and omissions @ beautipedia.com. An example can be found in Paula's Ingredient Dictionary for the ingredient DMAE. It states, " Small-scale studies of topical application to human and animal skin showed an increase in dermal thickness after seven days, but that’s hardly conclusive or indicative of what may happen with long-term use. DMAE is also known to induce skin cell death and to reduce the proliferation of fibroblasts, which are cells in skin that manufacture collagen (Sources: Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822; and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, November-December 2007, pages 711–718)."

The 7 day clinical she refers to as "hardly conclusive or indicative of what might happen with long-term use" is found in the source she quoted (Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822), however Paula's review neglects to mention that (Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822) also includes the details of a longer term (8 week) clinical trial. (Pharmazie, December 2009) states on page 820 "Thirty six healthy female subjects 38-63 years old having skin Fitzpatrick types II, III and IV participated in this study..." I find it interesting the there is no mention of this eight week study in her review.

I bought Paula's first book decades ago. I have two copies of Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me and I became a paid member of Beautipedia.com when it originally launched for $24.00 a year. I thought it was gracious of Paula to refund me the unused portion of my annual dues when she decided to discontinue paid memberships.

I am one who has followed Paula for decades, initially trusted all that I read and have since learned that I need to devote some time to other sources if I want to do my due diligence and make the best skin care choices for me.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Valued Contributor

I agree Lyn at one time I wouldn't buy a product without checking what she had to say. I've since found mistakes in some of her reviews. I think she's grown to the point that others are reviewing for her.

As usual on Beauty Banter Perricone is getting trashed. Bothers me because so many love the line so they are working for many. The products are very concentrated so they last a long time. They also run specials so I feel they are affordable. I'm not talking about some of his very very expensive products, I do have my limits and would never spend five hundred dollars ect for a skin product.

I just think calling his products snake oil is a slap in the face to the ladies that use and like them.

Contributor

Just wanted to chime in and say I totally agree regarding Paula's Choices. I've never put a lot of stock in what she says (for me personally).

I have tried a product or two (at most) of hers and they did nothing for me, so that was all the info I really needed from herSmiley Happy

Not trashing her, as I am sure many of her products work very well for others, but I never understood what makes her such a guru regarding other lines (especially since she also offers a line, it makes sense she will, of course, like her line the bestSmiley Happy

Sometimes, I think the ones that are so harsh about hating Perricone products, most likely, have never tried any of them, or think they cannot afford them, when in all reality...all you have to do is shop for deals, they are out there, you just have to put some time and effort into finding them.

Perricone is no more expensive than some other "well liked" lines on the Q, if you shop wisely... and not just depend "always" on the Q... for the best deals!

Valued Contributor

Ordering from the Perricone website can be less expensive when specials are offered. Not tax and no shipping and those two things really add up with the Q. The easy pays always get me though, Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 10/20/2014 lyn in MI said: I am one who has learned to look beyond Paula for unbiased ingredient information, because I've found that there are errors and omissions @ beautipedia.com. An example can be found in Paula's Ingredient Dictionary for the ingredient DMAE. It states, " Small-scale studies of topical application to human and animal skin showed an increase in dermal thickness after seven days, but that’s hardly conclusive or indicative of what may happen with long-term use. DMAE is also known to induce skin cell death and to reduce the proliferation of fibroblasts, which are cells in skin that manufacture collagen (Sources: Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822; and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, November-December 2007, pages 711–718)."

The 7 day clinical she refers to as "hardly conclusive or indicative of what might happen with long-term use" is found in the source she quoted (Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822), however Paula's review neglects to mention that (Pharmazie, December 2009, pages 818–822) also includes the details of a longer term (8 week) clinical trial. (Pharmazie, December 2009) states on page 820 "Thirty six healthy female subjects 38-63 years old having skin Fitzpatrick types II, III and IV participated in this study..." I find it interesting the there is no mention of this eight week study in her review.

I bought Paula's first book decades ago. I have two copies of Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me and I became a paid member of Beautipedia.com when it originally launched for $24.00 a year. I thought it was gracious of Paula to refund me the unused portion of my annual dues when she decided to discontinue paid memberships.

I am one who has followed Paula for decades, initially trusted all that I read and have since learned that I need to devote some time to other sources if I want to do my due diligence and make the best skin care choices for me.

Lyn, thanks for posting this. I really have always listened to Paula B's opinions and after reading some other studies about DMAE, I am convinced I too need to look at other sources.

Contributor

Lyn in MI, it's been so long since I have posted, that I have forgotten how to start a new thread! lol

If you see this, can you help explain what the "Prep" product you often mention, does for your skin? I am now using the Firming Facial Toner and really like it, but how is it different from the Prep product? I think they both say to apply with a cotton pad, so I am just assuming the Prep is of a watery consistence, as well, or am I wrong about that?

Thank you, I've been wanting to ask that question for quite some time! Would a person need both?

Trusted Contributor
On 10/20/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Lyn, thanks for posting this. I really have always listened to Paula B's opinions and after reading some other studies about DMAE, I am convinced I too need to look at other sources.

You're welcome, SoftRaindrops. I've read a great deal about DMAE in skincare and I have no concerns about that ingredient being in my skincare.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007